• I buy travel insurance from a private company
    • I buy it for the total amount of the trip
    • I only buy it for the cruise portion of the trip
    • I only buy it if an iffy situation exists at home
    • I buy a policy that is limited to airlifting in an emergency
    • I buy travel insurance at time of booking
    • I buy travel insurance at time of final payment
    • Other - please explain below

Good posting and questions. Lots of factors to consider, especially as ALL of us age, facing health issues and questions, etc. We don't buy for all of the cruise, air and other costs. We use the

http://www.insuremytrip.com

website and then search to get the right mix of coverage, price, being primary coverage, rating the insuring company, etc.

Most times we have ended up using:

http://www.travelexinsurance.com

But you need to get the right coverage without spending too much. We had worries in 2010 with the Iceland volcano, etc. In today's fast-changing world, especially in going to Europe, Asia, etc., there are many options/challenges that can pop up.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 86,659 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 72,626 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Since we live very close to the US and go down there often for day trips, we buy continuous travel insurance from a private company. If our cruise is a long one, we top up the number of days on the policy. I think travel insurance is very important. You never know what could happen even if you are young and healthy.

It appears that I am in the minority, but I usually buy insurance from the cruise line for two reasons.

The cruise line insurance doesn't consider age, so it is often less expensive or the same as a policy purchased from a private company for someone my age.

I like the fact that if you need to cancel for a reason not covered by the policy you can use the money you have already spent as a credit toward a future cruise.

Since we live very close to the US and go down there often for day trips, we buy continuous travel insurance from a private company. If our cruise is a long one, we top up the number of days on the policy. I think travel insurance is very important. You never know what could happen even if you are young and healthy.

We do the same! We have an annual policy (Medoc), any number of trips during the year (of 30 days?) and then top up days if needed.

For me I like to check all my options. TA's Insurance, Cruise lines Insurance & Insurance Brokers such as http://tripinsurancestore.com/ , http://www.insuremytrip.com/ or http://www.squaremouth.com/. I find that every trip is unique so it pays to shop. Right now I have 4 cruises booked and I am using all of the 3 options!

I have on occasion bought travel insurance, e.g. during hurricane season in Florida. I would also purchase travel insurance if I were planning to travel to Europe or traveling for an extended period of time, not to mention the cost involved.

I have ALWAYS purchased from Disney when we lived in Washington and had a planned vacation at WDW in September. When cruising, I purchased directly from the cruiseline.

I'm never sure how to purchase travel insurance, as there are so many "exceptions" that I feel the travel insurance will always find a loophole NOT to pay. :confused:

Needless to say, I will be following this poll closely.

Thanks for posting this poll.

We buy our insurance from a third party, usually Travelex, and we always buy within two weeks of booking our cruise to cover pre-existing conditions.

Some people are only concerned with cancellation coverage, but we are also concerned with medical and, most importantly, evacuation coverage. We have seen a few people airlifted from ships, and that's a bill I don't want to have to pay out of my pocket.

I'm on Medicare, which has no coverage out of the country. Until January of this year, my supplemental insurance had no coverage outside of the United States either. My new policy has some limited coverage out of the country, but it's not enough to make me comfortable.

We've had one trip cancellation in the 25% penalty period, and several medical claims in the $200-400 range for trips to the ship's infirmary. All were paid promptly.

If I were younger or had different private insurance coverage, my choices might be different, but I'm the type of person who feels more secure if I have insurance. In my younger years, when the idea of insurance didn't seem important, I lost money on a couple of trips for unforseen reasons (illness and death in the family, etc.) and I learned my lesson.

It appears that I am in the minority, but I usually buy insurance from the cruise line for two reasons.

The cruise line insurance doesn't consider age, so it is often less expensive or the same as a policy purchased from a private company for someone my age.

I like the fact that if you need to cancel for a reason not covered by the policy you can use the money you have already spent as a credit toward a future cruise.

Never thought about that.

Thanks!

:)

Gah! I meant to click on that option and not the first one listed.

Ah well. :o

Anyway, having trip insurance at least eases your mind "just in case" something pops up unexpected. :)

This is what we do too. We are covered for up to 60 days outside the country in any one trip.

Sheila

I have only bought it once... back when the Iceland volcano was affecting travel in Europe. I meant to buy it for my last European cruise in May, but I forgot and just took my chances. I don't need it for health reasons, only for trip delay/cancellation if weather affects our flights out.

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

If Celebrity told someone they couldn't board the ship because they had a cold or stomach ache, and this person did not have travel insurance, would Celebrity have to reimburse them for what they paid for the cruise?

I am not referring to people who have norovirus or a serious condition, but rather minor ailments that wouldn't have even been an issue a few years ago.

We had never bought travel insurance until our Feb 2012 Island Princess cruise. My father is 94 and I was worried that a health situation (or worse) would cause us to cancel this cruise. Well--two days before we were to fly to FLL, I tripped and shattered my right wrist. (Required surgery with a bracket, three screws, and four pins and several weeks of occupational therapy). We bought the insurance through Princess and got our check from their insurer two weeks after filing.

Our upcoming X cruise, we bought through the cruiseline--I thought it was a bargain. $89/person (AQ cabin and included our flight as we purchased through choice air).

If you can modify the poll...you need another category which is "I buy separate insurance to get me home in an emergency" (medjet/...)

ghstudio - there is no way for me to modify the poll after it is created. However, I think this option on it covers this situation:

"I buy a policy that is limited to airlifting in an emergency"

I buy it from a private company when final payment is due, I don't exactly insure the entire trip, I buy an amount that falls just below the next price tier increase. I also have some coverage through my AmX card.

How did you get coverage through your AmX card? I have one and didn't know it came with travel coverage.

Have never bought travel insurance other than medical coverage for out of the US. Because we book only suites what we have saved (self-insured)

over the last 50 years will more than pay for a last minute cancellation should we need it.

I buy it from a private company when final payment is due, I don't exactly insure the entire trip, I buy an amount that falls just below the next price tier increase. I also have some coverage through my AmX card.

You have some danger in doing it this way. You might be aware of it or not, but I want to point out a little known provision in most travel insurance policies.

Do you want the pre-existing condition waiver? If you do, pretty much everyone knows that you have to buy the insurance either (1) within a certain number of days of the initial deposit or (2) within a certain number of days of final payment. Which one applies depends upon the insurance company. But what many people don't know is this: To maintain the pre-ex waiver, you have to insure the full value of any nonrefundable payments that you've made for the entire trip. Thus, for example, you have to insure the plane trip too. If you've prepaid for a hotel room, made a nonrefundable deposit on an excursion, bought tickets for an attraction, etc., you have to raise your insurance within a certain period of time. If you don't, then the pre-ex waiver is gone.

You have some danger in doing it this way. You might be aware of it or not, but I want to point out a little known provision in most travel insurance policies.

Do you want the pre-existing condition waiver? If you do, pretty much everyone knows that you have to buy the insurance either (1) within a certain number of days of the initial deposit or (2) within a certain number of days of final payment. Which one applies depends upon the insurance company. But what many people don't know is this: To maintain the pre-ex waiver, you have to insure the full value of any nonrefundable payments that you've made for the entire trip. Thus, for example, you have to insure the plane trip too. If you've prepaid for a hotel room, made a nonrefundable deposit on an excursion, bought tickets for an attraction, etc., you have to raise your insurance within a certain period of time. If you don't, then the pre-ex waiver is gone.

Just curious, If you don't tell the insurance company about these items how are they going to know?

Archived