• I buy travel insurance from a private company
    • I buy it for the total amount of the trip
    • I only buy it for the cruise portion of the trip
    • I only buy it if an iffy situation exists at home
    • I buy a policy that is limited to airlifting in an emergency
    • I buy travel insurance at time of booking
    • I buy travel insurance at time of final payment
    • Other - please explain below

Just curious, If you don't tell the insurance company about these items how are they going to know?

A couple of things about this:

1) Since most people don't even know about this restriction, they tell the insurance company, which results in a denial.

2) If it's something like airfare, they assume that you have it if you don't live in the area.

3) They can ask to see your records.

Don't get me wrong. I buy insurance. I think it's a good product. I think that they're ethical. But if they have a reason to deny, they'll find it.

How did you get coverage through your AmX card? I have one and didn't know it came with travel coverage.

Hi, I don't know if every AmX card has it, (there are so many types) you need to read the fine print, on mine, as long as you pay for the entire trip with the card, I get a certain amount of insurance coverage.

You have some danger in doing it this way. You might be aware of it or not, but I want to point out a little known provision in most travel insurance policies.

Do you want the pre-existing condition waiver? If you do, pretty much everyone knows that you have to buy the insurance either (1) within a certain number of days of the initial deposit or (2) within a certain number of days of final payment. Which one applies depends upon the insurance company. But what many people don't know is this: To maintain the pre-ex waiver, you have to insure the full value of any nonrefundable payments that you've made for the entire trip. Thus, for example, you have to insure the plane trip too. If you've prepaid for a hotel room, made a nonrefundable deposit on an excursion, bought tickets for an attraction, etc., you have to raise your insurance within a certain period of time. If you don't, then the pre-ex waiver is gone.

I don't do the pre-existing condition insurance... the numbers just don't add up for us... but I do understand that for people in a certain stage of life, (or with relatives at a certain stage) it's important, but for us, right now, it's not something we do.

Do you want the pre-existing condition waiver? If you do, pretty much everyone knows that you have to buy the insurance either (1) within a certain number of days of the initial deposit or (2) within a certain number of days of final payment. Which one applies depends upon the insurance company. But what many people don't know is this: To maintain the pre-ex waiver, you have to insure the full value of any nonrefundable payments that you've made for the entire trip. Thus, for example, you have to insure the plane trip too. If you've prepaid for a hotel room, made a nonrefundable deposit on an excursion, bought tickets for an attraction, etc., you have to raise your insurance within a certain period of time. If you don't, then the pre-ex waiver is gone.

YES! The pre-existing condition waiver is very important, but I am not sure that there is a need to have ALL of your travel costs fully insured in order to get that coverage. We have done Travelex in the past and I do not believe that has been one of their requirements. Which company had you used and was that a specific requirement? I am going to check more with our travel agent and explore this detail/question more.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 86,833 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I did check with our very experienced travel agent and found out that we are covered through Travelex, even buying it within that initial booking period, but at a lower than total cost level. Part of the "reality" is that you are not going to know ALL of your total costs when booking 18-months, a year or six months ahead. Even a month away from your departure, your total costs will not be completely finalized and known. One of the key points is that a little information can be tricky and/or confusing. That's why a skilled travel agent is important, plus knowing to ask the right and best questions. Clearly different insurance companies and exact policies will vary. It's important to check, clarify and know more on these various details. When you order a policy, you can examine these details on-line and you usually have a period of time after buying it to get the copy of the policy, read it, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 86,833 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Archived