Offering Tallinn Advice

You should definitely see some of the city after your shooting experience. I've done the shooting experience, not arranged through Top Gun so I don't know what they're like, but they use the same range as an Estonian company. The shooting is fun (though I must admit it scared me a little!) and they have all kinds of different guns you can try- I thought shooting Soviet area rifles was the best bit but my husband felt like Rambo using the shotgun and the fully automatic machine gun. It is a good and different kind of day out, but the range is kind of out of the way and you won't see any of what makes Tallinn so charming if you don't head to the Old Town afterwards.

The Old Town is really very small and you could ask to be dropped off at any number of places that will still allow you to walk across the city with plenty of time. I'd suggest being dropped off at either Fat Margaret or Viru Gate, they are both picturesque entrances to the Old Town and you can easily start a walk of the city to see the sights from either location.

Now, for the world famous Depeche Mode Baar! If you're a fan of the band, it's pretty much a must. Whenever I've been in there are always a few people who you can tell are super fans and are clearly loving it. If you're not a big fan, it's really just a bar with a repetitive soundtrack and themed cocktails. It is located right on the main town hall square, about a thirty second walk from the west side of the square up a street called Voorimehe. So it is very close to everything and you can easily pop in and see it or have a Personal Jesus cocktail or two and still be able to see other bits of the city as well.

Thanks for your help with Tallinn,

What are your thoughts on visiting the KGB museum at hotel Viru......is it worth visiting.

http://www.tallinn2011.ee/'hotel_viru_and_the_kgb__museum_opens_on_13_january

Thanks for offering your help with Tallinn. The cruise line is offering a 4 hour excursion to a nature preserve and fish farm. We were thinking it might be nice to get out of the city and see some countryside. Are you familiar with any nature preserves or fish farms near Tallinn ? Are they worth a visit or is it just a tourist gimmick? We would then have the afternoon to explore old town. Thanks!

I am glad Old Town isn't too huge. I was worried we wouldn't get to see it in the time we will have.

I believe it took us about 3 hours to walk the old town, this left us plenty of time for shopping. We found a nice tourist trap called Peppersaks (if I have it right) and had a nice leisurely lunch there.

• 2 months later...
Can you recommend an Estonian beer to try as well as food to try? My husband and I are fairly adventurous and love to try out local food and beer.

YES!, second that excellent suggestion for this great beer in Tallinn!! We enjoyed it while dining outside on the main square on a Saturday when they were having a local festival there. Below are more ideas, options to consider in this super charming and historic city. Lots of good, fairly reasonable shopping options there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 94,144 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

At lunch, enjoying Tallinn’s local beer. This is the most popular beer in Estonia and the oldest operating brewery. Their slogan: "it's about the taste". We agree!!!:

1A-TallinLocalBeer.jpg

Tallinn’s rooftops in this charming Estonia Capital from the Toompea/upper town with docked cruise ships shown in the more distant background:

1A-Tallinn-Rooftops.jpg

Dancers marching in Tallinn’s festival parade near the stone towers of the famous Viru Gate. So much charm, character and history in this somewhat hidden treasure of a town!! Tallinn's Old Town is in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Its history goes back to the 1100's and it was an important port for trade between Russia and Scandinavia. In 1285, the city became the northern-most member of the Hanseatic League, a famed trading and military alliance of German-dominated cities.:

1A-Tallinn-DancersMarch.jpg

In front of Tallinn’s City Hall, they are dancing:

1A-Tallinn-CityHallDancing.jpg

B]Parade in old city of Tallinn on a festival Saturday with a famed dining place, Olde Hansa, in the background: [/b]

1A-TallinParadeWh.jpg

Inside of Tallinn’s historic St. Mary's Cathedral Lutheran church with parts of the building dating back to the 12th Century. The main church was built in the 14th Century:

1A-Tallinn-Int.jpg

Here's a little more on the charm, history and beauty from Tallinn. Love this city so much. Nice people, too!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 116,838 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From our docked ship, here is the view of Tallinn’s historic church towers, etc.:

1A-Tallinn-TowersChurches.jpg

Here are outside and inside views of Tallinn’s Alexander Nevsky Cathedral built in the Orthodox style 1894–1900. This church crowns the hill of Toompea. The church has been meticulously restored since Estonia regained independence from the Soviet Union in 1991.:

TallinnOrChExterior.jpg

TallinnOrChurInterior.jpg

At the top of Tallinn’s Toompea hill, this shows part of the Estonia Parliament building in the historic Pink Baroque Palace and the old Pikk Hermann watchtower with their flag on top:

TallinnParlFlag.jpg

Outdoor lunch options on Tallinn’s main square:

1A-TallinOutdoorLunch.jpg

Here is a Tallinn street-shop vendor with various woolen items at her stall near the famous Viru Gate as you entered the lower walled area. This area is commonly called the “Sweater Wall”. Very charming and interesting. Good values and buys.:

1A-Tallinn-MarketShopping.jpg

Hello,

My husband and I live in Tallinn, we're ex-pats (he's British, I'm American) but have been here a couple of years and absolutely love it. I just wanted to offer if anyone wants advice about Tallinn, I'd be more than happy to help. We also know some other cities in the region pretty well such as Stockholm, Helsinki, and St Petersburg if you'd like any tips. We've never cruised this region (other than the ferries that take you between cities!), but see our city filled with cruise ship passengers almost every day in the summer (usually either being directed on a tour or standing and looking at a map with a confused expression) and can offer some city advice for those of you coming to our beautiful part of the world!

