Anchorage to Denali Train- Food?

tonyt

Is the food on the train reasonably priced or is it better to bring a boxed lunch with you?

If boxed lunch, is there a place near the train station to purchase one?

All opinions welcomed

We were on the train from Anchorage to Denali as part of a Princess Cruise Tour, so we were in one of the Princess train cars.

Seating was on the upper level of our train car and on the lower level there was a small restaurant (I think there were 3-4 booths so 12-16 people at a time could eat). They offered breakfast and lunch. And, those who chose not to eat breakfast got to go first for the lunch seating. I ordered a burger and fries and was expecting the worst, not knowing what train food might be like and it was actually very good! I don't remember what I paid...I'm thinking it was maybe around $15. Everything in Alaska is expensive, so it really wasn't outlandish and similar in price to restaurants on land for the same type/quality of food.

It is a long train ride, so you'll either want to plan to eat in the train restaurant or bring your own food.

The train also had appetizers that you could share as well and beverages.

We ate on the train and we ordered a sandwich and nachos. Pretty good food, but with the scenery that you are seeing is without words!:)

They also have desserts. The cobbler is really good. I had a voucher, so I wasn't paying attention to the cost. My sister had the reideer chili and she reeally liked it. I thought it had an awful lot of kidney beans in it, but i didn't taste it, so I can't really say if it was good or not.

Is the food on the train reasonably priced or is it better to bring a boxed lunch with you?

All opinions welcomed

There isn't anything in the immediate depot location for any food. The food on the train, is consistantly good. It's not Burger King prices, but likely an ordered outside boxed lunch won't be either. IF you have a car, then you could just hit a grocery store and bring your own. I don't find the prices out of line on the train.

There is information on the railroad's web site.

Or call their toll free number.

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel/Onboard/Dining/tabid/547/Default.aspx

I looked at the menus on the Alaska Railroad site before our HAL cruisetour. The HAL menu was a bit different from the general menu.

Not sure about Princess menu.

We had breakfast at the hotel, so only did lunch on the train. The cost was $18 for a burger & fries.

The return from Denali to Anchorage was a longer ride, so we had lunch and dinner. I had the best prime rib I've ever had for $28.

The restaurants charge about the same. Buffet breakfasts were $14-$15, lunch was $18-20 and dinner was $25-35. So food prices were higher in Alaska than the lower 48.

Only problem with buying something before the train trip is, there isn't really anyplace to store it. You will have to hold it on your lap. We had the small 12" canvas HAL bags with a few snacks, but again you have to hold it on your lap. Upper level was forward facing seats (like a bus or airplane), then you went downstairs to the restaurant. As others posted, I think about 6 tables was all there was downstairs. The restrooms were also downstairs. And there were areas between the cars where you could stand (and smoke).

Have a great trip!

The food on Alaska Railroad is something I look forward to and do enjoy. Prices are fair for Alaska. As with many menus in Alaska, heavy on meats and desserts.

I usually have my own stash of candy for munching along the way.

(insert excuse here).

If you can't do the stairs to get up to the view seating, be sure to let your cruise line know well in advance. They will seat you on the lower level.

All opinions welcomed

They ask you not to bring your own food. That said, the food served in the dining area is very good. I had a hamburger and fries which was very appropriately priced for the same in an Alaskan restaurant. It was very pleasant to sit and watch out the window as the beautiful scenery passed by.

They ask you not to bring your own food. That said, the food served in the dining area is very good. I had a hamburger and fries which was very appropriately priced for the same in an Alaskan restaurant. It was very pleasant to sit and watch out the window as the beautiful scenery passed by.

Who is "they"?? I rode the Alaska RR the entire run last year, and plenty of people, including me were snacking away on what food we brought on board. I ALWAYS pick up Subway leaving Seward. I have never seen any mention of this, anywhere.

Who is "they"?? I rode the Alaska RR the entire run last year, and plenty of people, including me were snacking away on what food we brought on board. I ALWAYS pick up Subway leaving Seward. I have never seen any mention of this, anywhere.

We were on a Princess Cruise Tour . Our menus were different and we were given an informational brochure that indicated food was not allowed to be brought on the train. I assumed it was because Princess made money off the meals.

I looked at the menus on the Alaska Railroad site before our HAL cruisetour. The HAL menu was a bit different from the general menu.

Only problem with buying something before the train trip is, there isn't really anyplace to store it. You will have to hold it on your lap. !

I have a cruise tour with Grayline which is owned by HAL. so, we will be riding in the HAL cars. We have the longer Denali to Anchorage run. So we will be there for lunch and dinner. It is not that I am too cheap to buy two meals--I just wondered it you could bring on food. Did you see anyone eat anything (even a snack) at their seat?

I have a cruise tour with Grayline which is owned by HAL. so, we will be riding in the HAL cars. We have the longer Denali to Anchorage run. So we will be there for lunch and dinner. It is not that I am too cheap to buy two meals--I just wondered it you could bring on food. Did you see anyone eat anything (even a snack) at their seat?

Yes I did.....even wine. There was no problem. (what could they really do?) We had snacks and things but we did enjoy the meals on board. The HAL cars are nice. They are the coach seat kind. In Denali there is a Subway in Glitter Gulch and several grocery stores that do box lunches. Be prepared for the $10 sub at Subway....

It figures that Princess would have such a policy.

I had called the Railroad a few months ago to ask about bringing food and wine aboard. They said bringing your own food was fine, but alcohol had to be purchased on board.

I always have my own food stash when traveling. Just do and not going to stop the habit.

My husband had a burger and fries and I had the reindeer chili in a cornbread bread bowl. Both were very good. We knew that it was going to be slightly higher in price because it was Alaska and they have a captive audience on the train. It was a nice atmosphere, good service and good food, so we were happy with the experience.

We were on a Princess Cruise Tour . Our menus were different and we were given an informational brochure that indicated food was not allowed to be brought on the train. I assumed it was because Princess made money off the meals.

In the past, Princess didn't allow you to bring your own food, in the dining car. They didn't car what you ate at your table. Nobody, had any of their own food?? Hard to believe- that would have been enforced?

We were just on the Princess train from Whitier to Denali and plenty of people brought foods aboard. My recollention is the the warning was about removing perpared food from the ship rather than taking food on the train. People brought sealed foods (chips, candy, etc.) that perhaps they'd purchased in ports without issue.

We had - of all things - Jamabalaya on one of the Princess cars of the train. We probably wouldn't have ordered it, but the waitress recommended it so we took a chance. Very good! We had pie for dessert, and it was good too. We're from California, land of the high prices, and we didn't really notice things being expensive in Alaska.

Archived