Review and photos of sea rescue on the allure 6/3 sailing

Hi All.

I am getting ready to go to work but later I will be posting my review of the Allure. Some good, some not so good.

It was an interesting trip with a full on sea rescue. We diverted to rescue cuban nationals in a life raft on Saturday (Ill post photos) and the later the same day we diverted to check out another life raft which was empty. The captain said "Folks, this only happens once a life time"

It was a very unusual experience to say the least so Ill work on it tonight!

Sadric

The captain said "Folks, this only happens once a life time"

Unfortunately, that is not true. Cuban rafters are a daily ocurrance in the Florida Straits and cruise ship rescues have become very common.

Maybe the captian meant once in a lifetime that they'd be called to 'rescue' Cubans in a life raft...?

How awful it must be to be there, that people become so desperate to leave your homeland in a 'water craft' like that and take your chances, maybe even die trying? If those from Mexico can walk through barbed wire, get caught without greencards and commit all sorts of horrible crimes, including murder can stay, why can't those who seek political asylym stay?

How awful it must be to be there, that people become so desperate to leave your homeland in a 'water craft' like that and take your chances, maybe even die trying? If those from Mexico can walk through barbed wire, get caught without greencards and commit all sorts of horrible crimes, including murder can stay, why can't those who seek political asylym stay?

Mixing a political rant in with your cruise comments?

Maybe the captian meant once in a lifetime that they'd be called to 'rescue' Cubans in a life raft...?

What makes you think that all of those refugees are fleeing political persecution and are any better than those walking across our land border? Sorry for perpetuating the political rant. I'm done.

Unfortunately, that is not true. Cuban rafters are a daily ocurrance in the Florida Straits and cruise ship rescues have become very common.

I was on this sailing, and it was a different reason that it was a "once in a lifetime" occurance. Earlier in the day (around noon or so) was when we found the raft of cuban nationals and took them onto our boat. They somehow marked the raft showing that the people on board had already been rescued.

Then around 8 PM that night, they saw this EXACT SAME RAFT (which they didn't know at the time) floating in the distance. Went to rescue it, only to find out that it was the same raft as before! THAT was why he was saying it was "once in a lifetime" occurance. That we came accross this raft TWICE. I don't know how it happened but I do know they were trying to avoid a storm that afternoon and may have taken a weird path.

O.K....I'll bite....how did you see the same raft like 8 hrs apart??? Were you guys going around in circles? Did the raft have an engine and it was parelleling you guys?? lol Inquiring minds want to know how that could happen.

LOL that is what I was thinking! Maybe there was a string attached to the raft and it was following you :p

Not making fun of the poster at all and I do believe what she is saying 100% but that is worthy of the Capt saying, "Once in a lifetime"

How strange!

O.K....I'll bite....how did you see the same raft like 8 hrs apart??? Were you guys going around in circles? Did the raft have an engine and it was parelleling you guys?? lol Inquiring minds want to know how that could happen.

Of course I have absolutely no idea. And neither did the captain. He didn't really elaborate as to HOW it could happen. All I know is that when the boat came to a complete stop for the second time, around 8 pm, we were in our room dressing for dinner. Everyone was out in the hallway, like why the hell are we stopped AGAIN!?!?!? And then he made the announcement, and was like "folks you won't believe this... We saw another raft, went to check it out, and it is the SAME raft, etc...". And that is why he said it was once in a lifetime.

answer... bermuda triangle, right?

Hi All.

I am getting ready to go to work but later I will be posting my review of the Allure. Some good, some not so good.

It was an interesting trip with a full on sea rescue. We diverted to rescue cuban nationals in a life raft on Saturday (Ill post photos) and the later the same day we diverted to check out another life raft which was empty. The captain said "Folks, this only happens once a life time"

It was a very unusual experience to say the least so Ill work on it tonight!

Sadric

Can't wait for your review.

I too was on this sailing and I'm pretty sure it was not the same raft but a different raft (I heard someone say this one was blue) and it was empty and previously marked by the coast guard. It was "once in a lifetime" because we stopped 2x for rafts. A Royal Caribbean bar tender told me that finding a raft happens about every 3 months so of course not once in a lifetime. The ships will only pick up Cubans on Coast Guard orders and of course we can not return to port until they have been handed over to the Coast Guard which is why we stopped 3x. 1- to pick up the Cubans (as ordered), 2- to transfer them to the authorities, 3- to investigate a 2nd raft which was empty and already marked by the Coast Guard (they sent out a CG plane to mark the 1st raft we came across). Not sure why they don't clear the rafts out right away, but that is what happened. Hope this clarifies things.

There's no way it was same raft. But this does show how many are floating around out there.

FYI, raft building in Cuba is a business and many of the rafts encountered by the USCG these days look exactly alike. After getting cleared, they spray paint USCG OK on the side.

Wannab4 is correct. We were also on this cruise in a Starboard balcony and took pics of both incidents as both happened on this side of the ship. The first raft was a big yellow, blow up looking thing. The 2nd raft was blue and looked much more primitive. And I believe that is why Captain said once in a lifetime. 2 rafts in same day...

There's no way it was same raft. But this does show how many are floating around out there.

FYI, raft building in Cuba is a business and many of the rafts encountered by the USCG these days look exactly alike. After getting cleared, they spray paint USCG OK on the side.

