14 Hour Layover

TSUmom

I am in the beginning stages of packing and need some information. We arrive in Seattle at 9 pm and our flight out the next day is at 11:15 am. We have reserved a room at the Radisson for the night. Will we need to collect our bags since it is 14 hours before our connecting flight or does the airline keep them? Knowing this in advance will determine what I need in my carry on bag. Thank you for any help with this.

I believe that you will have to collect them. They will only forward baggage to the final destination if your flights are connecting. Due to security reasons, security will usually be suspicious of unclaimed baggage (and yours may qualify as such). Check with your airline/cruise line to be sure.

I believe that you will have to collect them. They will only forward baggage to the final destination if your flights are connecting. Due to security reasons, security will usually be suspicious of unclaimed baggage (and yours may qualify as such). Check with your airline/cruise line to be sure.

How can you even say that without knowing the airline and connecting city? Many airlines in Europe will through-check luggage with an overnight layover. I have also had it done returning from Asia to the US. Your last sentence is the best advice by far :D

Not sure why you'd post here rather than phoning the airline, but what the heck, my guess is that you will have to take your bags, due to the length of time between flights and the fact that it's overnight. The airline will confirm that. I don't believe it's a matter of your choice. If it were a case where your bags would be transferred, you would not normally have the option of taking the checked bags and checking them anew the next day, and if they won't transfer them, well, that's obvious. Is it just one airline? If two airlines, I'd be even more sure you have to get your bags. Phone the airline asap.

I assume you're staying at an airport hotel. We stayed at the Hilton, right across the street from the airport, using Priceline.

The whole flight will be through Alaska Air and yes we booked the Airport Radisson which is supposedly right outside the airport. I will be calling the Airline but was looking for a bit of input from fellow cc's thinking maybe they had experienced this. Thank you for the input.

The whole flight will be through Alaska Air and yes we booked the Airport Radisson which is supposedly right outside the airport. I will be calling the Airline but was looking for a bit of input from fellow cc's thinking maybe they had experienced this. Thank you for the input.

This is another case where more info up front would have been a huge help.

On a purely domestic itinerary with Alaska Air (though that is still not 100% confirmed by you), not only will you almost certainly not be able to check the luggage through, but you will probably need to pay luggage fees twice since the layover is longer than 12 hours (see alaskaair.com for details).

This is another case where more info up front would have been a huge help.

On a purely domestic itinerary with Alaska Air (though that is still not 100% confirmed by you), not only will you almost certainly not be able to check the luggage through, but you will probably need to pay luggage fees twice since the layover is longer than 12 hours (see alaskaair.com for details).

Yes, I am not sure why people don't post their routing and dates.

Appears OP is on POA in Sept. If they are traveling from Texas (DFW?) and arriving in SEA ~ 9:00 p.m., the next flight out to HNL is the next morning (11:15 a.m.). Doubt they will have to pay checked bag fees twice if it's on the same ticket.

Yes, I am not sure why people don't post their routing and dates.

I wonder too. Sometimes I think they are overly concerned about "privacy" issues, but with no names and such, how in the world can it be a privacy issue? It's not like we are all ready to find their house and vandalize it when they are gone :confused:

Using the net at all and all the tracking cookies, etc. is way more of a privacy concern than posting a few details of one's trip to help properly answer a question.

How can you even say that without knowing the airline and connecting city? Many airlines in Europe will through-check luggage with an overnight layover. I have also had it done returning from Asia to the US. Your last sentence is the best advice by far :D

How can I say that? 'Cause I'm a good guesser ;) Actually, I did base the comment on the current situation regarding Customs and Security. Baggage not attended for long periods of time is very suspicious....they want the bags with a person, and a long layover (I suspect) would not count.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived