Anybody back from the Pearl?

visconti4

Just a few questions.

What night is dress up or not night?

What time should we plan on being up the day we cruise Glacier Bay, to see us entering the bay?

Is one side of the ship better than the other as far as the view goes?

Thanks! Have been on Sawyer Glacier cruise twice, but never Glacier bay. I am so Excited!!!!!

I was on the pearl last November it was a carribean cruise... All I can say was it as the most horrible experience ever... The staff was rude, no dress up nights it's all "freestyle" dining ... But if u want a greatest definatly do the steakhouse!

On Pearl with family in May, 2012--great trip. Monday night was formal night and either Thursday or Friday night. It was actually hard to tell because both nights the dress seemed about the same. Since we had a large family group with teenagers we opted not to dress up but never felt out of place in Summer Palace (which we preferred.) Enjoy your trip!

Forgot to answer your Glacier Bay question--actually enter the beginning of the bay about 6AM. Rangers start talking about 7AM. We went to Spinnaker Lounge about 6AM (my husband needs a seat) and already the front row seats were taken. Folks started gathering up there at 4:30AM. We have been to all Alaska glaciers on 4 different cruiselines but I thought NCL did a great job, ie. National Park Ranger on board all day to give commentary, answer questions, etc. You should reach the Margerie glacier (most attractive) about 10-11AM but the entire morning is not to be missed. Doesn't really matter which side of ship; rotates at Margerie glacier then heads back out. For me, I have to be out on the top deck to get the 360 view.

Have fun!

I was on the pearl last November it was a carribean cruise... All I can say was it as the most horrible experience ever... The staff was rude, no dress up nights it's all "freestyle" dining ... But if u want a greatest definatly do the steakhouse!

Well at least you are consistent. This is the third post saying basically the same thing. Did you not do any research ahead of time to know that NCL was "freestyle"? NCL is not for everyone, thats why there are so many choices. Enjoy your cruise on Carnival, I hope it is more to your liking.

OP: dress up or not night is exactly what it says. It appears the reason they call one or two nights "dress up or not" is perhaps to encourage more to dress up, in place of casual on those nights and/or to promote photo ops. Although I didn't really notice a difference in anyone's choice of clothing between one night and the next. I seen a few more dressed up perhaps. And the photographers are in the atrium every night. The one dress up or not night usually has a "photo with the captain" opportunity.

Just got home from the June 3 - June 10th sailing to Alaska on the Pearl.

The "Dress up or not night" is listed in my Freestyle Daily as Day 2, but as others have said, you might not notice a difference in the attire in the dining rooms. It did seem that it was more a chance for more formal photos to be taken. That is also the night that there is opportunity for a photo with the Captain. It seems like I remembered seeing a second "Dress up or not night" (DUONN) listed during the trip, but I can't find it in the Dailys now.

As an aside, although the DUONN was day 2, lobster night in the MDR (Summer Palace, at least) was the first night.

We were up very early on Glacier Bay day. (The sun rose at 4:03 am, after setting at 10:06 the night before). So we were up by about 4:30 am. Although we didn't really enter the bay until about 7 am, there was so much to see prior to that. We were on our balcony-starboard (and our parents' balcony-port) the entire morning. Prior to entering Glacier Bay, there were so many sea lions, otters, dolphins, and a few whales. I'm so glad we didn't wait till we entered the bay to start the lookout. And, it's just so exciting to see that first chunk of ice floating alongside the boat. :D

As far as which side of the ship is better...for Glacier Bay, it really didn't seem to matter. They really do a good job of making sure all have a good view. As I said, we were in a Starboard balcony, and although we often went to my parent's room (port) just to see what was different, the only time we felt that we didn't have a great view was in Victoria. The Port side had a better view of the lights at night than we did.

Have a great trip! :)

@che5904 no need to be rude about it... I actually did do research on it and knew what freestyle was... That wasn't the only problem... It was a horrible experience from the beginning even with the boarding passes... As far as me being consistent why shouldn't I say what happened I was treated poorly ... I will try NCL again in the future maybe it was an "off" cruise... We are all entitled to our opinions right?

Just a few questions.

What night is dress up or not night?

What time should we plan on being up the day we cruise Glacier Bay, to see us entering the bay?

Is one side of the ship better than the other as far as the view goes?

Thanks! Have been on Sawyer Glacier cruise twice, but never Glacier bay. I am so Excited!!!!!

Have a great time! I have been excited for over a year waiting to take this cruise. I wish they had special meals delivered to the cabin so you don't have to miss anything. Alas...a balcony fits our budget so no full breakfast that I know of but we will get the what ever they serve. Someone on a another thread(sorry I don't remember which" wrote about great drinks they will bring to the cabin.

