Help deciding on a cruise please

jsjjkelly

hi!

I'm hoping some of you experts can help me decide on a cruise. Here's some background. On the 4th of November, I turn 40. Since the cruise bug has hit my family pretty hard, at Mothers Day my husband said, why don't you book a cruise for your birthday!! Just some weekend getaway type thing. My husband is active duty too, so we don't often get this opportunity to be so close to ports!!! (We are in Tampa now).

So I've come up with 3 and I need help deciding. We are also taking my 2 kids along with us since we don't have family close by that can take over parenting duty for the weekend.

Also, I realize people really talk bad about Nassau, but on our very first cruise, I took my daughter who was 7 at the time to the Dolphin encounter. My son was 3 and he and my husband never got off the ship. So now that he's older, they want to see nassau. She doesn't really remember much about it either, so she'd like to go back.

So cruise #1 is the ecstasy out of Port Canaveral. Does Nassau and Hmc which we've never been there. $169 a person. It leaves Thursday and gets back Monday morning.

#2 is the Sensation out of Port Canaveral and just goes to Nassau. It's of day shorter than #1, but $22 cheaper and the kids wouldn't miss an additional day of school. This one leaves Thursday and gets back Sunday. $147 pp.

#3 is the Paradise out of Tampa. It just goes to Cozumel and back, and we were just there on the Legend but we had a great time. It's also the most expensive at $194 a person. But it's closer so no drive across the state. This one leaves Thursday and gets back Monday too.

And no matter which we chose, we'd still have to pay to park at the port.

So I was thinking if all the itineraries were close, are any of these ships better/nicer, etc than the others? Which one would you do and why?

Also, being we're going on our big family vacation on the Breeze next June and have a balcony there, we're getting an inside room for this one.

Thanks all you experts,

Shawn

If your kids are "water babies", ie love the ocean, I would choose the cruise that goes to HMC in a heart beat! It's the perfect beach day, you don't have to pack the picnic, they serve you lunch on the island, you don't have to do anything, but grab a beach chair and enjoy the beauty!

That way you are not spending on an excursion, but spending time together. For just 22 bucks more you are geting two days in port. It's not an educational day as far as learninga about new people, the people on the island are basically your ships mates, but since they are missing school you could get some information about the Native Indian tribes that used to inhabit these outer isalnds, and make it a History Learning Day. And then you wont feel guilty they are out of school for an extra day.:) Cruise Happy, and guilt free:D

Thanks Marshhawk! They are exactly that. They don't even want to do Camp Carnival stuff anymore because they just hang out on the slides and the pool, even though we have a pool in our back yard.

And in Cozumel, we were just going to go to Paradise Beach....

We also saw on the website that they have a kayaking excursion on HMC. We've always wanted to try it.

Thanks for your help!

Shawn

Another vote for #1. Although I haven't been on the Ecstacy, I have been to HMC. Best island out there IMHO. The water is amazingly clear. Brinkg a box of cereal out or pack a few dog biscuits and go into the water. You will be soon in a sea of fish! They do nibble a little at you, though, thinking you are food. It is amazing.

Ive been on Ecstasy 4 or 5 times, and my only objection is the ugly blue bathroom floors in the cabins. It is the 2nd oldest ship .. but I have had some really great cruises on that ship and its one that got all the upgrades, new balconies hung on the outside of the ship and waterpark.

I like Nassau ok .. at least it is close. Its Freeport, also in the Bahamas that I could care less about. Its 7 miles to town and not much at the port unless you do a excursion..

Living in TX I dont think the drive to the other coast would be that hard, though I did really enjoy going out of Tampa .. its a easy port to leave from and lots of off site cheaper parking. Hotels were plentiful and very reasonable for even suites.

Wow!!! Everyone voted for the Ecstasy... We are also thinking the drive over there should be under 2 hours from Tampa.

Our royal Caribbean cruise was out of port Canaveral, but we went there from the Disney complex. Even that wasn't a bad trip and disneys only an hour from here.

Thanks everyone!

Shawn

Another vote for HMC...it is beautiful and the kids will love it. The beach is very soft sand, the water isn't rough, there are water toys at the end of the beach closest to the tender area, and it's got the free lunch:) LOVE that island!

We're not big fans of Nassau (been there a lot), but if you're into snorkeling, we did a really good tour with Stuart Cove. Had all our (grown) children with us (most had never been snorkeling) and they all LOVED it! Stuart Cove did a great job!

Have fun and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!:)

Thanks for the referral for Stuart Cove! As a family, we have never tried snorkeling and we've wanted to try. I'll have to go check them out!!

Now I just have to wait for my PVP to get into his office tomorrow!!

Thanks everyone!

Shawn

Thanks for the referral for Stuart Cove! As a family, we have never tried snorkeling and we've wanted to try. I'll have to go check them out!!

Now I just have to wait for my PVP to get into his office tomorrow!!

Thanks everyone!

Shawn

You're welcome! One of the nice things is they pick you up outside the port area and drive you there...it's a distance, so you get to see a good part of the island on your way.:)

Thanks so much! I just went and booked yesterday! I'm so excited!!!

Happy Cruising!

Shawn

Congrats! Have a great time!:D

Brinkg a box of cereal out or pack a few dog biscuits and go into the water.

Okay, call me Debbie Downer, :p but you really shouldn't be bringing food in to feed the fish. Gets them dependent on humans and they expect it. And like you also said, it tends to make them aggressive towards humans. If you have someone snorkeling for the first time and is a bit scared, when they walk in and get swarmed by these fish, it could freak them out. Not a good first experience.

Although I also vote for HMC - which doesn't matter now cause you said you are booked. :)

Okay, call me Debbie Downer, :p but you really shouldn't be bringing food in to feed the fish. Gets them dependent on humans and they expect it. And like you also said, it tends to make them aggressive towards humans. If you have someone snorkeling for the first time and is a bit scared, when they walk in and get swarmed by these fish, it could freak them out. Not a good first experience.

I never thought of it that way, so thank you for your remark. I don't as a rule like to mess with nature and didn't realize that this was a form of that.

I vote for #1 as well. I've never been to HMC, and wouldn't base a cruise on that alone, but for $22, you're getting an extra day and two ports. I think this is what really seals the deal. I've never done a cruise that only has one port of call. Personally, I think anything less than 5 days is too short, but if that's what works, there isn't much you can do about that.

Archived