Feminine product question

Gemynii

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. Just got a visit from Aunt Flo, which means that I'll be getting another visit while on our first cruise. :mad:

How should feminine products be disposed of on the ship? I know that pads and applicators should be thrown in the garbage, but can a tampon be flushed or do they recommend that it be thrown away as well? Does anyone bring their own deodorized bags for this? I'm already feeling sorry for our room steward. :o

On an old thread, I read about a product called "Instead"... has anyone tried this on their cruise? If so, is it something you would recommend?

Thanks for the help.

The only things that should go down a ship toilet is body 'stuff' and toilet paper. (If the toilet backs up it is a major problem and you could be charged for the back up.)

Everything else is disposed of in the trash can. The room setward will provide bags or you can bring your own.

Do a forum search for "Aunt Flo" Several threads pop up.

The only things that should go down a ship toilet is body 'stuff' and toilet paper. (If the toilet backs up it is a major problem and you could be charged for the back up.)

Everything else is disposed of in the trash can. The room steward will provide bags or you can bring your own.

Do a forum search for "Aunt Flo" Several threads pop up.

Same answer here.:cool:

didn't even think about actually searching "aunt flo". :p
Nor would I. I don't use that phrase ever in real life, so I wouldn't think to search for it.

In our HAL & Princess cruises, there have been wax-lined paper bags in the bathroom (and in the public bathrooms). When used, they are replaced by the room steward.

As for tp, ONLY use what's provided on the ship:eek: [yes, that issue comes up - no pun intended - occasionally as well]

I have, for a 2-3 year period, used my birth control pills back to back and skipped periods (not using Seasonale, just using my regular birth control pill - AFTER I discussed it with my doctor) I personally find I have increased spotting when I do that, which can be more inconvenient (less easy to prepare for) than my actual period, which, since I'm on the Pill, tends to be very regular.....Something to think about for the future. Probably won't help you for your upcoming cruise.

Good to know that baggies are provided. :)

I haven't been on the pill for over 15 yrs because of the warnings for smokers and over 35. I'm currently trying to quit smoking by using an eCig (down to 2-3 a day... yay for me), but I'd rather not take the chance.

I may go out tomorrow and buy some of those "Instead" things to try at home to see how they work. Fingers crossed.

I tried them several years ago, liked them as well as/possibly better than tampons (which is like saying I enjoy bleeding a quarter of my life, so not really a ringing endorsement) but then couldn't find them again and forgot about them.

I like the idea more than the execution, and removing/emptying them in a public restroom is not something I would ever want to consider, and really painful if you have longer nails and miss. Also, when you tip the cup over (and you're going to- I think I did more often than not) when you're taking it out, you're going to need to wear either a pad or pantyliner anyway, which sort of defeats the whole purpose.

Drugstore.com does have a ton of reviews.

I tried them several years ago, liked them as well as/possibly better than tampons (which is like saying I enjoy bleeding a quarter of my life, so not really a ringing endorsement) but then couldn't find them again and forgot about them.

I like the idea more than the execution, and removing/emptying them in a public restroom is not something I would ever want to consider, and really painful if you have longer nails and miss. Also, when you tip the cup over (and you're going to- I think I did more often than not) when you're taking it out, you're going to need to wear either a pad or pantyliner anyway, which sort of defeats the whole purpose.

Drugstore.com does have a ton of reviews.

They're supposedly in stock at a couple of stores near me. I figure that, for $6-$8, they're worth a try. It would be nice to be able to go 8-12 without worrying about it and that would be plenty of time to get to a private bathroom. I went on YouTube last night and watched review videos. Some women recommend changing them while in the shower to avoid a mess. I didn't even think about my nails. They are pretty short now but I was considering getting acrylics when I went in for a mani/pedi so that I wouldn't have to worry about chips and breaks on the cruise. I'll have to see about having the tips cut to a shorter size if the Instead cups work for me.

Thanks for your help. :)

Definitely in the trash....wrap in toilet paper and put in the bags provided.

I never flushed those things at home, either...too much likelihood of clogs!

Yeah... it's not fun to have a plummer snake your pipes (no pun intended) and find that it's feminine products causing the clog.

Makes you just want to cringe in the corner in embarrassment. :o

Thanks for your help.

