British Isles Trip Review w/Pics: A Thesis :)

DeloreanGirl

I haven't read through the review yet - need to get ready for New Year's Eve :D But I am wondering if anyone can tell me WHEN the sailings for the British Isles are open for booking? We are looking into July of 2016 and I don't see anything on the website yet for that month.

You're right, it looks like they only have the April-Sept 2015 dates up. I'd hope by spring they will have 2016 dates and itineraries up.

You're right, it looks like they only have the April-Sept 2015 dates up. I'd hope by spring they will have 2016 dates and itineraries up.

I just read that Princess has sold the Ocean Princess - which did most of the British Isles cruises. This is going to be harder to have figured out ahead of time....:confused:

I just read that Princess has sold the Ocean Princess - which did most of the British Isles cruises. This is going to be harder to have figured out ahead of time....:confused:

Wow! Hadn't heard that. Hopefully Caribbean, Grand, or Ruby will step in? Are you looking for a 12-day or the 8-day itinerary? Ocean did the 8-day, no?

Edited by DeloreanGirl

• 2 months later...

Another fan here! I have had your review bookmarked for a few years now. It made me want to do this cruise. Never been to Europe. Booked a TA and the British Isles as a b2b. All within the past 12 days. We leave April 23. If anyone else reads this I would suggest allowing more time for planning!! It has been my full time job planning this for the last week or so. Don't want to miss a thing.

Thank you again for this wonderful review !

Another fan here! I have had your review bookmarked for a few years now. It made me want to do this cruise. Never been to Europe. Booked a TA and the British Isles as a b2b. All within the past 12 days. We leave April 23. If anyone else reads this I would suggest allowing more time for planning!! It has been my full time job planning this for the last week or so. Don't want to miss a thing.

Thank you again for this wonderful review !

Holy smokes, less than a month for planning!! :eek::eek: Kudos to you! What an amazing itinerary you have lined up back to back! Have a blast!

First of all...AWESOME review!

My question is... Since on formal nights you opted to go to the buffet, can you tell me if you noticed an average of how many other cruisers shared your experience? If it was awkward having an after dinner drink or enjoying a show without formal attire?

Formal Nights~We personally can take them or leave them and depending on the sailing that's exactly what we do :p

Smiles,

Patty

First of all...AWESOME review!

My question is... Since on formal nights you opted to go to the buffet, can you tell me if you noticed an average of how many other cruisers shared your experience? If it was awkward having an after dinner drink or enjoying a show without formal attire?

Formal Nights~We personally can take them or leave them and depending on the sailing that's exactly what we do :p

Smiles,

Patty

Hi Patty!

I don't remember the buffet being crowded at all on formal nights, and everyone dressed normally. Granted, the crowd on this itinerary was a bit older so everyone was dressed rather nicely (and a bit warmly) even on "casual" nights. It definitely wasn't a tank top and flip flop cruise!

No awkwardness at all with post-dinner entertainment and mingling around the ship in casual attire. Even if we were to dress up for dinner, I know my husband would be running back to the room to undo his tie and change into comfortable clothes as he has done in cruises past.

Many folks strolled around in casual pants, khakis, etc. Since there were only 2 formal nights out of the 12, we decided to save the room in our luggage and forgo the dressy attire.

Gotta another question :p

I see you mention you were surprised by how much territory you covered on foot in such a short amount of time. So if you were to do it again and time and money were not an issue, besides the moving there option ;) How many days would you plan for visiting London? I was leaning towards 5nts in order to have 4 FULL days to explore.

Thanks kindly for all your helpful advice!

Patty

I see you mention you were surprised by how much territory you covered on foot in such a short amount of time. So if you were to do it again and time and money were not an issue, besides the moving there option ;) How many days would you plan for visiting London? I was leaning towards 5nts in order to have 4 FULL days to explore.

Patty

i am another "fan of Emily" - i read her review the year we were planning our trip - we are much older w/ slight mobility issues

so we did not walk as much as she did but we enjoyed our 5 nights

at luna simone b & b with the bus 24 available at our front doorstep which enabled us to see quite a bit every day including windsor castle on way to southampton

also spent 5 nights in southampton so we could visit different towns by taxi & bus to winchester, salisbury, portsmouth - i wrote a quite detailed review of those 10 days - not sure how to include it here but you could find it by clicking on my "name" if you wish to do so ! :)

we want to do the same trip again someday !

hope yours is magnificent !! ;)

i am another "fan of Emily" - i read her review the year we were planning our trip - we are much older w/ slight mobility issues

so we did not walk as much as she did but we enjoyed our 5 nights

at luna simone b & b with the bus 24 available at our front doorstep which enabled us to see quite a bit every day including windsor castle on way to southampton

also spent 5 nights in southampton so we could visit different towns by taxi & bus to winchester, salisbury, portsmouth - i wrote a quite detailed review of those 10 days - not sure how to include it here but you could find it by clicking on my "name" if you wish to do so ! :)

we want to do the same trip again someday !

hope yours is magnificent !! ;)

Found it! Thank you so much! :)

Patty

Hi Patty!

