May have to cancel :(

JS0219

I just learned that my vacation time for September may not be approved we are booked on the 9/19 Miracle out of New York - I'm upset beyond words! Although I paid in full when I booked it, I upgraded our room, so still owe a little. Our final payment date is in another week. I did not purchase insurance. Anyone know in simple terms what I am facing? Will I lose $50 per person if I cancel prior to the final payment date? Can I try to reschedule and have my entire payment applied to a different cruise? Didn't see this coming..... (please no lectures about insurance!)

Well, make sure you cancel BEFORE final payment, as up to the day BEFORE final payment you lose much much less.

Did you book Early Saver rate? If so, when you cancel its a $50 per person fee, and the rest of your deposit is held for 2 years toward another cruise, 3 years to sail. The rest of what you paid will be refunded to your card, the amount over the deposit.

Any other rate, you can cancel .. and get a full refund.

Just make sure to cancel before final payment... after that at the least you lose your entire down payment.

If you booked early saver then yes they will charge you $50.00 per person. and they will keep the remaining down payment money. But you will be able to apply that remaining down payment money toward another cruise. You have 2 yrs from the time you cancel to do so. If you booked any other fare rate and you have not passed finale payment date then you will get it all back.

Insurance most likely wouldn't cover this anyway. Generally, your employer not approving your vacation request isn't covered by insurance. As mentioned above you need to cancel prior to final payment date though, to minimize the amount you lose. Nancy

Thanks for the response, I did not book early saver, I booked our state discount rate, then switched when the More=Merrier rate was lower. We paid the entire balance when we booked, so from what you are saying, as long as I cancel before the final payment date, we will get a full refund? I am so hoping and praying it doesn't come to that - we do not want to cancel - but if we have to, I really don't want to lose any money. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for us!!

Thanks for the response, I did not book early saver, I booked our state discount rate, then switched when the More=Merrier rate was lower. We paid the entire balance when we booked, so from what you are saying, as long as I cancel before the final payment date, we will get a full refund? I am so hoping and praying it doesn't come to that - we do not want to cancel - but if we have to, I really don't want to lose any money. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for us!!

Would advise you to cancel no later than 11pm EST the day BEFORE the final payment is due...you don't want to take the chance that the Final Payment Date is too late.

Hoping that you don't have to cancel :(

Not sure if this applies to you, but I work for a large corporation... if I requested my vacation and it was approved, or if it was not denied within a reasonable period of time, and I had to cancel travel arrangements with penalty because of a work commitment, they would reimburse me for any out of pocket.

Not sure what your work's policy is, but couldn't hurt to mention that you might lose your deposit if they don't approve... sometimes that will motivate them to work with you. I find most employers prefer happy employees, and cruisers who have to cancel long planned cruises are definitely NOT happy!

Good luck (with Firefly333's mojo working for you, you may be okay!). Keep us posted.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will work like that for me where I work. I do have a great boss who is trying to go to bat for me, I should know within the next day or so.

Is there a place on Carnival's website to confirm my final payment date?

This is why I really like CruiseCritic...... Ask a question, get it answered and get many positive responses and well-wishes. Thanks a bunch!

Unfortunately, I don't think it will work like that for me where I work. I do have a great boss who is trying to go to bat for me, I should know within the next day or so.

Is there a place on Carnival's website to confirm my final payment date?

This is why I really like CruiseCritic...... Ask a question, get it answered and get many positive responses and well-wishes. Thanks a bunch!

Yes, just log into carnivals website, go to manage my cruise and look at your billing. It will tell you your final payment date. Hope everything works out for you.

Yes, just log into carnivals website, go to manage my cruise and look at your billing. It will tell you your final payment date. Hope everything works out for you.

I paid the balance on both of our cruises last month which was way before our final November payment date.

They no longer list the final payment date on my billing page.

Call Carnival to find out (for sure) the actual date.

Well, my employer would not budge:mad:

But, fortunately, it is before my final payment date, and I just got off the phone with them and was able to transfer my entire payment to a different cruise.

The bad news is.... we are paying more and getting less. We no longer have a balcony because the price difference was just way too much, its now seven days instead of eight, and we have to drive to Baltimore instead of NY - from CT, that's about 4 more hours.

The good news.... we're still going on a cruise! We are now leaving July 29, instead of Sept. 19, so a much shorter anticipation period! We'll now be on the Pride, which from the pics I've seen, I personally like the decor better. We're still going to Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay, and instead of Nassau, we'll be going to Freeport - and we've never been there.

So...... not our original plans, but I think it will work out just fine. They say everything happens for a reason.

Anyone have any thoughts on sailing out of Baltimore, and on the Pride vs. Miracle? I'll have to start stalking those threads!

One advantage (if you are parking at the pier) is the cost. Last time we parked in NY it was $35 a day, Baltimore was $15 per day. Another good point is the drive. We're also from CT, and getting to the NY pier is always a hassle but heading to Baltimore (we always take the Tappen Zee and avoid the George Washington "mixmaster") has been easy----I'd change your extra 4 hour estimate to 3 if you take the traffic into account. Going out of Baltimore harbor was a pleasure--the area is very well marked, the layout is much easier and the attendants are really helpful and polite.

We've been on both of these sister ships, they are both wonderful. Just be forewarned about the large number of "exotic" artwork on the Pride. In my opinion it is tasteful and nothing that you wouldn't see in most art galleries, but some cruisers, mostly with young children, were offended.

The reason I couldn't take time off in September is because I work for a school system. I work in the Administrative offices, but only work 10 months a year, having summers off. I've only been in this district for 3 years, but never thought it would be a problem getting some time off, I thought I would either work during the summer and take comp time, or even take it off without pay. Well, apparently it is an unwritten policy that they don't grant time off for any reason during the school year. Bummer, especially because vacations are so much cheaper during the school year. But.... I do get summers off, which is really nice, although unpaid, which is not so nice!

Anyway... it's working out!

So sorry you had to rearrange everything, but you are in the right frame of mind, you're still going on a cruise!:D

The Pride is wonderful, we loved it!! Getting to, and parking at the pier was the easiest we have ever encountered. You literally park in front of the ship and walk up in to the terminal. Inside the terminal was also the easiest embarkation we have ever done, plus it was the most entertaining. They play games while you are waiting and also have a karaoke machine for those who like that.

Enjoy your cruise:D

I was feeling bad for you and thinking your boss was a jerk. But after reading that you work for the school system I have changed my mind. I also work at a school, also a 10 month position. September is especially busy. I would never think of asking for time off then. You have new staff. Kids moving in and out (and didnt inform the district) , bussing issues just to name a few.

That being said, I am also sailing out of the Baltimore on the Pride. We are driving down from the Boston area. Not a bad drive but we go down the day before just to be safe. The Pride is a great ship and you will have a great time. Glad you were able to change your arrangements and not loose any money.

Archived