Someone on a another thread(sorry I don't remember which" wrote about great drinks they will bring to the cabin.

The Glacier Bay drinks are wonderful. I had to put out the "menu" of drinks to place my order, so I don't remember what all was offered (for a fee of course) or the name of the drink that I ordered, but it definitely warmed me up out on that balcony. :D

You just mark the number of which drink(s) you want to order, and the time you want it delivered, and voila! Just make sure you can hear the knocking at the door if you are out on your balcony! ;)

Just back this morning.

Monday is dress up night. Photos in the grand atrium and photos with the Captain.

Either side is fine for glacier viewing as they turn around so everyone gets a God view. We were in the Spinnaker lounge and enjoyed that a lot. I will say, go early. The couches in the corners appeared to have people who slept there to save the seat(had pillows and divers from the room). Nearly everyone brought food from the Garden Cafe. Was a great day. Even saw 3 black wolves along the shore that day. And, the glacier was calving a couple of times.

Enjoy!

Imagine if your most horrible experience ever really was being on a cruise ship where everyone was able to dress pretty well as they pleased and you could eat where and when you wanted.

The staff must have been really rude!

@ Keith maybe I just had an "off" experience .. Doesnt really matter anyway apparently it seems unless u had a super time no one wants to hear you... As far a my worst experience ... No it wasn't but having said that I did spend hard earned money to have my vacation ...

@ Keith maybe I just had an "off" experience .. Doesnt really matter anyway apparently it seems unless u had a super time no one wants to hear you... As far a my worst experience ... No it wasn't but having said that I did spend hard earned money to have my vacation ...

I was just having a little dig at the description of it as the most horrible experience ever, which reads as a pretty huge exaggeration.

You are, of course entitled to your opinion, and I think you will find that people do want to hear about it. However, the references to freestyle and no formal nights really do distract from the rest. As an NCL cruiser, I would be concerned about rudeness from staff, but the rest of your comment does make it sound as if you have some sort of agenda. I'm not saying that you do, but that's how it reads.

Of course, whether the whole comment was really appropriate on a thread where someone was looking for specific information on a cruise is another matter, and for that reason I will leave it at that and let everyone get back on topic

We cruised Alaska last year on the Pearl and loved it. Dress up or not is a great idea as it allows the freedom to dress up or not. The thing that amazed me is that during the night in the bars people in Tuxes sat talking and laughing with people in track suits (sweats I think you mak know these as).

Oh yes the Glacier Bay drinks with additives were devine. You get to keep the thermal mug as well and can get top ups on the top deck. The ship turns so it does not matter where you are you will ge a great view of the glaciers. :D

Enjoy your cruise as I am sure you will. We are doing it all again next year....so exciting.

My wife and I will be on the Pearl from July 8th to the 15th to Alaska and we can not be more excited. I read above the steakhouse is a great meal does anyone have any other suggestions/experience with the other resturtants on the ship?

Prem, the Pearl's hotel director, was very proud to be able to say at our Meet 'n' Greet that the Pearl has been number one in customer service fleetwide for six months. And our customer service experience last month definitely met that standard. It's always disapointing when someone's vacation doesn't meet their expectations, but the Pearl is generally a very popular ship for a reason. I would sail her to Alaska again (but I would really rather do a Panama Canal trip instead! And I will.;))

My wife and I will be on the Pearl from July 8th to the 15th to Alaska and we can not be more excited. I read above the steakhouse is a great meal does anyone have any other suggestions/experience with the other resturtants on the ship?

My mom and I had a spectacular meal in Le Bistro. The beef tenderloin was a perfectly prepared piece of meat the size of a softball, and the rack of lamb was superb. The appetizers were wonderful, and our server convinced me to have two desserts. (I didn't regret it!:cool:)

Prem, the Pearl's hotel director, was very proud to be able to say at our Meet 'n' Greet that the Pearl has been number one in customer service fleetwide for six months. And our customer service experience last month definitely met that standard. It's always disapointing when someone's vacation doesn't meet their expectations, but the Pearl is generally a very popular ship for a reason. I would sail her to Alaska again (but I would really rather do a Panama Canal trip instead! And I will.;))

I've got to place my Pearl vote with yours. We've sailed on her three times (once was the PC cruise), and have another PC cruise on her in a few months. The crew has always been wonderful. In fact it's almost like returning to family when we board now, and my wife is now on FB with a couple of them. To each his/her own. But in my opinion, no one should be at all afraid of cruising on the wonderful Pearl. Oh...and I might add, our last cruise on her was also last Nov and a Caribbean cruise. Amazing how different perceptions of the same event can be.

Archived