Clever, as I would want to move there! If I were to do it again, I would stay at the same hotel (Park Plaza Victoria I believe) and would still walk to all the highlights. I think 4 days would be perfect! If there's a place you want to dedicate a full day to (museum, countryside, etc.) you would have that option plus a few other days to hop around the city. I really enjoyed the HOHO buses over the Tube as they were a great way to take in the sights.

If user "JohnBull" is still on the British Isles messageboard, he should be of huge help also!

Edited by DeloreanGirl

Hi Patty!

Clever, as I would want to move there! If I were to do it again, I would stay at the same hotel (Park Plaza Victoria I believe) and would still walk to all the highlights. I think 4 days would be perfect! If there's a place you want to dedicate a full day to (museum, countryside, etc.) you would have that option plus a few other days to hop around the city. I really enjoyed the HOHO buses over the Tube as they were a great way to take in the sights.

If user "JohnBull" is still on the British Isles messageboard, he should be of huge help also!

How far from the Park Plaza was the nearest HOHO stop?

Thanks.. :)

Victoria & Grosvenor Gardens. Just a couple of blocks. We are going to stay at the Park Plaza next month.

Perfect! Thank you!

Did you find any deals on that hotel through any of the booking sites?

Edited by Kenswing

Perfect! Thank you!

Did you find any deals on that hotel through any of the booking sites?

I checked their website and then checked Priceline (not the name your price part). Priceline had a better rate so I booked with them. Hotwire didn't list them at the time.

• 10 months later...

First off, Awesome review. My wife and I are taking this cruise in June and thanks to your review we have way too many shore plans now... LOL

Since this is our first UK cruise we have decided to most if not all of the tours through the ship. We are even booked for a pre-cruise three-day stay in London and plan to do the HOHO bus you mentioned. We are staying at the Pullman Hotel which is right close to most everything.

Again, thank for the great review...

First off, Awesome review. My wife and I are taking this cruise in June and thanks to your review we have way too many shore plans now... LOL

Since this is our first UK cruise we have decided to most if not all of the tours through the ship. We are even booked for a pre-cruise three-day stay in London and plan to do the HOHO bus you mentioned. We are staying at the Pullman Hotel which is right close to most everything.

Again, thank for the great review...

Thank you so much! Can't believe it's been almost 4 years! It's still been my favorite vacation to date. Glad I could be of some help with the shore excursions! Can't go wrong booking them through the ship as well for peace of mind.

Emily, this is my chance to thank you also. We are booked on the May 8 British Isles cruise, and I have your review bookmarked. I've read it several times already and taken many of your hints. Plus, your enthusiasm is so contagious, it's making us even more excited! I can't believe the amount of time and detail you put into your review. It's a classic!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow so after looking through your tours we had so many tours booked through the ship. Over 2K worth. Now with your guide, we have about three. You saved us about 1K. We have decided to do most of them on our own. Thanks again...:):):)

Thanks so much for your wonderfully descriptive memoirs! We are in the process of planning our 25 day trip leaving June 1st which beholds.....5 days in London. 4 days in Paris, 2 days in Southhampton, at a friends house (Whom we meant on a cruise), and hopping on the Caribbean Princess for a 12 day BI cruise ... Trip of a lifetime and our retirement reward. Once again, thank you! Noreen from CA

Hi Emily, it has been so much fun to read your review and remembering that fabulous voyage and the lovely people we met like you and Melissa. The BI cruise also remains one of my favourite cruises which I would take it again in a heartbeat! Thanks for the memories.

Sandy :)

Hi Emily, it has been so much fun to read your review and remembering that fabulous voyage and the lovely people we met like you and Melissa. The BI cruise also remains one of my favourite cruises which I would take it again in a heartbeat! Thanks for the memories.

Sandy :)

Agreed! Hope you are doing well, Sandy!