Living full-time on a Princess ship?

PunkiC

I would quite fancy living on a ship as a "gentleman host" where my only priority would be taking ladies for a spin around the dance floor but as I am a lady myself this can only remain a dream job! Not that I "like" ladies:o ....just dancing!

Seriously folks, I am in awe! And jealous too! I can't get my husband to commit to a Vacation that is longer than ten nights!

I would quite fancy living on a ship as a "gentleman host" where my only priority would be taking ladies for a spin around the dance floor but as I am a lady myself this can only remain a dream job! Not that I "like" ladies:o ....just dancing!

Seriously folks, I am in awe! And jealous too! I can't get my husband to commit to a Vacation that is longer than ten nights!

You need to just keep stretching him out. That is what I do with my wife. A few years ago my wife objected to anything more than 20 days. Now we have three cruises booked 36, 49 and 48 days. Not up to a WC yet, but working my way there

and are more than a WC

You need to just keep stretching him out. That is what I do with my wife. A few years ago my wife objected to anything more than 20 days. Now we have three cruises booked 36, 49 and 48 days. Not up to a WC yet, but working my way there

Paul,

I believe that after 48 days the next step IS the WC ! ... actually the 36, 49 and 48 days , are more than a WC ..only with more trouble, packing and unpacking 3 times...( trying to help...)

Edited by Sailingpeace

I am ready for a WC; DH is not. And he most likely will never be. We've taken two 9 week cruises, but he says that's his limit. Oh well. :(

Pia,

Maybe if we threaten to leave Jeannie & Mike at home, they will give in.

On our last cruise we ran into a guy who told us that he had made arrangements to live on a Princess ship. According to him, for $57K+ per year you could get an inside cabin on any ship, but you had to sign a contract for the full year and pay up front--no refunds. The gratuity in this instance was $2.00 per person, per day.

He said there were currently something like 115 couples who were living full-time on Princess ships.

Does anybody know anything about this?

What an interesting thread! I love to cruise but as others have said, I'll need to try a WC first to see if I really love it that much :rolleyes:

I know we're talking about Princess passengers here, but nobody mentioned the most famous longtime ship resident - a Mrs. Beatrice Muller, who lived for the QE2 for fourteen years until the ship was decommissioned. She was even written up in the New York Times - it makes for fascinating reading! I've tried to find info on her current whereabouts but found nothing. Anyone know if she's on another ship? Mind you, she was already 89 when the QE2 went out of service permanently and docked in Dubai...

That's not an issue. We received 10 of each of them last winter, plus FCC and TA AND Captains Circle. We did bring wine on occasionally, but what took up space in our cabin was all the goodies we inherited from friends who were disembarking. At one point, we had a pantry in our closet (a storage tub we inherited) of unused minibar items and wine and liquor hand-me-downs. We had to work really hard and be very social the last month to use it all up!

As for bringing wine on board...the interesting thing is that, as you get to know security and the waitstaff really well, I think there could be an opportunity for real abuse of the rules, if one was so inclined (we aren't). I think we'd have had to walk on with a wheelbarrow-full of liquor for anyone to say anything to us. Anytime we brought on wine, and tried to point it out, we were waved on with something less than no scrutiny.

Did you book the cruise as 1 cruise or as segments>

~Doris~

There are no longer any luggage tags to be won. Those were eliminated at least a year ago.

i knowbut when i cruised with Paul it was luggage tags.My last Princess cruise it was playing cards for trivia winners. Also some shopping bags.

~Doris~

Haven't talked Jeannie into a WC yet. Got her up to 49 days next winter. Hoing for 64 days in fall 2013. We will see.

Our longest was the South American on the Star...36 days. If we actually do this one it will be our 60th anniversary. Maybe being together on a small ship in a smll cabin will be the real test.

~Doris~

Can't think of anything worse than living on a cruise ship full time, I like to feel terra firma beneath my feet.

These people who do obviously have no family or friends, or at least no family or friends that mean anything to them, which is very sad, and if they do then it's even sadder that they can leave them all behind.

Can't think of anything worse than living on a cruise ship full time, I like to feel terra firma beneath my feet.

These people who do obviously have no family or friends, or at least no family or friends that mean anything to them, which is very sad, and if they do then it's even sadder that they can leave them all behind.

It is sad that you have nothing better to do than pass judgement on others that you don't even know.

It is sad that you have nothing better to do than pass judgement on others that you don't even know.

It's a forum, for expressing opinions, so I don't need to know these people to do that. Plenty of people say far worse things about members who deign to criticise a cruise line for any reason (RCI are the worst vigilantes).