Hi Amyellabella,

Just wondering if you have any info on the Bastion Tunnels...I have been told that it is a must do ....we will be 5 girls visiting early June...do not see anything about it

Thanks

Just wondering if you have any info on the Bastion Tunnels...I have been told that it is a must do ....we will be 5 girls visiting early June...do not see anything about it

Thanks

Hi Winesome,

We visited Kiek in de Kök & the Bastion tunnels on our port day in Tallinn.

Here is some information about the tunnels:

http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee/eng/newsletter/issue-54/article_id-7370

http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee/fpage/explore/museums/newwin-place/print/id-175387

http://linnamuuseum.ee/kok/

jill

Hi Winesome,

We visited Kiek in de Kök & the Bastion tunnels on our port day in Tallinn.

Here is some information about the tunnels:

http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee/eng/newsletter/issue-54/article_id-7370

http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee/fpage/explore/museums/newwin-place/print/id-175387

http://linnamuuseum.ee/kok/

jill

Hi

Thanks for the info, was it worth seeing. I am trying to make a plan, using the walking tour. We will be in port June 6, 9 - 5:30. Any suggestions???:)

Hi

Thanks for the info, was it worth seeing. I am trying to make a plan, using the walking tour. We will be in port June 6, 9 - 5:30. Any suggestions???:)

We enjoyed the tunnels. They show a film before you enter the tunnels that gives a nice history. We did both the exhibition at Kiek in de Kök & the Bastion Tunnels (did Kiek in de Kök first). You can read the reviews of the tunnels on TripAdvisor at:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g274958-d276610-Reviews-Old_Town-Tallinn_Harju_County.html#REVIEWS

Prior to our cruise, I emailed the Tallinn Tourist Information office & they sent me a great map of Tallinn & some brochures.

When we docked in Tallinn, we were among the first off the ship & we walked to old town (took about 15 minutes). Since we wanted to see as much as possible (history junkies), we purchased the Tallinn Card.

http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee/eng/fpage/tallinncard

We each picked-up our audio guides (free with Tallinn card) at the tourist information office. The audio tour covers Old Town's key sights. You are also given a map to aid in finding your way to all the points of interest.

All of the places we visited (that charged admission) were covered by the Tallin card. Here is a list (from what I can recall) of what we visited on our day in port:

Tallinn Town Hall

Town Hall Tower

Epping Tower

Estonian History Museum (Great Guild Hall)

Estonian Maritime Museum (Fat Margaret's Tower)

Holy Spirit Church (check-out the clock on church facade)

Kalev Marzipan Museum

Niguliste Museum (St. Nicholas' Church)

St. Olav’s Church and tower

Tower of the Cathedral of Saint Mary the Virgin

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral

We also had a lovely lunch in Tallinn ... lots of choices for nice restaurants.

We also had wanted to visit the cottage of Peter the Great & Kadriorg Palace but we spent all of our time in the Old Town and simply did not have time. Hope to see those places on our next trip to Tallinn. :)

We found the medieval old town simply delightful. Lots to see and do ... just depends on your personal interests.

jill

We dock at 8:00 am --is anything open at that time?

Most venues open at around 10:00 AM (some at 9). However, given the time it will take you to get off the ship & travel to the old town, a docking time of 8:00 AM should not be an issue.

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is open at 8 AM. Many shops and cafes will be open early.

You can enjoy walking around and checking-out the medieval walls & towers ( Great Coastal Gate and Fat Margaret tower, Raekoja plats - Town Hall Square, Viru gate, etc.) or take a stroll through St. Catherine's Passage (Katariina käik) until everything is open.

There will be plenty for you to see/do until 9 or 10 AM. :)

jill

Most venues open at around 10:00 AM (some at 9). However, given the time it will take you to get off the ship & travel to the old town, a docking time of 8:00 AM should not be an issue.

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is open at 8 AM. Many shops and cafes will be open early.

You can enjoy walking around and checking-out the medieval walls & towers ( Great Coastal Gate and Fat Margaret tower, Raekoja plats - Town Hall Square, Viru gate, etc.) or take a stroll through St. Catherine's Passage (Katariina käik) until everything is open.

There will be plenty for you to see/do until 9 or 10 AM. :)

jill

Thanks so much. I have reservations for the 13:00 Bastion passages tour --does anyone know how long the tour takes?

