Need small family group advice

Nutriosotoo

I am taking a small family group of 8 on the October 26, 2012 sailing of the Statendam from San Diego through the Panama Canal to Fort Lauderdale. Everyone has lots of questions about the various ports and countries we will be visiting. Can anyone recommend some books that would help us in the decision-making process for our shore excursions? Thanks, in advance, for your advice. ----Penny

Are they aware that they can read on Cruise Critic without being members, and that's there's tons of info on the Ports of Call forum?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

That info would probably be more current than most books you can buy. As a member you can ask questions there about any specific ports. Ports before you go through the PanCanal would be covered under "Mexican Riviera"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203

Yes, I agree they should browse the port of call forums here. The information is plentiful and much more current than any book you would find. I have a book called Panama Canal By Cruise Ship written by, ummmmm someone named Anne. Its a well written book with loads of information, but I bought it back in maybe 2005 and unless its been updated, its probably woefully out of date. If it has been updated, its a good book to check out.

Libraries have guidebooks on almost everywhere...or you can buy them (or recommended your family buy their own!) at any bookstore! That's the best way to get a total overview of the places you'll visit. Once you decide on what interests you, you can get answers to specific questions on the "Port of Call" boards, here, on this site!

Libraries have guidebooks on almost everywhere...or you can buy them (or recommended your family buy their own!) at any bookstore! That's the best way to get a total overview of the places you'll visit. Once you decide on what interests you, you can get answers to specific questions on the "Port of Call" boards, here, on this site!

If you're buying a tour book, I recommend the Doring Kindersley (sp?) Eyewitness books. They have a nice combination of photos and text. I don't know what sort of books they have for this itinerary, but it's worth poking around a Barnes & Noble to see what there is.

My library has a great travel section, and that's always my first stop for book-based research.

If you want to get into the history of the Canal, I suggest you read "The Path Between the Seas," by McCullough.

Archived