Rome on a Segway or should I say Segwaaaaaaay!!!

ali-ali-oh

Having just returned from our cruise starting and ending in Rome, I had to post on this thread about our Segway excursion as there didn't seem that much information available before we went and it was so much better than I ever expected it to be.

Anyone considering this I would seriously recommend it. It was without doubt the BEST excursion/trip we have ever done. As someone who is not particularly co-ordinated, I had my doubts about my ability to ride one, but it really was soooooo easy once you got the hang of it (after about 5 mins I was a pro). I also expected it to be a tour consisting of mainly teenagers, but I was wrong. the average age group of our tour was 60ish.

We were in a group of 6 (7 if you count the tour leader). Everyone was given a helmet and a radio headset and then we were taken to a quiet area and one by one assisted to learn to ride - then given about 30 mins to get used to it. It literally takes five minutes. You can go as fast, or slow as you want by simply tilting your feet. You don't have to worry about throttles and gear changes or anything like that. To change direction you simply tilt the handlebar - what could be easier. By the end of the tour I felt I'd been riding one all my life and it was far easier (and less effort) than riding a bike.

After a day and a half running around Rome, mainly on foot, it was so nice to be able to take the easy route. Whizzing up hills and covering so much more ground than we would have done with a walking guide.

Our tour lasted about 3 hours and we had lots of opportunity to stop (and even sit down if you wanted to) and take pictures on route. We covered lots of the big names like the Colosseum (Coliseum), Circus Maximus, Arch of Constantine, Roman Forum, Capitoline Hill etc and lots of other stuff as well. Our guide was very well educated (he had studied archaeology at university) and answered all our questions and was really easy to understand both through the headset on route and in person when we stopped.

Anyway, just thought I'd drop by and give you my insight. Any questions please feel free to ask.

Alison

PS - (We organised this ourselves not through the ship.)

We won't have time in Rome this trip, but we do love Segway tours so thanks for the info.

A quick note - the Segway uses muscles you are not normally used to (and it is effectively standing). Doing ankle stretches and calf exercises a few days before will really help.

What company did you book this with? We once did a night time Washington, DC tour on segways and loved it! We'll be spending 4 nights in Rome pre-cruise in September, and this sounds like something to look into.

Not to take anything away frm the OP's experience, but I have also read about fun golf cart tours of Rome for the little less intrepid cruisers! That sounds like fun too. Guided or unguided. Especially for the mobility-challenged it sunds like a great way to get around.

I completely agree with the OP! We did a 4 hour Segway tour in Rome with Italy Segway Tours last month and it was a blast. They are so easy to learn to ride and so much fun too. We saw much more than would have been possible if walking everywhere and weren't exhausted at the end of the tour either. If/when we get back to Rome we intend to contact them again for their night time tour!! Great FUN!!!:D

What company did you book this with? We once did a night time Washington, DC tour on segways and loved it! We'll be spending 4 nights in Rome pre-cruise in September, and this sounds like something to look into.

Try Italy Segway Tours. They have night time tours too. It was a blast and I recommend doing it on a Sunday if possible also. Automobiles are not allowed around Ancient Rome on Sundays during the day so the Segways were even easier to maneuver because you didn't have to dodge the notorious Rome traffic. Have fun!:)

It was indeed Italy Segway Tours. We did see others around, but they didn't seem as informative as ours and they seemed to be much bigger groups. We enjoyed it so much when we got back to the office we tried to book the night tour as well for the same night, but it was not available. The night tour does a completely different route, so definitely one for a return visit (one day hopefully).

Alison

• 1 month later...
How hard is it to get to the Segway location? I will be doing it on my own.

Thanks!

We got a cab as we were running late and didnt want to miss our slot, but I imagine it's fairly easy to get to and the segways are usually lined up outside the shop.

Archived