Flying

Ready 2 Go

So, we are cruising on the Magic this year and will be flying down to Texas. I have a 3, 8, 11, and 15 yr old (all boys). My concern is for the 3 and possibly 8 year old. I am not sure how they will do with that sometimes awful feeling you get in your ears when the plane goes up, down, etc. I'm just curious as to what any of you have done to help with this icky feeling for your little ones. I know, when they are younger, giving a binky may help with the pressure, but these guys are older than that. I plan to ask their pediatrician if giving benedryl or something may help, but I thought I would pose the question to the board as well. Thanks for your help.

Gum is tricky with little ones, but we've found good success with gummi bears or other chewy candy.

Got the idea from a dad sitting next to me on a flight once. His little girl (about 2) was complaining that her ears hurt. So dad gave her a couple of gummi bears and said "here, these will help." Little girl looked at them, and tried to put them in her ears! :)

(dad did stop her before she did it, btw)

A decongestant prior to flying helps me...ask you pediatrician. Chewing is helpful, too, if it's only a mild "popping" the ears need. For me, I have intense pain so Sudafed is what I take starting 1 hour before the flight and until the flight is over!

So, we are cruising on the Magic this year and will be flying down to Texas. I have a 3, 8, 11, and 15 yr old (all boys). My concern is for the 3 and possibly 8 year old. I am not sure how they will do with that sometimes awful feeling you get in your ears when the plane goes up, down, etc. I'm just curious as to what any of you have done to help with this icky feeling for your little ones. I know, when they are younger, giving a binky may help with the pressure, but these guys are older than that. I plan to ask their pediatrician if giving benedryl or something may help, but I thought I would pose the question to the board as well. Thanks for your help.

Chewing gum helps and for the littlest one, sucking on a lollipop helps a lot.

If you plan to give them Benadryl or something like that I would strongly recommend you try it at home first. Some kids (mine I learned the hard way) do not get drowsy with Benadryl-it hypes them up! Also, the ear popping is usually not helped by decongestants from my experience.

We have used gum, lollypops or even drinking from a straw when the ears start popping. ALso we make sure to talk with the kids before so they know when it happens that it is no big deal and that they know how to handle it

I wonder if the little ones know to chew gum and spit it out later.

We didn't succeed with our kids - for some reason, they kept chewing and swallowing gum like chocolate candy.

lollypop works or sipping on a bottle of water (bring an empty water bottle with and then fill it from the drinking fountain once you are past security). Airplanes are a bit dehydrating so sipping a bit during ascent and descent helps in more ways than one.

We use a treat called Wine Gums, they are really chewy fruit flavoured (NOT wine lol!) treats. A big bag from Costco will last 4 of us through 2 flights.

I prefer this to medication, as there are less side effects ;)

Thanks guys, these are all great ideas. I never thought of the gummi bears. I have been talking with them to kind of give them an idea of what to expect. I'm not to sure if the 3 yr old completely gets it lol! He knows he is going on an airplane and thats about it. Suckers sound good to. I'll have to make sure I have both in my bad!!

Thanks guys, these are all great ideas. I never thought of the gummi bears. I have been talking with them to kind of give them an idea of what to expect. I'm not to sure if the 3 yr old completely gets it lol!

The reason we talk with them is so that if it happens they don't freak out and think it is something really bad. We also role played with my youngest before we went on a long flight (higher altitude flying and so more popping on descent) so that she would know what to do/ask for if her ears started to feel funny. I think she was about 3.5 at the time. Even if you little one does not fully understand, at least s/he will know that if it happens it's nothing to be scared of. Good Luck and have a great trip!

I haven't heard of a pediatrician that recommends benadryl. (I guess if your child takes it all the time and is used to it?)

That can backfire. We took our lo's, 1 and 5 yo, on a 12 hr flight to Istanbul, so I asked their doc about benadryl and she said no way. It can actually make them anxious, make them extremely sleepy at first, but wake up disoriented or out of it. Not a situation you want on a plane. And supposedly theres a small amount of kids that get the opposite reaction from it, and it makes them wired.

Our daughter has flown 80 times and our son 10-only once did my daughter have ear pain. She was 4, and she was coming down with an awful cold, that day.

Other than that, the kids have never had problems equalizing. I've found that the type of sucking they do from a sippy cup, even a straw, works fine. Take off is treat time, for her to drink whatever she wants, even a little soda. And baby takes the bottle of course.

Other than that, gummy bears are good, or gum.

DD uses "ear planes" They are ear plugs that equalize the pressure slowly. Sold in most drug stores, some have their own brand. Put them in take off, and about half hour before landing. Also our ENT says its not a good idea for you to sleep through landing if you know you have ear problems. If your child is awake feel things aren't right they can try to equalize, but if you're child's asleep and they are prone to problems, they might be startled out of the sleep by ear pain.

Archived