laundry closing on Alaska sailings

travellover3

I've seen mention that the self-service laundry is closed at times during the Alaska cruises. I don't remember it being closed at all on my last Alaska trip-Whittier to Vancouver in 2009. Is this new? Under what circumstances is it closed? Thanks for any information.

On the Star 3 weeks ago, the self service laundry room was closed the entire time we were in Alaskan waters.

Just curious if there was noro onboard. On a recent Maasdam east coast voyage, the laundry room was closed when we were in code red........

Two years ago on the Coral, it was closed while in ports. I wanted something cleaned for the evening and tried to send it down to the laundry and steward told me that Alaska has very strict rules about grey water while in ports.

On the Star 3 weeks ago, the self service laundry room was closed the entire time we were in Alaskan waters.

The ship can only store so much treated water of any kind, and due to the fact the treated water cannot be discharged in Alaskan waters the laundry rooms are shut down at certain times. :)

This was explained to us by the Staff Captain at our luncheon.

We were on the Star 2 weeks ago and we did not see the laundry closed the entire time in Alaskan waters. :confused:

A few weeks ago while on the Sea, the self laundry and the ship laundry service was closed for a couple of days due to being in pristine Alaskan waters.

I too was on the Sea Princess earlier this month, and we were notified that the self-serve laundry would be closed from Juneau to after departing from Haines.

I took the Ultimate Ships Tour on the Diamond Princess in April. The ship's engineer (four stripes just like the captain but no sun) told us on the Diamond their waste water treatment process produced a dense sludge which could be incinerated, along with reclaimed water that was so pristine the ship had a certification from the US National Park Service allowing it to be released into Glacier Bay.

Not all ships may have this sophisticated waste water treatment capability, hence as noted, availability of laundry facilities may depend on which ship you are sailing.

This has nothing to do with Princess. It is a new regulation from the State of Alaska, to conserve the quality of their waters. Princess has to comply, just as all the other cruise lines will.

I first heard of this new regulation that Alaska is implementing a month or so ago. Seems to be lots of confusion of when laundry is open. I have heard all different kinds of answers. We are doing 8 day land tour after cruise,I was hoping to do laundry before we got off of ship. It would be very nice if someone who was in the "know" would answer this question. I did find out the lodges do have laundry rooms so that helps my situation some.I just hope they are correct!

Archived