New York Delta Business Lounge question

alexandra cruiser

We are flying to NY,,JFK,,after flight from Hanoi and wonder about ability to use Business class lounge.Can you pay for it if not on Business class?We do have American Express card and seem to remember that could get you in>?Have a 5 hr.layover I hadn t planned on when Asiana Air switched flights from Chicago.Will be exhausted after such a long flight,,any other suggestions.Do they have hotel "day rooms" there? Thanks for any help.:)

I'm not clear what airline's club you're talking about. Never seen a "business class lounge" per se. If you fly internatinal biz class you should get into your airline's club. If you have an Am Ex Platinum card you can get into many airline clubs. Need to check your card's benefits to confirm which clubs. We've gotten into AA Admirals and US Airways clubs (don't necessarily have to be flying that airline). Otherwise, may have to pay one-way admission. Most clubs I'm familiar with do sell one-day passes, often at a discount if you buy in advance online. I'm sure you know clubs can vary, such as whether or not they have showers, free drinks, etc.

Asiana arrives T-4, JFK. Delta flies from T-2 and 3. So the OP has to change terminals as well as clear immigration and customs. If the 5 hours posted is the time between flights, only really about 3 hours wait time.

No reason I can see why they couldn't buy a one day lounge pass. 3 hours is NOT enough time to go to a hotel, IMHO. As has been posted, depending on the TYPE of Amex card you have, it MAY offer lounge access. You may also want to investigate Priority Pass if you fly more than a couple times a year. http://www.prioritypass.com/

Pricey if this is your only flight for the year. A VERY nice compliment to airport club access by virtue of status, credit card or class of service when your airport doesn't have that access.

I'm not clear what airline's club you're talking about. Never seen a "business class lounge" per se.

AA and BA both have business class and first class lounges. AA calls their first class lounges Flagship. Business class and at airports that don't have Flagship lounges for FC passengers-it is the Admiral's Club.

BA has the Concorde Room for FC passengers at both JFK and LHR. Private dining with white glove service at both JFK and LHR pre flight. Concorde Room at LHR has sleep rooms and free spa treatments. NO ONE else is allowed in.

BA also has two other lounge categories that accommodate business class passengers, status OneWorld fliers and those in first NOT at LHR or JFK.

Etihad, when flying out of Abu Dhabi, has two lounges-one for first, one for business.

I am sure there are other airlines that have a two class lounge system.

DL uses the Oasis lounge in T4, which is outside security. Aside from a paid membership, you would only have access with AMEX if you are flying on DL that day. And that is the AMEX Platinum Charge card, not Credit. If you didn't pay appx $500 for your card, you don't have that one.

Since you don't actually say what airlines you are flying and where, it is all speculation. Details please.

DL uses the Oasis lounge in T4, which is outside security. Aside from a paid membership, you would only have access with AMEX if you are flying on DL that day. And that is the AMEX Platinum Charge card, not Credit. If you didn't pay appx $500 for your card, you don't have that one.

Since you don't actually say what airlines you are flying and where, it is all speculation. Details please.

Just curious-isn't that the same lounge that is offered with a Priority Pass membership?? Nothing to do with DL specifically, as I believe it is owned by the airport and used under contract by quite a few airlines??? I know Kuwait Airline handed me a voucher good for entry when Kuwait Airline had the $2000 RT JFK/KWI first class fares.

Can you enter on a day pass (since it is not DL specific)?

We have used the Oasis lounge in T-4 at JFK, and it is very nice. I'm not sure what airlines you're transferring from and to, but as the above poster stated, it's OUTSIDE of security. If you have to leave a secure area for your transfer, fine..... but if not, I'd just find a spot to sit and wait within the "secure zone" rather than leave and have to deal with the hassle of security to reenter. Also, we got entry to the Oasis Lounge with a "Priority Pass" that is honored at many airport lounges and at some airports it's for valid for an airline specific lounge but the Oasis Lounge at Kennedy is not for a specific airline.

We have used the Oasis lounge in T-4 at JFK, and it is very nice. I'm not sure what airlines you're transferring from and to, but as the above poster stated, it's OUTSIDE of security. If you have to leave a secure area for your transfer, fine..... but if not, I'd just find a spot to sit and wait within the "secure zone" rather than leave and have to deal with the hassle of security to reenter. Also, we got entry to the Oasis Lounge with a "Priority Pass" that is honored at many airport lounges and at some airports it's for valid for an airline specific lounge but the Oasis Lounge at Kennedy is not for a specific airline.

