What is your favorite thing about the Explorer of the Seas

I am an NCL fan, but our friends and family are thinking about the Explorer- 9 day from NJ in the summer of 2013. What do you like the most about Royal Caribbean, and how the this ship? How does the dining work? I have only done the freestyle and that is what I like about the NCL style of cruising. I thank you for your helpful comments.;)

We love the Explorer especially since it's 9 days instead of the usual week and we can drive to the port. I'll be back on the Explorer next week for the 3rd time.

There is my time dining if you don't like the two traditional dining times.

I love the observation deck on the heilpad. Its a great place to get away from the crowds, either day or night. I am amazed more people don't take advantage of that spot!

The staff is amazing, be it room steward, dining room or bar staff. They are friendly and personable, and quick to learn your name and preferences.

We have used both My Time dining and traditional dining, and enjoy both for different reasons. Also, the buffet in the Windjammer for dinner is a nice option.

What do I like best about the Explorer? That I will be on it for 10 days in March! :D

Other than that, I can't offer anything. I've only ever been on the Liberty of the Seas. From what I'm hearing, it's all about the staff and the customer service on this ship. I've heard nothing but positives about it, so I can't wait!

The staff

The ice shows

Driving to the port

The cookies

Cookies are the best but I do like driving to the port and the staff is great. Dizzies is also a favorite. Great for reading during the day (and a cold one)

Love the crew especially Claudia at the Crown & Kettle! The last full dayn at sea on the Explorer we were sitting at this bar and watched about 100 people come up to hug her, thank her and wish her well. Look her up if you sail the Explorer.

Nancy

We have sailed several cruises with RCI and, I must admit, that the Explorer was our least favourite ship. Mostly it was because the crowd on our particular sailing was a mix of Jersey Shore and Real Housewives of NJ types. Also, we were comparing it to the Navigator, which was slightly newer and had a few extra ammenities.

That being said, a 9-night itinerary is pretty sweet.

And for those who haven't sailed, the Explorer has a lot of the great Voyager class venues and attractions:

Ice Skating Rink (and show)

Rock Climbing Wall (though we have never done this)

The Pub

The Aquarium Bar (our favourite place on this ship to drink- love those mojitos!)

The Prommenade

Prommenade cabins as a compromise between cost and having a window

I've never sailed NCL so I can't compare but I'm sure that your family and friends will have a good time.

My favorite thing about Explorer of the Seas is that it doesn't have a chandelier in the main dining room. It creates it's own look with a brilliant star burst on the ceiling. I believe it is the only ship not to have a light fixture in the middle of the dining room.

I am an NCL fan, but our friends and family are thinking about the Explorer- 9 day from NJ in the summer of 2013. What do you like the most about Royal Caribbean, and how the this ship? How does the dining work? I have only done the freestyle and that is what I like about the NCL style of cruising. I thank you for your helpful comments.;)

Did EOS twice. Fabulous cruises.

The best thing was 9 days. That was absolutley perfect.

I also found the passengers pretty interesting, the Mid Atlanic types from Washington to Boston, all parts in between. A lot of interesting people, and many were experienced cruisers, familiar with the ship, so it made for an enjoyable time.

Lunch sea days in the diningroom has a served salad bar with a lot of choices, along with a complete menu.

The 10:30 p.m. welcome parade, Dancing in the Streets 70s party and The Qiest in the ice rink.

Friendly, efficient staff, lots of fun activities, "go around deck", Johnny Rockets -- just a wonderful ship.

Try fixed dining -- beats making a reservation each night. :)

rivacationgirl,

We have done Explorer 2 times, the last one being May, 2012. We have done 5 and 9 day cruise. We liked the 9 day the best.

The ship is very nice, but is going to be refurbished I think in 2013 or 2014, I forget.

It needs it in some areas more than other. (don't get me wrong, it still a pretty nice ship)

Can't wait to see what they will do to it.

Favorite part of Explorer of the Seas is the Promenade. We just love it. Since you have only cruised with Norwegian, you will find this to be a very beautiful area of the ship.

This is where you want to be for all the parades, 70's party, snacks, drinks and all the

shops. Lots of good stuff happening there, very nice.

We are RC first-timers going on Explorer in October, so this is a great thread for us.

Which dining options are included in the fare and which are "extra"? Are there upscale specialty restaurants on the ship, such as a steakhouse, etc?

Do you need to make reservations in advance for any of the shows/ice shows? I thought I had heard that RC was doing this on some of their ships.

Thank you!!

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are RC first-timers going on Explorer in October, so this is a great thread for us.

Which dining options are included in the fare and which are "extra"? Are there upscale specialty restaurants on the ship, such as a steakhouse, etc?

Do you need to make reservations in advance for any of the shows/ice shows? I thought I had heard that RC was doing this on some of their ships.

Thank you!!

The only show that needs a reservation is the ice show.

All others in the main theater, just go and enjoy. We found the entertainment exceptionally good, and the theater is a great place to see a show.

The Royal Promenade - - essentially a street or pedestrain mall running down the middle of the ship - - distinguishes the larger RCI ships from any other line's ships. It makes for a unique experience.

Explorer has a quite friendly crew.

The Johnny Rockets and the Italian specialty restaurant are quite good.

Thank you!!

Regarding reservations: on Explorer, none of the shows require advance reservations made online. (that's only for the larger ships)

Onboard, they will distribute free tickets to the ice show. This is for crowd control, as the arena is rather small and they need to disperse the passengers over 4 showtimes. Pay attention to the cruise newsletter (Compass) which will let you know when the tickets will be distributed. It's usually the morning of Day 2, but not always.

Going on the Explorer in October. This will be our first RCCL cruise. I see someone posted earlier that you had to make reservations everyday for anytime dining? We have had any time dining on other ships and just showed up is that not the case on the Explorer? I ususally like a set time but because we are docked in Bermuda I figured we would go with any time dining so we didn't have to rush back to the ship.

Are there lots of deck chairs? I have found that on some ships they don't have near enough deck chairs for passengers.

Does RCCL have a specialty frozen drink? What is the average cost for a beer or a frozen cocktail on RCCL?

Going on the Explorer in October. This will be our first RCCL cruise. I see someone posted earlier that you had to make reservations everyday for anytime dining? We have had any time dining on other ships and just showed up is that not the case on the Explorer? I ususally like a set time but because we are docked in Bermuda I figured we would go with any time dining so we didn't have to rush back to the ship.

Are there lots of deck chairs? I have found that on some ships they don't have near enough deck chairs for passengers.

Does RCCL have a specialty frozen drink? What is the average cost for a beer or a frozen cocktail on RCCL?

You dont have to make reservations for My Time Dining. Royal Caribbean will encourage you to do so, however it isn't necessary and you can just show up anytime you wish.

Archived