If someone would like to tell me why they would want to live full time on a cruise ship I will gladly listen, but I can't see that it would be for any other reason other than a sad one, either because they have no family or friends to leave behind, or, because they are not close to their family or friends. Why else would they do it?

Different strokes for different folks. That's exactly why they make red ones and blue ones. :)

I absolutely adore my grown children and talk with both of them every day. We now have 138 members in my husband's immediate family (direct descendants of his parents) and 58 in mine. We have lived in the same neighborhood and attended (and been very involved in) the same parish for 40 years, belong to and are quite active in five different clubs and always have far more options for social engagements that we could ever attend, and I am still very intrigued by the idea of living on a ship.

Of course, our daughter, who happened to be on the cruise and at dinner with us when the gentlemen in question was telling us of his plans to live on a ship, was very dismayed at the idea. She said, "Oh no, Momma, I would never be able to talk to you". We do travel quite a lot so she knows what it is like when we are out of touch, although even on long cruises we e-mail and text almost every day and call when we are in port.

So, I honestly think that people with very full lives can consider living on a ship. Now whether it will every get past the "thinking" stage with us, I can't say, but it is intruiging. :)

Please, If you are going to quote someone and then post a reply, PLEASE read ALL the posts in the thread first. Pam's information that you quoted was in regards to the "Burial-at-Sea of Cremated Ashes".

Also, the last most of us knew, Pam is a she, not a he.

I guess I missed that. There are over 110 posts so you can't expect all people are going to read every single one.

They were talking about some guy who wanted to live on a ship and one of his alleged benefits was that when you die they will do "burial at sea" for free. "Burial at sea" is a specific term that means you are placing the entire body into the sea for burial. This, and the fact that ships do not have a crematorium on board lead me to believe that we were talking about an actual burial at sea, which no cruise line does. Then some other person commented that they did look into this and said it is allowed as long as you are 12 miles out and the remains are in a biodegradable container or put directly into the water. Which is even more ridiculous than the original claim.

It's a forum, for expressing opinions, so I don't need to know these people to do that. Plenty of people say far worse things about members who deign to criticise a cruise line for any reason (RCI are the worst vigilantes).

If someone would like to tell me why they would want to live full time on a cruise ship I will gladly listen, but I can't see that it would be for any other reason other than a sad one, either because they have no family or friends to leave behind, or, because they are not close to their family or friends. Why else would they do it?

So what do you say about people who go backpacking for a year around the world? Are they the sad one also, because they have no family or friends to leave behind?

So what do you say about people who go backpacking for a year around the world? Are they the sad one also, because they have no family or friends to leave behind?

But the title of this thread is about living on a cruise ship.

Nothing about a one-year limit, or even any limit.

A one year backpacking trip is more like a world cruise.

But the title of this thread is about living on a cruise ship.

Nothing about a one-year limit, or even any limit.

Yes. I realise what the title of the thread states.

I was merely curious about the poster who made that observation thought of people who travelled away from friends and family for a lengthy period of time irrespective of the mode of travel. Or whether their comments were solely limited to living of a cruise ship.

Edited by icat2000

Not quite. On a World cruise I would be sleeping in a bed instead of on the ground. Then again, some Princess beds are as hard as sleeping on the ground. :D

Yes. I realise what the title of the thread states.

I was merely curious about the poster who made that observation thought of people who travelled away from friends and family for a lengthy period of time irrespective of the mode of travel. Or whether their comments were solely limited to living of a cruise ship.

I would not worry about the poster you are referring to. He apparently has no family or friends, so he sits around feeling sorry for others that he perceives to also have no family or friends. I think he likes having the mythical company.

What an interesting thread! I love to cruise but as others have said, I'll need to try a WC first to see if I really love it that much :rolleyes:

I know we're talking about Princess passengers here, but nobody mentioned the most famous longtime ship resident - a Mrs. Beatrice Muller, who lived for the QE2 for fourteen years until the ship was decommissioned. She was even written up in the New York Times - it makes for fascinating reading! I've tried to find info on her current whereabouts but found nothing. Anyone know if she's on another ship? Mind you, she was already 89 when the QE2 went out of service permanently and docked in Dubai...

I also thought of Bea Muller, when I saw this thread. She is quite a legend on Cunard. After leaving the QE2, she tried some of the other Cunard ships. She is now in her 90s and uses a walker. We met her about two years ago on the QM2 and enjoyed hearing her stories. At that time, she was traveling with her son. I believe she and her son now sail a couple of times each year.

PunkiC, you have definitely posed an interesting question. I would love to try a world cruise and think I would enjoy spending long periods of time on a ship.

Edited by imacruizer