OP is flying Asiana from Hanoi. So have to clear Customs and Immigration and will have to reclear security.

IF the OP if flying into T-4 and then flying Delta to get home, if it was my trip, I would make security clearance after Customs and Immigration into the Delta terminals and get lounge access there.

ANY little glitch outside security could result in problems getting home.

According to the DL website, you cannot access the Oasis lounge in T4 with either a one-day DL pass or with an AMEX card. It does provide access for regular and 30 day SkyClub membership.

I can't speak to Priority Pass, as I have never used that (alliance lounges usually work most everywhere for my travel).

IIRC, it's the only lounge in T4. It's in the middle between the two piers, with a view of the tarmac. Entry is in the middle of the club, and you can go either way -- food drinks etc to the left. Been a few years, so that's t

in regular lounges since priority pass is $99 for yr.with $27 ea visit...and since flying Business class can use the one for Asiana air going there.Travel 2 times/yr.so not worth it.

Also,checked AMEX and NOT platinum,,so thats out..

If they dont have Delta Day passes,,,and outside security,,not much else to do but chill out.

Thanks for info about terminal changes,know that DOES take time.How about a nice bar,,haha?After the flight from Hanoi ,,may just pass out in any old chair,right?

Just flew last nite on Luftansa from Frankfurt,,,after leaving Budapest .So a little jet lagged.Maybe I should opt for Business on Delta flight home??thats an option.Then I COULD get in..whew.:(:o

Delta's lounge is called Sky Club. There is one located in T2 and at least 2 located in T3 at JFK. One day passes are $50 and they can be purchased online.

See below for more information:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/airport_information/delta_sky_club/oneday_pass/index.jsp

I have flown almost 2 million miles on Delta and am very familiar with their Sky Clubs!

in regular lounges since priority pass is $99 for yr.with $27 ea visit...and since flying Business class can use the one for Asiana air going there.Travel 2 times/yr.so not worth it.

Also,checked AMEX and NOT platinum,,so thats out..

If they dont have Delta Day passes,,,and outside security,,not much else to do but chill out.

Thanks for info about terminal changes,know that DOES take time.How about a nice bar,,haha?After the flight from Hanoi ,,may just pass out in any old chair,right?

Just flew last nite on Luftansa from Frankfurt,,,after leaving Budapest .So a little jet lagged.Maybe I should opt for Business on Delta flight home??thats an option.Then I COULD get in..whew.:(:o

IF you are flying Asiana business class, you will have to ask for access to the Oasis lounge. It SHOULD be available. If NOT flying business class on Asiana, you will have to use Priority Pass if you want to go to the Oasis lounge. I think that is setting yourself up for failure as you STILL have to change terminals and clear security BEFORE your flight home on Delta

There are 3 Delta lounges in Terminal 3 and 1 in Terminal 2. ALL eligible for a one day pass. BUT at $50 per pass per person for one day, you are almost better off buying the $99.00 Priority Pass and paying $27.00 to enter (family is free). You can use the $99.00 (+ $27 per visit) Priority Pass for any airport they have lounges available.

I fly in/out of PHX frequently and AA is my preferred carrier. AA closed the Admirals Club a few years ago (and I have a yearly Admiral's Club membership). I use Priority Pass to access the United lounge in Terminal 2, then go to my flight in T-3 if I have a lot of extra time. I can also use the lounge in T -4 but it is more hassle to transfer from T-4 to T-3 than it is to transfer from T-2 to T-3. Just one of the advantages of Priority Pass.

Good luck!!!

go for that pass.Are the lounges nice,,like comfy ,reclining chairs and food? They one we were just in at Budapest airport very sparse and NOT WORTH any extra.

To make things more complicated flying from Orlando to Chicago on first flight,,,then returning to JFK. Asiana cancelled the return flight for that day,so had to scramble to alternative.,,,causing the 5 hr.delay. Have NOT flown thru JFK in ages due to hassles of terminal changes,etc...try to go directly to Orlando,if at all possible. But just no quick way to get from Orlando to Ho chi minh and back from Hanoi,,for river cruise I m taking.But flying beats sailing and can t drive,,,,haha.

Delta's lounge is called Sky Club. There is one located in T2 and at least 2 located in T3 at JFK. One day passes are $50 and they can be purchased online.

See below for more information:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/airport_information/delta_sky_club/oneday_pass/index.jsp

I have flown almost 2 million miles on Delta and am very familiar with their Sky Clubs!

We have stayed at that Sky Club lounge and it is very nice. I took a nap there. You get free wine and snacks as well.

Archived