Snacks question

mtclimbermom

We shouldn't encourage people to play cards and other games in the Horizon Court -- it's a buffet, not a game room, and it's inconsiderate to people who might wish to actually sit at those tables and eat.

Especially on the Coral and Island where the Horizon Court has spectacular views over the bow of the ship. We found on an Alaska cruise in 2007 that some folks just camped out at the window tables on sea days for hours and hours. Just another form of chair hog IMHO. We're on the Coral to Alaska again in July and I can only hope (against hope probably) that the situation will be better.

I'm really annoyed by people who camp out in the Horizon Court, too. They have no concern for people who are walking around with their food and can't find a seat. The Island/Coral have a great big game rooms which are not used very much. If I had a mini, though, with enough chairs and table space, I'd use that. So much nicer.

We like to bring some salty, crunchy items with us. You can imagine that keeping chips from going soggy could be a problem. Just get what your family likes before embarking and keep them in ziplock bags. Chex Mix, nuts, and chips are light weight and easy to carry on.

The view from the HC is much nicer than the game room. That is true of most of the bars. If we buy a drink and sit there and play cards in a bar I don't see that as being any different than anyone else sitting drinking sans cards. Also, the bars are used for trivia, bingo, and other games where people just drink water. I think sitting and reading or playing games or whatever is as valid as any of the other things that go on in those venues.

Taking up a table during the lunch rush or when the HC is busy would be a bit rude. I didn't notice anyone doing that. Mostly at those times people are too busy eating (the main priority of cruising). At other times the HC is sparsely populated.

A lot of the bars (like Skywalker) have lamps built into the tables that make it pretty difficult to play most games.

There is no room in most balcony rooms (on the Star) at least to play anything. Only one little table and it's pretty low. You can't play on the balcony since it's too windy.

The coffee bar next to the International Cafe has excellent tables for reading and game playing and affords you the chance to get a coffee or a drink and snack and hang out with a pretty good view of the outside.

I think it's as fair for someone to be sitting in the Promenade playing a game as it is for them to be sitting there listening to the music or watching a guy juggle. Of course, none of that stuff goes on in the dining rooms or in the HC so the Promenade is a little different case.

For us, cruising is as much about relaxing as it is all the other stuff so having places to just hang out is really nice. Unfortunately, on Alaskan cruises the "outside" hangouts are not as compelling.

Tom

I'm not advocating a card game in the HC during meal times' date=' there are down times when tables are not in demand. I've witnessed lots of card games in the HC.[/quote']

Don't know if someone already mentioned this, but I would bring the cheese plates back to the cabin in a gallon sized ziplock. Disappointed to hear that Princess charges for snacks, but I guess the stewards would be way too busy bringing them to folks in the evenings!

We also bring clips to close bags of snacks bought in port.

Archived