Upgrades: Timing & Procedure

NavyCruiser

Just curious, when is the best time to ask for an upgrade?

Do we call Carnival's 800#, our travel agent? When? 90 days before? week before? etc.

Or do we wait for Carnival to call us? when (90 days, a wk, etc.) do they call?

Or do we just wait til we arrive at the check in counter & ask them, or to be offered?

What's % probability that we actually get upgraded if we asked?

I don't think you have much chance at all Of getting upgraded if you just ask.

I haven't heard too many success stories of doing it this way unless you are willing to pay more

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It never hurts to ask, but usually its an upsell. Our last cruise they called and offered us an upsell for 40.00. It was totally worth it went from an inside room to a 4k which is considered an inside, but in reality it has french doors that open to an obstructed view of lifeboats, but we were between the lifeboats. It was pretty darn awesome. The best thing you can do is some research find a room you like and ask them the best price for the upsell about 2-3 weeks before sailing. :D

This brings up a question I have often wondered. Are you better to book a lower class room and upgrade when they call or just book the suite you want up front.

I know that you risk not getting a balcony in the end, but can you save any money this way?

This brings up a question I have often wondered. Are you better to book a lower class room and upgrade when they call or just book the suite you want up front.

I know that you risk not getting a balcony in the end, but can you save any money this way?

I think if your getting a balcony, I would not wait as they sell out first (from all my diligent cruise watching and dreaming)

I haven't heard too many success stories of doing it this way unless you are willing to pay more

Bill

25 years of cruising.......45 cruises........32 of them on Carnival and I have been UPGRADED a total of TWICE.......both times they just did it at the pier.......

so I would book the cabin you want........and not worry about upgrades.....Free upgrades are indeed RARE.......

Barb

In my post, I am not referring to free. I hear all the time that people booked a lower cabin and the upgrade fairy called. Are they getting a better deal for a balcony then the one I booked to begin with, or are they just paying the same thing? I guess if I watch for Price drops, I would see that also.

In my post, I am not referring to free. I hear all the time that people booked a lower cabin and the upgrade fairy called. Are they getting a better deal for a balcony then the one I booked to begin with, or are they just paying the same thing? I guess if I watch for Price drops, I would see that also.

Sometimes when they call you get a better deal. However few cabins go via the upsell fairy.

Very often ship sells out on its own and you stay with cabin you started with.

It never hurts to ask, but usually its an upsell. Our last cruise they called and offered us an upsell for 40.00. It was totally worth it went from an inside room to a 4k which is considered an inside, but in reality it has french doors that open to an obstructed view of lifeboats, but we were between the lifeboats. It was pretty darn awesome. The best thing you can do is some research find a room you like and ask them the best price for the upsell about 2-3 weeks before sailing. :D

You cant call and ask for a upsell. I tried it anyway (I have a hard head) and they just tried to sell me a full priced upgrade.

You have to wait for them to contact you for a upsell.

Who's PVP?

Lately, my hotel bookings through Hilton, has been sending us these eStandyby Upgrades emails:

"eStandby Upgrades® at these substantial savings are determined at time of check-in and are not guaranteed.

Remember:

Find out at check-in if you receive an eStandby Upgrade®. If not, keep your original booking and pay nothing extra.

We look forward to welcoming you as our guest! "

Where they give us options to upgrade for X dollars.

For example, from our standard room to executive rooms, for $39/night more, or to suite for $59/night for these upgrade specials. Whereas, reg rates are much much more.

We indicate that we're willing to pay/upgrade to executive rooms (but not suite), then wait to find out at check-in, based on availability then.

About half the time we got it, other times, hotel is full & no upgrades avail.

Wonder if cruise lines will look into this auto email feature in the future to maximize their profits to fill unfilled higher priced cabins....

Who's PVP?

Lately, my hotel bookings through Hilton, has been sending us these eStandyby Upgrades emails:

"eStandby Upgrades® at these substantial savings are determined at time of check-in and are not guaranteed.

Remember:

Find out at check-in if you receive an eStandby Upgrade®. If not, keep your original booking and pay nothing extra.

We look forward to welcoming you as our guest! "

Where they give us options to upgrade for X dollars.

For example, from our standard room to executive rooms, for $39/night more, or to suite for $59/night for these upgrade specials. Whereas, reg rates are much much more.

We indicate that we're willing to pay/upgrade to executive rooms (but not suite), then wait to find out at check-in, based on availability then.

About half the time we got it, other times, hotel is full & no upgrades avail.

Wonder if cruise lines will look into this auto email feature in the future to maximize their profits to fill unfilled higher priced cabins....

If you could cruise on standby last minute for cheap .. there are tons of us who cruise a lot who post on CC who would be on it in a flash.

Thats the function of the upsell dept we were describing to you .. they get on the phone and try to sell you a cabin last minute, that is a upgrade from what you have, for less usually than full price, you can say yea or nay when they contact you.

Note: they contact you, you cant contact them.

There are also somewhat last minute rates to fill the ship, rates like residential, senior etc.. designed to fill a ship that isnt selling well.

Pack n goes.. another last minute rate to fill ships not selling well.

Lots of would love a very very last minute cheapo price .. hey.. we can wish for it with you, do I think it will happen and carnival's computer models to fill ships last minute will fail .. probably not.

Here is the link to pack n goes .. not entirely last minute to some .. but I did get a rate of $169 last January on 5 day Triumph about 2 to 3 weeks before the cruise.

https://www.goccl.com/content/specials/documents/PKGO.pdf

Bill

I got an upgrade to an ocean suite for my Alaskan cruise when I called a couple of weeks ago. (Sshh! Don't tell my wife. It's a surprise for her! ;) ) I paid the difference, and it was still cheaper than if I had booked it many months ago. :D

So, yeah, it's very possible. Just call and see what's available. You might be surprised!

Archived