FLL flight on disembarkation day from Oasis

paramedicduo

First time sailing out of Port Everglades and first time flying in and out of FLL. We will be disembarking on July 21 and I'm looking at 2 different flight itineraries. One would have us on a flight at 10:50am...which I'm thinking is likely chancing it too much?? The other is a 12:05p flight. Would the later flight require self disembarking? I know the pier & airport are close together, but I don't know how crazy it is with that many passengers disembarking?

Secondly, how long would we have to wait for a shuttle to fill & head for FLL? We are travelling with in-laws & we'll never fit the 4 of us and our luggage in a small cab. Their flight is a little later than ours, so I guess it isn't necessary to travel to the airport together, I just imagine it's what we'll prefer.

Any insight is greatly appreciated :)

Take the 12:05. You will make it without any worrying, racing about, or thinking about the tight flights home.

I agree. While the 10:50 flight would be do-able if there are no delays in disembarking or customs and you hustle, you really don't need the stress for just an hour and 15 minute difference.

I would still get off early as FLL gets very hectic on disembarkation day. We have experienced several hours checking in and getting thru security.

I would also recommend taking a taxi ($15) instead of waiting for a shuttle which charges per person and is slower. There are many mini / van type taxis available which could fit all 4 of you. Even so, two taxis would still be better than a shuttle.

I would still go with the 12:05 flight because I always think there is risk with the ship being delayed or something else going wrong. So I would go with that.

With that said our son and daughter in law were on this ship and disembarked extremely early. I want to say at 7:30 AM. They had a later flight and no option to improve it.

Only reason I am mentioning this is if your noon flight is with the same airline as the earlier one then if you get off earlier you could see if you could move up to the earlier flight. Often flights are full but you never know until you ask.

Keith

Although I THINK you can make the 10:50 flight I would go with the 12:05 flight.

We were disembarking off the crown princess right next to oasis and we and some other Oasis passengers were in the airport by 8am, but the airport didn't start getting busy until about 10 am. I knew there were some Oasis passengers in the group with us that made it to the airport early because they were wearing "I <3 Oasis" shirts.

Can it be done? Yes. Is it worth it? NO! I just can't recommend it, way too risky. What if customs doesn't clear the ship right away etc...

I had a closer look at the itineraries and the 10:50 flight get me back home LATER than the 12:05...decision made :) We will still disembark as early as we can, I don't want to be rushing through an unfamiliar airport.

Thanks for the opinions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would still go with the 12:05 flight because I always think there is risk with the ship being delayed or something else going wrong. So I would go with that.

Keith

This can absolutely happen at anytime. Happened to us last year getting off Oasis. Something was going on in the port (heard it was a customs issue). Our scheduled walk-off time (with our luggage) was 8:30am. Something happened right around this time and no one could get off. The line kept backing up and we ended up not getting off until 10:45am. The line was wrapped around and through the MDR. It was stressful for many---we overheard several people talking & being worried about missing their flights. I never book anything before noon, but, we just happened to be staying another day in FLL, so we were good.

First time sailing out of Port Everglades and first time flying in and out of FLL. We will be disembarking on July 21 and I'm looking at 2 different flight itineraries. One would have us on a flight at 10:50am...which I'm thinking is likely chancing it too much?? The other is a 12:05p flight. Would the later flight require self disembarking? I know the pier & airport are close together, but I don't know how crazy it is with that many passengers disembarking?

Secondly, how long would we have to wait for a shuttle to fill & head for FLL? We are travelling with in-laws & we'll never fit the 4 of us and our luggage in a small cab. Their flight is a little later than ours, so I guess it isn't necessary to travel to the airport together, I just imagine it's what we'll prefer.

Any insight is greatly appreciated :)

In March we got off of the Allure doing "self Assist"...at 6:15am...

When you leave the ship, walk all the way to the left ..this is where the parking lot full of taxi's and shuttle buses will be waiting to take everyone to the airport. (10 minute ride $14 plus tip).

We were at the airport by 6:35am...and our flight was at 9:45am.

Smooth as cake.

BUT..BUT..BUT....I have read horror stories of things going wrong...SO...you take your chances...good luck and have a great cruise.

See,

here's the issue. We all know the ride to the airport is short and it's not hard to find a taxi if you are off the ship quickly. However, this question really needs to be decided by you, because you have to ask yourself how much of a gambler you are. Are you willing to play russian roulette and hope the ship doesn't get delayed on the way back to ft. laudy, are you ok with the fact that customs can delay the ship really for however long they deem necessary? IF you are willing to take that chance and book that early flight, then do it. But if you don't make it I hope you are willing for fork out a ton more money to find new flights home. The airlines these days don't care much for no shows and they don't do much to assist you.

Archived