British Isles Trip Review w/Pics: A Thesis :)

DeloreanGirl

You will need some Euros for Dublin and also for LeHavre. All the rest will be pounds. You probably only need a small quantity in case you want to buy something at a market or something small, where you might not be able to use a credit card if the item is less than a certain amount. You can get euros on the ship , (at a higher rate) or at an ATM in Dublin or LeHavre. I have always found it useful to have a small amount of the currency because you never know if you can find an ATM when you need one, or if you have time to look for one. We'll be on the Ruby in June, and plan on having some Euros, smaller bills if we can get them.

You will need some Euros for Dublin and also for LeHavre. All the rest will be pounds. You probably only need a small quantity in case you want to buy something at a market or something small, where you might not be able to use a credit card if the item is less than a certain amount. You can get euros on the ship , (at a higher rate) or at an ATM in Dublin or LeHavre. I have always found it useful to have a small amount of the currency because you never know if you can find an ATM when you need one, or if you have time to look for one. We'll be on the Ruby in June, and plan on having some Euros, smaller bills if we can get them.

You will most likely be visiting Cohb (Cork) as well. There is interesting shopping at the woolen mills if you take an excursion to Blarney or Kinsale. You can use a credit card, but it is probably worth the trouble to have some Euros available there as well.

Sent from my iPad

You will most likely be visiting Cohb (Cork) as well. There is interesting shopping at the woolen mills if you take an excursion to Blarney or Kinsale. You can use a credit card, but it is probably worth the trouble to have some Euros available there as well.

Sent from my iPad

Oh, I forgot all about Cobh. Thanks for the reminder! Lol

for our june 29 british isles cruise & land trip last year,

we ordered euros & pounds at our bank in early june -

they arrived a few days later on june 5 in various small

to large denominations

since we were staying in london & southampton for 10 days

prior to the cruise, plus we used justairports service from

airport to hotel & great britain cars from london to southampton

via windsor, we probably needed a lot more than if we were only

on the cruise

we made up small envelopes for all these services plus the private

van excursions to hand to the transport drivers & the tour coordinators

at the m & g - this way much of our expenses were "sorta prepaid"

however, we still used credit cards at blarney woolen mills, stores

restaurants, museums, hotels, plus used atm (lots more !!!!!:eek:)

along the way as needed !!!:D

this was the amount from receipt i still kept in wallet

400 euros = $554.16

600 GBP = $976.98

Edited by loma linda ca a & j

They beat me to it! :) Yep, Euros for Ireland and France and pounds everywhere else. We had to spend the rest of our Euros to get rid of it but needed more pounds by the time we got to London. The Capital One Venture card was a safe card to use on all big stores/attractions/pre-booking.

Thank you all for your helpful information. It definately changes the amount we were going to bring for each currency. We are staying in the Hyde Park area of London 4 days precruise. Does anyone recommend the London Pass with travelcard?

Thank you in advance,

Cindy :)

• 2 months later...
Emily, thank you for making this post. I know that this took a great deal of time and effort. Since this thread started, I see in your signature you had a child. Congratulations on the new baby.

bruce...

Thank you! He is on vacation every day. I, however, am not. :)

download_zpsede58200.jpg

I'm already eyeing a Princess Pacific Coastal for next spring. The cruise bug has bitten me!

he is just too darn cute !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you back to work or just working 24/7 at home ??

ann & jim

I (and my bosses) knew years in advance a family was in the works. I left on great terms and visit them often! Being at home is 24/7 for sure! We'll see how this goes for a year or two or more and then I'm marching up to the doors of Princess across town with my resume! :rolleyes:

Edited by DeloreanGirl

I (and my bosses) knew years in advance a family was in the works. I left on great terms and visit them often! Being at home is 24/7 for sure! We'll see how this goes for a year or two or more and then I'm marching up to the doors of Princess across town with my resume! :rolleyes:

He is just precious, Emily! Lookin' like he's already prepared for a coastal cruise! And I can not think of a better Princess employee/PR person than DeloreanGirl! We sail Aug. 3rd on our British Isles cruise. This weekend, will re-read some of your thesis as a refresher! Watching the weather so can plan our packing. So excited! Thanks again for your remarkable assistance.

emily,

there is nothing more rewarding than to be

at home with your child the first couple of years !!

princess will love having you !!!

• 1 month later...

When I first read this review a couple of years ago, I was instantly convinced that a British Isles cruise was for me!!! I loved EVERY post and EVERY photo in the review and actually created my own document with only the review posts.

Well now I need to re-read the whole review as I've just booked the Royal Princess out of Southampton on May 9th 2015 with my son who has moved from OZ to London this year and will turn 30 on May 15th - we should be in Greenock!!!

A million THANK YOUs to you Emily for painting the most vivid and exciting picture of your experience that I haven't been able to get out of my head for 2 years.

Living the dream, just as you are now with your precious son.

When I first read this review a couple of years ago, I was instantly convinced that a British Isles cruise was for me!!! I loved EVERY post and EVERY photo in the review and actually created my own document with only the review posts.

Well now I need to re-read the whole review as I've just booked the Royal Princess out of Southampton on May 9th 2015 with my son who has moved from OZ to London this year and will turn 30 on May 15th - we should be in Greenock!!!

A million THANK YOUs to you Emily for painting the most vivid and exciting picture of your experience that I haven't been able to get out of my head for 2 years.

Living the dream, just as you are now with your precious son.

Wow, what a shock to wake up and read this e-mail! Thank you SO much for the sweet words!!! I am thrilled that you were able to book your dream vacation and, even better, spend it with your son! I haven't been able to get the vacation out of my head for the last two years. Your own trip will be even that much more special! Enjoy every minute of the planning process!!!

Emily,

What an incredible review! I've lived in both London and Edinburgh and my family is from Scotland, so this brought back some wonderful memories. It also spurs me to look at a British cruise!

I hope you had a wonderful time on the Norwegian Pearl. Did a Coastal on her a few years back, including a stop in Astoria, and had a wonderful time.

I do hope you get a job with Princess. You have the enthusiasm, and the writing style, to be a great representative for a company which does a wonderful job looking after their customers.

Emily,

What an incredible review! I've lived in both London and Edinburgh and my family is from Scotland, so this brought back some wonderful memories. It also spurs me to look at a British cruise!

I hope you had a wonderful time on the Norwegian Pearl. Did a Coastal on her a few years back, including a stop in Astoria, and had a wonderful time.

I do hope you get a job with Princess. You have the enthusiasm, and the writing style, to be a great representative for a company which does a wonderful job looking after their customers.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

The P.Coastal was great and I'd probably do it again. Wish I had spent more time in Oregon while the opportunity was there.

Hi Delorean girl,

I enjoyed your British Isles review so much and now we're back from our British Isles cruise as well. I'd love to invite you over to my review, maybe I can repay some of the fun moments you blessed us with. Be my guest!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2094891

Stef

Hi Delorean girl,

I enjoyed your British Isles review so much and now we're back from our British Isles cruise as well. I'd love to invite you over to my review, maybe I can repay some of the fun moments you blessed us with. Be my guest!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2094891

Stef

I would be honored! Had no idea MSC even did British Isles cruises. Thanks for sharing the link!