In Amsterdam, but no luggage

MoneyGuy

I have booked my flight to Amsterdam for March with KLM, I have never flown with them but thought the non stop flight was better than going with Lufthansa and making that long run through the Frankfurt airport again.

Hopefully my luggage will arrive with me.

I am sure you will be fine

We have never had KLM lose the luggage on a non stop flight ;)

But there is always a first time I guess

So here is a guy turning to us for help -- when he knows he should be dealing with airlines -- after advertising himself in previous posts as a financial expert who has saved a pile of money by refusing to buy insurance.

I guess it says something about the authority of CC that one would appeal to us, from Amsterdam.

He didn't advertise himself as a financial expert, but as an Insurance salesman.

Cancellation insurance wouldn't help he's there and healthy, ready to go if he get a few clothes.

To the OP: Make sure the airlines know your itinerary; what hotel you're in, ship you're sailing, etc. Luggage will probably get to your hotel as you have time for them to find it in Asia and get it to your hotel before sailing. Some people fly in the day of the cruise and wouldn't have time to ask CC readers anything.

Taxguy77 -- He looks like a duck, walks like a duck and writes like a duck:

I'm a financial planner who is able to sell this and I disagree. The money I've saved not buying this stuff is the equivalent of two trips for my wife and me. I expect one day to lose the cost of a trip but over many years will be up many thousands of dollars. The companies who sell this stuff agree with you, however. Their profits are huge.

Just curious

Do Westjet transfer luggage to KLM flights???

If not it may still be back in the airport where you changed planes unless you rechecked the bags with KLM

May have even been sent to your home if you did not claim them

Just a thought

Enjoy the shopping trip :D

Yes, Westjet did the transfer.

Anyway, we got our bags after three days. They caufht up to us on our cruise. KLM says they will pay for the clothes we had to buy. Tell me how cancellation/baggage loss insurance would have saved us.

I'm happy your bags caught up with you. Cancellation/baggage insurance would only have helped by contributing some amount for replacement clothing. KLM is paying for that so it seems insurance, in this case, would have been redundant.

We are of the same thinking as you, Money Guy. We never insure for trip cancellation; only medical and evacuation. We are willing and able to self-insure for cancellation/interruption and baggage. The money we have saved through all those cruises we did not pay premiums makes us so far ahead that even it we had to purchase all new clothes for lost luggage (which I would HATE), we still would financially be ridiculously way ahead. The first few cruises were the risk but at now after a great many cruises, the savings is huge.

Have a great trip and thanks for checking back with us.

Yes, Westjet did the transfer.

Anyway, we got our bags after three days. They caufht up to us on our cruise. KLM says they will pay for the clothes we had to buy. Tell me how cancellation/baggage loss insurance would have saved us.

Thanks for coming back to let us know.

Nobody has yet mentioned that many credit card companies also provide some travel insurance at no cost when you pay for a trip using their credit card.

I would hate needing to waste any of my vacation time shopping for replacement clothing, which is why I always have enough clothing for 3 or 4 days in my carry-on.

If necessary, I could even get by for the entire cruise with the clothing I bring in the carry-on just by using the ship's laundry and dry cleaning services.

In fact, some people do exactly that when they go on cruises and they never check bags at all.

We never insure for trip cancellation; only medical and evacuation. We are willing and able to self-insure for cancellation/interruption and baggage. The money we have saved through all those cruises we did not pay premiums makes us so far ahead that even it we had to purchase all new clothes for lost luggage (which I would HATE), we still would financially be ridiculously way ahead.
We do the same.

Only we don't even need to purchase international medical or evacuation insurance because our health insurance coverage already provides them.

There are some people who throw away money on every cruise buying extra insurance that only duplicates coverage they already have because they don't even realize what coverage they already have.

With all the money we have saved through the years by not buying extra travel insurance, we would still be money ahead even if we had to cancel a cruise at the last minute and lose the entire cost of the cruise.

But each person's situation is different, so what is right for one will not necessarily be right for another.

Medical bills and emergency evacuation/repatriation are the bills that can sting. Presumably, one can afford the cost of the cruise if cancelled or one would not have booked it to begin with.

When our medical insurance covered out of country, we did not purchase additional.

The whole point is too many of us don't really KNOW exactly what the insurance we currently have covers and doesn't.

It is worth the few minutes or couple of hours it may take to investigate what your credit card might be covering of which you are not aware. Verify carefully with your medical insurer..... where and what and how would they pay if you become ill or injured while out of your country.

The price we pay for evacuation/medical coverage is very low. The higher costs come with cancellation/interruption coverage.

Medical bills and emergency evacuation/repatriation are the bills that can sting. Presumably, one can afford the cost of the cruise if cancelled or one would not have booked it to begin with.

When our medical insurance covered out of country, we did not purchase additional.

The whole point is too many of us don't really KNOW exactly what the insurance we currently have covers and doesn't.

It is worth the few minutes or couple of hours it may take to investigate what your credit card might be covering of which you are not aware. Verify carefully with your medical insurer..... where and what and how would they pay if you become ill or injured while out of your country.

The price we pay for evacuation/medical coverage is very low. The higher costs come with cancellation/interruption coverage.

We recently booked a Hawaii cruise. Our medical coverage (while it would reimburse us for medical expenses if treated in the US) doesn't not cover medical evacuation, as well as out of USA (onboard). We tried looking into policies that just cover medical/evacuation, but the cheapest we found also covered all the other stuff (trip cancellation, baggage loss/delay, trip delays).

So we wound up with a policy that covers more than we need, but it was cheaper than the one that only covered what we wanted. :confused:

:)

Archived