Living full-time on a Princess ship?

PunkiC

It's a forum, for expressing opinions, so I don't need to know these people to do that. Plenty of people say far worse things about members who deign to criticise a cruise line for any reason (RCI are the worst vigilantes).

If someone would like to tell me why they would want to live full time on a cruise ship I will gladly listen, (emphasis added) but I can't see that it would be for any other reason other than a sad one, either because they have no family or friends to leave behind, or, because they are not close to their family or friends. Why else would they do it?

OK, I love having someone who comes in and cleans up after me several times a day. I love the fact that I can go get good food almost anytime I want, and never have to plan, cook or clean up. I love the free laundry and dry cleaning. I love meeting lots of new people every day. I love, love, love going out dancing with my darling every night. I love visiting new and different places.

Why wouldn't I just want to play, play, play all of the time? We have friends and family all over the world and can make arrangements to meet them while we are in port. We might have to have the kids join us from time to time, and take a week or so off now and then to visit them so we can get in our snuggle time, but I am sure we could figure that out.

I also got a note from my Doc today telling me that we wouldn't have any problem getting our meds. Of course, we don't take anything very complicated and currently get 90 day prescriptions automatically.

The more I am thinking about this, the better it sounds, at least for a few years.

When you are well in mind and only need a few meds but are getting frailer for cooking and shopping etc. It is far preferable to live on a cruise ship than an old people's home believe me Lots more to keep the mind active instead of joining 10 other people looking at a TV screen

It's a forum, for expressing opinions, so I don't need to know these people to do that. Plenty of people say far worse things about members who deign to criticise a cruise line for any reason (RCI are the worst vigilantes).

If someone would like to tell me why they would want to live full time on a cruise ship I will gladly listen, but I can't see that it would be for any other reason other than a sad one, either because they have no family or friends to leave behind, or, because they are not close to their family or friends. Why else would they do it?

I think you're confusing physical proximity with "closeness." As our children have pursued their dreams, we've lived on the other side of the country and the other side of the world from them. Doesn't mean we're not "close." And if we chose to pursue the dream of living on a cruise ship, I'm confident our children would still consider our relationship "close."

OK, I love having someone who comes in and cleans up after me several times a day. I love the fact that I can go get good food almost anytime I want, and never have to plan, cook or clean up.

I think the food thing might be the deal breaker for us. We find cruise food too bland for long-term consumption. But I suppose if you lived on the ship almost full-time they'd adjust for your preferences. And with so many Filipinos on the ship, we could always have them raid the crew mess when we want "home-cooking." And we'd probably choose to live on a ship based in Asia/Europe so we'd have lots of good land-based meal choices when we were in port.

I agree with the PP--thanks for starting this thread. Even for those of us for whom it's probably always going to be a pipe dream, it's fun to dream!

I was born with an overabundance of fat genes so I have spent decades eating salad and fish. I teach them how to cook fish on the ship. :p Sometimes it takes two or three shots, but they always seem to get it right in the end. I really don't eat meat.

There is always a wonderful salad bar in the Horizon Court and I love Princess pizza.

A couple of my favorites on the ship:

I order the cheese bowl from the Fetucinin Alfredo and ask them to forget the noodles. Then I break up the cheese bowl over my Ceasar salad for flavor.

I make myself a Mexican salad in the afternoon in the buffet, using sour cream, cheese, avacado if I can get it, onion, lettuce, tomato, and salsa. Sometimes I will add a few corn chips.

So, I am a Mexican food freak and sometimes in port I will succumb to nachos.

But I do know what you are saying about getting board with ship food. Doesn't matter much to me as I have been bored with the food I can eat without turning in to and elephant for the past 50 years and don't really need that many indulgences.

I also thought of Bea Muller, when I saw this thread. She is quite a legend on Cunard. After leaving the QE2, she tried some of the other Cunard ships. She is now in her 90s and uses a walker. We met her about two years ago on the QM2 and enjoyed hearing her stories. At that time, she was traveling with her son. I believe she and her son now sail a couple of times each year.

PunkiC, you have definitely posed an interesting question. I would love to try a world cruise and think I would enjoy spending long periods of time on a ship.

Thanks for bringing us up to date about Mrs. Bea Muller. I seem to recall in one of the articles that she paid about $7000 a month all inclusive for a small single cabin in the QE2, and that included everything. The only extras, if I remember the article correctly, was to have her hair done and to hire gentlemen dance partners on the ship! It seems Mrs. Muller really knows how to enjoy herself ;) I hope she is still relatively healthy and still cruising :) And I agree with another posters that being on a cruise ship is infinitely preferable to be in a nursing home! And it costs just about the same, and the food and the scenery are better on the ship :D

I would not worry about the poster you are referring to. He apparently has no family or friends, so he sits around feeling sorry for others that he perceives to also have no family or friends. I think he likes having the mythical company.

It is sad that you have nothing better to do than pass judgement on others that you don't even know.

Thanks for bringing us up to date about Mrs. Bea Muller. I seem to recall in one of the articles that she paid about $7000 a month all inclusive for a small single cabin in the QE2, and that included everything. The only extras, if I remember the article correctly, was to have her hair done and to hire gentlemen dance partners on the ship! It seems Mrs. Muller really knows how to enjoy herself ;) I hope she is still relatively healthy and still cruising :) And I agree with another posters that being on a cruise ship is infinitely preferable to be in a nursing home! And it costs just about the same, and the food and the scenery are better on the ship :D

Mrs. Muller's story is fascinating. I'm sure she paid to have her hair done. However, the gentlemen dance hosts are onboard all Cunard ships. There is no charge to dance with them. She was an avid bridge player and loved to dance. She told me that her husband had been an excellent dancer. When we met her a few years ago, she was using a walker. I did not see her dancing on that cruise. However, we did see her son dancing. I believe someone mentioned seeing her on a Cunard cruise in December 2011. I think she is enjoying life. What more can any of us ask if we are fortunate enough to live into our 90s.

• 3 weeks later...
Right, nobog, but the last I knew they suggested that you have a minimum of $50,000,000 before you would feel comfortable living on the world.

That let's me out. :o

Darn, I'm about a mil and a half short! HaHaHa

• 3 years later...
We were quite set with this considering turnaround days were in Fort Lauderdale until our insurance carrier dropped Walgreens (or vice versa?) at the end of last year. That really complicated things all around.

I've been reading through this thread and noticed a lot of talk about prescriptions, cost of them, etc. and just wanted to put out one thing that I saw recently on the national news that may or may not be of interest to those who have expensive meds. There is a new company now that has been started by a pair of 20-something young men. The company apparently have contracted directly with a number of pharmaceutical companies and been able to drastically reduce prescription costs for some people. The report, which was on MSNBC evening news in Feb., 2016 is called Blink Health and has a website at http://www.blinkhealth.com. During the report they discussed a lady, from Chicago I believe, who was able to reduce her monthly cost of prescription from $420 to $77. I have looked at the site and it does exist and while it is not of use to me, I do pass this info on to someone who may find it useful so I post it here for informational purposes only.

Tom