One would think that it would be better for the CG to sink (or use for target practice) the empty rafts. The empty rafts could easily be a navigation hazard to smaller boats. Not likely there are any lights on the rafts, so it would be easy for a yacht to run right into them at night.

One would think that it would be better for the CG to sink (or use for target practice) the empty rafts. The empty rafts could easily be a navigation hazard to smaller boats. Not likely there are any lights on the rafts, so it would be easy for a yacht to run right into them at night.

The USCG does sink rafts. However, many of them have foam sides and are not sinkable. They also burn them when possible.

Many derelict rafts are from cases just like this one, where the migrants were rescued by cruise ship. In those cases, by the time the USCG meets the ship, the raft is long gone.

happened to us 3 years ago.

It was middle of the night and we stopped and suddenly there was a horn alert blowing...i jumped from bed and rang guest relations who told me there was a person overboard!

it was chotic..4am and everybody was running to the 4th and top decks and hanging over the sides, the ships search light was on and we done 2 360 turns (no mean feat!!) in the end it transpired that someone walking on deck had heard someone shouting for help from the water. anyways..the captain eventually located a raft and the 3 men were eiched onboard while we all looked on. Very exciting night!!

I too was on this sailing and I'm pretty sure it was not the same raft but a different raft (I heard someone say this one was blue) and it was empty and previously marked by the coast guard. It was "once in a lifetime" because we stopped 2x for rafts. A Royal Caribbean bar tender told me that finding a raft happens about every 3 months so of course not once in a lifetime. The ships will only pick up Cubans on Coast Guard orders and of course we can not return to port until they have been handed over to the Coast Guard which is why we stopped 3x. 1- to pick up the Cubans (as ordered), 2- to transfer them to the authorities, 3- to investigate a 2nd raft which was empty and already marked by the Coast Guard (they sent out a CG plane to mark the 1st raft we came across). Not sure why they don't clear the rafts out right away, but that is what happened. Hope this clarifies things.

Stacy (or is this Todd? lol) thanks for clarifying I was going to say that I definitely didn't think it was the same raft when we were all sitting at dinner that night.

Are the occupants of the raft asking for help or to be rescued? If so, I understand, however, their only chance of being able ot stay in the US is if they actually touch US soil...if they are "rescued" at sea, they are returned to their homeland, unless they have heavy proof of political persecution. The CG patrols out a lot further than our 3 mile limit.....

I woudl assume unless they are severely dehydrated onr in danger of sinking, many would prefer to continue on their way to try to get to land.

Are the occupants of the raft asking for help or to be rescued? If so, I understand, however, their only chance of being able ot stay in the US is if they actually touch US soil...if they are "rescued" at sea, they are returned to their homeland, unless they have heavy proof of political persecution. The CG patrols out a lot further than our 3 mile limit.....

I woudl assume unless they are severely dehydrated onr in danger of sinking, many would prefer to continue on their way to try to get to land.

When Cuban migrants embark a cruise ship, they do so willingly. A cruise ship cannot force their hand, nor can the cruise ship be ordered to do so by the USCG. If they do not want assistance, they are not in distress, therefore the ship has no duty to render aid. Only the USCG or other federal law enforcement can forcibly embark them upon their vessels.

When Cuban migrants embark a cruise ship, they do so willingly. A cruise ship cannot force their hand, nor can the cruise ship be ordered to do so by the USCG. If they do not want assistance, they are not in distress, therefore the ship has no duty to render aid. Only the USCG or other federal law enforcement can forcibly embark them upon their vessels.

I'm not sure that my statement was clear about the Coast Guard ordering the Allure to pick up the Cubans. What was told to me was that Royal Caribbean does not pick up Cubans unless instructed to do so by the Coast Guard. Royal Caribbean notifies the Coast Guard of any vessels in "distress" before stopping to assist and only assist if requested by the Coast Guard.

I'm not sure that my statement was clear about the Coast Guard ordering the Allure to pick up the Cubans. What was told to me was that Royal Caribbean does not pick up Cubans unless instructed to do so by the Coast Guard. Royal Caribbean notifies the Coast Guard of any vessels in "distress" before stopping to assist and only assist if requested by the Coast Guard.

Well, yes and no. The responsibility to stop and render aid is inherent. If they are in distress, there does not need to be USCG guidance to embark them. However, the cruise line must immediately notify the USCG and obtain guidance for what to do from there.

BTW, I'm USCG. ;)

Well, yes and no. The responsibility to stop and render aid is inherent. If they are in distress, there does not need to be USCG guidance to embark them. However, the cruise line must immediately notify the USCG and obtain guidance for what to do from there.

BTW, I'm USCG. ;)

Oh sure, lets just go and ruin a great thread with actual facts from a very knowledgeable poster. :p ;) :D

Aquahound, thanks for the clarification, and a sincere thank you for your USCG service from me!

Eric

I did not take these photos but saved them from my new friend Aaron's (Stroh33) facebook photo album. You will see the refugees being released to the Coast Guard, a close-up on the refugees in their raft, and the Royal Caribbean rescue boat towing the refugees' raft to the Allure.

coastguardhandover.jpg.7fbf48f92ef677f9758906a2182210cd.jpg

cubans.jpg.16ebf5006f506c62dcea291353f9fb57.jpg

raftandRCrescueboat.jpg.46d22d105c99045eb1985b491ca89d01.jpg

Archived