Just back from the May 22nd Cruise

I only have a few minutes but have been reading the concerns on this thread and wanted to share general impressions from our cruise on the American Queen for 7 nights from May 22 - 29.

My wife and I have cruised over 20 times on many lines including a couple of river cruises on the Danube so you can gauge our experience upon which these comments are based.

I thoroughly enjoyed our experience. The food was outstanding. The pastry chef was better than any in my cruising experience.

The shore excursions, done by coach where you can get on an off at your leisure all day while the ship is docked are also very very well done. We think this idea was genius. The guides are from the local communities and know the area and its history very well. I can imagine that some might not have been as talkative as a professional tour guide, but the ones on our excursions were very knowledgeable and friendly.

The shows were fine. As you would expect some were better than others. One singer in particular, the wife of the cruise director, was fantastic. She put on a one woman show that I would have gladly paid to see (which in fact I did, just that it was included in the fare of course).

The Riverlorians were a hoot.

The towns we stopped at were charming and very devoted to making sure things went well. They clearly understand the economic impact happy cruisers can have on a local economy and they act accordingly.

The only have two areas of negative feedback.

One relates to the dining room service. It could be better. I know they are working on it. During our cruise the service was most times satisfactory. But is was spotty. For example each night of our cruise it was a struggle to get two coffees and cream with dessert. We ordered it, the desserts would come, but we had to continually remind the staff that we were waiting on the cofee. Two nights I actually went to a nearby empty table and pilfered the cream picture.

The other shortcoming related to our desire to dance. My wife and I are both experienced ballroom dancers and the Saloon has an excellent floor. But during our cruise the only time it was available for dancing was after the second show, which meant we didn't start until 10:45 and then they just cleared out the first 4 rows of chairs so we could dance in front of the band. We danced there for 4 of the 5 nights it was available, but there were only two other couples in the whole room each night. There is a real opportunity here for GASC to take advantage of.

There really were no other venues suitable for dancing, unless you wanted to more or less dance in place.

Shame because there is a great floor in the Saloon. We picked this particular week because it was called the "Rat Pack" cruise. Their music is great foxtrot and swing music, but the band played mostly jazz and ragtime. (I guess I shouldn't be surprised it was a steamboat out of New Orleans after all : ).

But my main point is that this cruise we very enjoyable and well worth the money.

Oh I almost forgot - we also met several other couples we enjoyed spending time with. There was a mixed demographic from 40's through immobile. But the average was active seniors.

I think you will enjoy this experience if you like cruising.

Very nice review. I spoke to some folks at GASC this week, and while they are still pulling out the occasional tuft of hair over minor mishaps, they are also grinning a lot from the comments they have been receiving and the improvements that have been made. My contact was part of a cruise line start-up almost 10 years ago, and recalled three months of minor mayhem before it settled down to one of the best rated cruise lines. He said things are moving much faser this time! Your review seems to back up his points.

Now you've got me even more fired up about our cruise!

I thoroughly enjoyed our experience. The food was outstanding. The pastry chef was better than any in my cruising experience.

Now, that is what I have been waiting to hear about steamboating on the AMERICAN QUEEN, and I am looking forward to my return to overnight steamboating now more than ever. It's been too long since I last walked the gently trembling decks of the DELTA QUEEN in 2008. Hopefully, by the time I'm on the AQ later this month the service will be commensurate with the outstanding cuisine.

One singer in particular, the wife of the cruise director, was fantastic. She put on a one woman show that I would have gladly paid to see (which in fact I did, just that it was included in the fare of course).

Sounds like Laura Sable and Bill Wiemuth :D!! I saw photos of Laura which she posted on Facebook. Wow!!

steamboats

• 1 month later...

Archived