I've seen Diva Cups (a similar product, from what I can tell from a quick search online) at Target and Walmart as well. I know on the Women's board on Flyertalk some posters are very happy with them - love for travel.

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. Just got a visit from Aunt Flo, which means that I'll be getting another visit while on our first cruise. :mad:

How should feminine products be disposed of on the ship? I know that pads and applicators should be thrown in the garbage, but can a tampon be flushed or do they recommend that it be thrown away as well? Does anyone bring their own deodorized bags for this? I'm already feeling sorry for our room steward. :o

On an old thread, I read about a product called "Instead"... has anyone tried this on their cruise? If so, is it something you would recommend?

Thanks for the help.

I use Instead Cups. LOVE them. I don't use paper products, and Instead is the only disposable product I use. I love that they are disposable (vs. needing to be rinsed) while I'm out, and that you can wear them while being intimate and that it is clean when you do.

But toss them...don't flush anything down the toilet other than the ship TP. The room steward knows that is part of life. There are paper bags in the public restrooms, but weren't any in our room. So I just grabbed some from the public restroom and brought them back with me. You can rinse the Instead before tossing....so that cuts down on odor.

They're supposedly in stock at a couple of stores near me. I figure that, for $6-$8, they're worth a try. It would be nice to be able to go 8-12 without worrying about it and that would be plenty of time to get to a private bathroom. I went on YouTube last night and watched review videos. Some women recommend changing them while in the shower to avoid a mess. I didn't even think about my nails. They are pretty short now but I was considering getting acrylics when I went in for a mani/pedi so that I wouldn't have to worry about chips and breaks on the cruise. I'll have to see about having the tips cut to a shorter size if the Instead cups work for me.

Thanks for your help. :)

So removal isn't messy...sit back on the toilet, lean forward a little and pull out...then tip into the toilet. Practice at home after you get your nails done. I have longer nails and don't have a problem.

I've seen Diva Cups (a similar product, from what I can tell from a quick search online) at Target and Walmart as well. I know on the Women's board on Flyertalk some posters are very happy with them - love for travel.

I love my Diva Cup. I didn't take it on the cruise though, because it's so much more convenient to have the disposable Instead Cups. And the Diva sits differently and cannot be worn in romantic situations...which was important to my on our vacation.

I looked at the reviews for the Diva Cups as well. Then I watched videos on folding them for insertion. They seemed a bit... ummm... big and awkward, but the posters said you don't feel it when it's in. Diva Cups are not sold locally here, but if the Instead Cups aren't successful, I may have to order one to try out.

Thanks.

I use Instead Cups. LOVE them. I don't use paper products, and Instead is the only disposable product I use. I love that they are disposable (vs. needing to be rinsed) while I'm out, and that you can wear them while being intimate and that it is clean when you do.

But toss them...don't flush anything down the toilet other than the ship TP. The room steward knows that is part of life. There are paper bags in the public restrooms, but weren't any in our room. So I just grabbed some from the public restroom and brought them back with me. You can rinse the Instead before tossing....so that cuts down on odor.

So removal isn't messy...sit back on the toilet, lean forward a little and pull out...then tip into the toilet. Practice at home after you get your nails done. I have longer nails and don't have a problem.

I love my Diva Cup. I didn't take it on the cruise though, because it's so much more convenient to have the disposable Instead Cups. And the Diva sits differently and cannot be worn in romantic situations...which was important to my on our vacation.

Thank you for sharing your experience with these products. When I get my Instead Cups, if I have any embarrassing questions or problems, I know who to ask. :eek:

Thank you for sharing your experience with these products. When I get my Instead Cups, if I have any embarrassing questions or problems, I know who to ask. :eek:

You're welcome. And that is a learning curve, but it's worthwhile to persevere :)

I'm currently trying to quit smoking by using an eCig (down to 2-3 a day... yay for me), but I'd rather not take the chance.

Just wanted to say congrats on your success so far! Quitting for me was a process, but now - a decade later - I'm still so thankful that that stuff is out of my life. Good job! :D

Just wanted to say congrats on your success so far! Quitting for me was a process, but now - a decade later - I'm still so thankful that that stuff is out of my life. Good job! :D

Thank you. :)

Nor would I. I don't use that phrase ever in real life, so I wouldn't think to search for it.

