How COLD is the air-con ?

wikkle jan

All of this varies by person, by ship and sometimes by itinerary.

You may feel hot, cold or comfortable and some of this can also vary by venue and time of day.

Best to bring something to cover up just in case.

Keith

I am comfortable with the temperatures in the public rooms. My wife usually carries a shawl. She doesn't always need it, but enough to make it worth carrying.

In your cabin, you control the temperature.

What some may need to watch for, is the effect the cooling system has you your sunburn or over exposure to the sun... do pack a cover up of some sort for times when the A/C is blowing in the public spaces after you have been in the sun all day.. the rooms a/c is almost never uncontrollable, but the public space can vary... and it depends on where you sit , as some tables/places are in the path of the air paths.. .:)

It does depend on many things. Even which area of the ship you are in and how many people are there. If you enter a large dining room when it opens it may feel cool. By the time it feels up it is quite warm. A shawl/pashimina is a great thing to pack.

Good question! On every cruise ship (not many!) that I have been on, I have always been glad of some sort of extra layer in the evenings, even if I end up removing it once I am comfortable. It is often the same for me in hotels - but then I do like to be warm!

If you have someone to snuggle up to, you may not need a cover up!!;)

We were on Explorer of the Seas a few weeks ago and I thought the temp was similar to a shopping mall or office building. In other words, chilly IMO. If we were indoors for an extented period I got cold. I had a shawl with me for the evenings in the MDR and a hoodie for other times.

Hi all, I am not sure where to post this; so if I am wrong can a moderator please re-post in correct place.

My wife and I finished our first cruise a week ago (14-23 June 2012), Pacific Dawn from Brisbane to Pacific Islands. We loved it but have not become cruise-aholics. We may go again but not rushing out just yet.

I realise that this site is used by people from USA, UK and Europe so hope my comments are relevant. We are retired pensioners from Brisbane Australia; we travelled with another couple (separate cabins), and each of us went our own way as far as activities. Our cabins were outside Deck 6 midships.

My first and strongest comment is that the ship was very, very cold; not due to the weather but because of the air-con settings. Our room was fine because we could control that, but the common areas were cold to frigid. I spoke to at least 10 other families or couples and they all agreed that it was far too cold. I complained to Reception three times but got palmed off with "I'll report it to the floor supervisor". Yeah, likely - great job! One lady told me she was freezing all the time and had not brought any long-sleeved garments.

On the open decks it was very windy most times with the temp about 21-24ºC. When in ports tee-shirt and shorts were fine. Teenagers were using the pool especially when it was sunny, but just sitting with a drink or coffee we needed parkas or "hoodies". The ambient ship temp was I believe about 20-21C. But Deck 7 (the theatre, The Orient Bar and Promenade Bar) was about 15ºC. For me that is cold!! I am not exaggerating these figures as we take careful note of the temperature in the various rooms in our house.

The other thing that surprised me was the working conditions of the staff (dining and cabin). This so-called generous, thoughtful P&O has staff from Philippines (mainly), India, Indonesia and the Islands. All these staff work 11 hours per day (!!), 7 days per week for 8 months, no days off - ever. Then they have 3 months back home before resuming work. Probably half the staff with whom we became friendly had spouses &/or children back home. On the days in Brisbane when one cruise finishes and another starts the crew work 14+ hours. I was appalled when I first heard these facts, so we treated all staff with even more courtesy from then on. They were always smiling and friendly and anxious to please. I commend them and offer a huge thank-you. (Remember this info when it comes to tipping at the end of the cruise).

The shows were first class - I rate them 10 out of 10. The food was more than delightful. Not gourmet perhaps, but high class. We did not use the specialty restaurants (simply to avoid over-spending) but heard they were good. The dining room (Deck 7) had sittings at 6pm or 8pm and the food and staff were wonderful. The buffet (Level 12) had great variety and was more than satisfactory for us (even me, and I'm vegetarian).

One other thing that grates on me is the cost of alcohol. All prices are that of a high-class bar or restaurant on shore. I am confident that they buy the alcohol duty-free so could sell as such or at least use more moderate prices. For those wanting to buy duty-free alcohol, the ship-board prices are the best for standard items (eg. $25 for 2 bottles spirits) but for more exotic items (eg. black label, 12yo, etc.) we found the best place was Fung-Kuei in Vila. The main street shopping area is almost 1 km long and the shop is at the far end on LHS.

Final disembarkation took only 15-20 mins including immigration and customs; that was from on board to outside at the taxi rank.

One final suggestion: try walking the stairs at least once a day to counteract the tendency to overeat. Have fun if you are about to cruise.:)

Is the air-con very cold on the ship ? and will i have to wear a cardy everywhere as i feel the cold...:rolleyes:

It varies with the ship. I have often had to bring a wrap to the evening show on ships if the AC if up real high. I always bring an evening wrap on the trips even to the Caribbean. I've never needed a Cardigan only a shawl except in Alaska where I needed heavier clothing and wrap. PS...You really don't even need to bring a shawl. If you don't have one already they have ones that are just the right weight for sale in the gift shops on board for only $10. I got my favorite shawls on cruise ships.

It varies with the ship. I have often had to bring a wrap to the evening show on ships if the AC if up real high. I always bring an evening wrap on the trips even to the Caribbean. I've never needed a Cardigan only a shawl except in Alaska where I needed heavier clothing and wrap. PS...You really don't even need to bring a shawl. If you don't have one already they have ones that are just the right weight for sale in the gift shops on board for only $10. I got my favorite shawls on cruise ships.

Wow thank you...I have 11 days in Orlando before the cruise (shopping) and i can still shop on the ship...Yippeeeee ;)

Archived