Thanks so much. I have reservations for the 13:00 Bastion passages tour --does anyone know how long the tour takes?

As I recall, the tour (including the video presentation) was about 1.5 hours. It is rather cool in the tunnels ... I would recommend that you bring a sweater or some such. :)

Enjoy!

jill

As I recall, the tour (including the video presentation) was about 1.5 hours. It is rather cool in the tunnels ... I would recommend that you bring a sweater or some such. :)

Enjoy!

jill

I have a tour scheduled as well for my upcoming visit in June. Can you tell me if this tour is worth the 1.5 hours? Thanks as always, Jill!

Dolfans from Miami

Hi Dolfans,

Frist, I freely admit, I am a history junkie so please bear that in mind when you read my recommendations. :)

We really enjoyed both Kiek in de Kök and the tunnels. Both were, IMHO, definitly worth the time spent.

Bastion Tunnels: We found the tunnels an interesting & unique way to explore Tallinn's history.

The tunnels date back to antiquity and have served many purposes over the centuries. The tunnels, which are actually above ground, were created when earth was moved in to act as a cushion from incoming artillery.

The tunnels were constructed in the 1670s, but the tour moves backwards through time. The tour is slightly interactive. The tour guide activates a variety of buttons that bring each section of the tour to life.

These tunnels have also been used as bomb shelters. The bomb shelters were split into two eras. During the soviet era, the shelters were greatly improved with vast ventilation systems and telephones. These tunnels also housed the local population during the extensive bombing of the city by the Germans during World War II.

Moving further back through history, visitors are treated to some ancient inventions that were used in the tunnels. One is a water bowl that registers impacts from outside the walls, to detect digging or other movement signalling a potential enemy approach. There is also a mock-up of wall breaching bombs so as to understand the vulnerabilities of the walls. Even further back in history, we saw an exiled monk who spoke out against the Queen and was exiled to the Bastion Tunnels where he could no longer spread sedition.

Toward the end of the tour, you board a "train" that is equipped with video. After taking you back four hundred years, the train takes you forward into the future.

Kiek in de Kök (peek in the kitchen) - traces the military history of Tallinn between the 13th and 18th century. Each floor is filled with exhibits from ancient cannons to arrow harpoons that worked like a firing pin. Many aspects of the towns defenses are covered; including the effects of plague on the town. Check-out the torture devices, including the infamous "rack". The narrow stone stairways circle the exterior of the building and lead to several levels that house unique exhibits. The center of each floor has a glass circle that allows you to view down to the lowest level as you ascend to the next level.

The top floor of Kiek in de Kok houses a cafe. Great photo ops from this level.

Too much info? Ok, am shutting-up now. :D

jill

Hello,

My husband and I live in Tallinn, we're ex-pats (he's British, I'm American) but have been here a couple of years and absolutely love it. I just wanted to offer if anyone wants advice about Tallinn, I'd be more than happy to help. We also know some other cities in the region pretty well such as Stockholm, Helsinki, and St Petersburg if you'd like any tips. We've never cruised this region (other than the ferries that take you between cities!), but see our city filled with cruise ship passengers almost every day in the summer (usually either being directed on a tour or standing and looking at a map with a confused expression) and can offer some city advice for those of you coming to our beautiful part of the world!

My wife and I will be on a Baltic cruise in June and would like any information you might have on reputable tour companies we could use to visit the cities of Oslo, Copenhagen, Berlin, Riga, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, and Stockholm.

Thank you for your help!

My wife and I will be on a Baltic cruise in June and would like any information you might have on reputable tour companies we could use to visit the cities of Oslo, Copenhagen, Berlin, Riga, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, and Stockholm.

Thank you for your help!

From personal experience, I can highly recommend Alla Tours (run by none other than Alla herself). We used Alla on our Baltic cruise in 2011. (Alla's company is based in Saint Petersburg) I know that she offers tours in Saint Petersburg, Berlin, Stockholm, Tallinn & Helsinki. Not sure about Oslo, Copenhagen or Riga. She is wonderful to work with & will patiently answer any questions you may have. Our tours as well as our guides were outstanding!!

Here is the link to her website that describes all of her tours:

http://alla-tour.com/

You can contact Alla (the owner) by email at: info@alla-tour.com

There are other companies that offer tours of St. Petersburg & other ports as well (again, not sure about Oslo, Copenhagen or Riga). Links to their websites:

TJ Travel – http://st-petersburg-tours.ru/

Anastasia – http://anastasia.travel/

Best Guides http://bestguides-spb.com/

Enjoy your cruise of the Baltics! :)

jill

My map doesn't show the Kalev Marzipan Museum, what is it located?

Pikk 16, Suurgildi plats, where Pikk and Pühavaimu streets meets. One block north of Raekola plats.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ll=59.437875,24.745631&spn=0.004484,0.033023&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=59.438107,24.74534&panoid=2CHafSchjJrodg58qoTmgg&cbp=12,47.08,,0,0.07

Archived