In our HAL & Princess cruises, there have been wax-lined paper bags in the bathroom (and in the public bathrooms). When used, they are replaced by the room steward.

As for tp, ONLY use what's provided on the ship:eek: [yes, that issue comes up - no pun intended - occasionally as well]

I have, for a 2-3 year period, used my birth control pills back to back and skipped periods (not using Seasonale, just using my regular birth control pill - AFTER I discussed it with my doctor) I personally find I have increased spotting when I do that, which can be more inconvenient (less easy to prepare for) than my actual period, which, since I'm on the Pill, tends to be very regular.....Something to think about for the future. Probably won't help you for your upcoming cruise.

I do the same thing! I do not do it often. But if I am going on a cruise and it would be "that time" then I do it because

as it is it took me 2 years of living with my husband to be able to throw those things in our bathroom trash can. I just would not be comfortable throwing them away in the cabin. silly I guess since at 45 it shouldn't be an issue :o.

Well ladies you think that with menopause you wouldn't have to worry but you would be wrong:mad: As you age you replace the menstral pads with incontinence pads:D. Same idea of what to do with them? Ask for bags if none there. Put the product in the bag and put it in trash. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES! put anything in the toliet -- you will crash the whole system and it is easy to see the wet carpet outside your cabin!:eek: If you don't want to ask for bags, take them from the public stalls. I would even suggest that you visit public bathroom occasionally so that the load is lighter in the room :D Nobody really dies of embarrassment -- that is way too easy an out!

Well... to follow up on my original posts, I'll say that the Instead cups seem to work well for lighter days, but not so well for heavy days. They come in a box of 14, so the manufacturer is counting on the female using 2 a day for 7 days. I was going through 4 a day, so just not worth the mess. I'll probably end up taking Instead cups (for lighter days), tampons (for heavier days) and pads (for accident prevention) on the cruise... ugh! A tip for those who use Instead cups or are thinking of trying them... buy some Finger Cots (they look like tiny condoms). I got a 30 pack of assorted sized for a couple bucks. Roll one over your index finger and one on your thumb. When you're done you can dispose of the cots with the cup and there will be a lot less mess.

I looked at the reviews for the Diva Cups as well. Then I watched videos on folding them for insertion. They seemed a bit... ummm... big and awkward, but the posters said you don't feel it when it's in. Diva Cups are not sold locally here, but if the Instead Cups aren't successful, I may have to order one to try out.

Thanks.

I don't usually discuss this on coed forums, but if the guys come on this thread, they deserve to be freaked out!

I have used the Diva Cup for about two years. Frankly, the first couple of cycles ARE a bit awkward, and you may have to reinsert a couple of times. But then, weren't tampons awkward in the beginning?

I have not, however, tried the Instead Softcup. Maybe I'll pick up a pack of reusable Softcups to take on the cruise, just in case.

By the way, there are some potential health benefits for using a cup instead of a tampon. That was part of the reason for my initial switch!

I don't usually discuss this on coed forums, but if the guys come on this thread, they deserve to be freaked out!

I have used the Diva Cup for about two years. Frankly, the first couple of cycles ARE a bit awkward, and you may have to reinsert a couple of times. But then, weren't tampons awkward in the beginning?

I have not, however, tried the Instead Softcup. Maybe I'll pick up a pack of reusable Softcups to take on the cruise, just in case.

By the way, there are some potential health benefits for using a cup instead of a tampon. That was part of the reason for my initial switch!

Any male who is offended by the topic should not have clicked on a thread with "feminine products" in the title :eek:

The Diva cups are bigger than the Instead cups, so they should hold more. I may order one after I get back from the cruise. I was trying to get away from having to run to the restroom so often, but that didn't happen with Instead. Luckily the excursions that I chose are in locations where there will always be a bathroom close by.

I have used the Diva Cup for about two years. Frankly, the first couple of cycles ARE a bit awkward, and you may have to reinsert a couple of times.

My biggest advice on the Diva Cup? Cut half the stem off before you even try it. Many people cut the whole stem off, but others prefer to leave a tiny bit of it. (The instructions even say you can trim it, but I've never read or heard of anyone who didn't cut at least some of it off!) No idea why they make it so long!

Archived