Internet Speed (or lack of the same)

Suncitygaltx

A related question. If you wish to use skype on the ship, is there some there that will help you set it up.

Do you need to set up an account before you leave home?

Thanks

It would be a lot better to set it up and practice using it at home. There are some difficulties in learning how to use it. Skype isn't 100 % user friendly like FaceTime. No point wasting expensive time learning how to 'Skype'.

A related question. If you wish to use skype on the ship, is there some there that will help you set it up.

Do you need to set up an account before you leave home?

Thanks

The ONLY way I'd use Skype on board the ship is if I had prearranged for the other person(s) to be online and signed in at a specific time. Otherwise, even if you're used to using Skype, you could end up spending a lot of your precious minutes trying to reach someone with no results.

I had my laptop with me, so it was already installed on my computer, and I had set up times to call via e-mail. The connection wasn't great...lots of frozen images, but at least I got to see those g'kids.

I agree that trying to learn Skype's ins and outs should be done prior to using it with expensive minutes on the cruise.

The ONLY way I'd use Skype on board the ship is if I had prearranged for the other person(s) to be online and signed in at a specific time. Otherwise, even if you're used to using Skype, you could end up spending a lot of your precious minutes trying to reach someone with no results.

I had my laptop with me, so it was already installed on my computer, and I had set up times to call via e-mail. The connection wasn't great...lots of frozen images, but at least I got to see those g'kids.

I agree that trying to learn Skype's ins and outs should be done prior to using it with expensive minutes on the cruise.

Skype out is a very inexpensive way to make a phone call to any number anywhere. The recipient doesn't need to be on Skype. The rate is 2.3 cents per minute.

Skype out is a very inexpensive way to make a phone call to any number anywhere. The recipient doesn't need to be on Skype. The rate is 2.3 cents per minute.

Good to know. I haven't used their phone call service, since I have free long-distance from my home line. But, this would be a way to make calls home when we're at sea.

Thanks.

(I use the Skype video because when I miss those g'kids...I want to see their smiling faces. :) )

I've read some services, such as Skype might be blocked (in general not specifically or necessarily on O,) in order to ensure bandwidth is available and not hogged by heavy use services - these video/ image services use a *lot* of bandwidth vs. say, simple text. They are cheap because they rely on others providing (and paying for) the infrastructure so they can work.

YoHoHo makes a good point. I've reported that internet is slower at times; could be that someone was using Skype. It is blocked on most ships, so I've been given to understand. Next thig I know, someone will be using Skype early in the morning or late at night, and there will go my speed -- and my miniutes, used up because of someone else.

It took me a moment, as the sarcasm was subtle, but I realize this post was a joke. Sorry for taking you seriously in my first reply.

Still too subtle for me.

As for Skype, they should indeed block video calls at least if that's one of the bandwidth hogs. Not sure about voice-only bandwidth. Presumably they also ban all kinds of streaming video downloads like youtube, right?

I will be the first to admit that I am technologically challenged. I don't know what bandwidth is, nor do I really care. I just know that trying to access and send e-mails while on the Regatta for 37 days was a major source of frustration. I was told the problem was that I came during peak hours so I then came during off hours ~ very early or very late ~ but still logged out after 20 minutes of nothing. I couldn't even het the little wheelie thing to spin, which I guess means I couldn't get connected. I was told that being in middle of the ocean made it hard to get a connection so I tried while we were docked in Cairns and Brisbane. Still no luck, but this time I was told that high rise buildings blocked the connection. So, in other words, the system works fine as long as I'm not at sea or docked at a port. Frustration is not a feeling I enjoy on a cruise. In fairness, we did get our minutes refunded each time we got no service so, when we finally did luck out with a connection, we still had enough minutes to make use of them. We were having our bathrooms remodeled while we were away, so it was important to keep in touch with the contractor. But that's for another post.

Harriet

As for Skype, they should indeed block video calls

I second, third and fourth that emotion! As Hondorner mentioned earlier, my understanding was that Skype and other videoconferencing programs were supposed to be blocked as a matter of policy, but somehow, despite all of the complaints about slow internet speed, those rules have not been enforced. :mad:

The maddening part of it is that most people don't seem to realize how much capacity those programs use.

If they don't want passengers using Skype, they should block it.

On Marina last April, I set my alarm for 2 a.m. and that's when I used it. Doubt a five minute Skype session impacted other passengers' Internet use at that hour.

I am very impressed that Mr. Kamlani jumped into this thread to announce Internet speed improvements. On past cruises, many of us rushed off to find a nearby Internet cafe to check email. We never bought a package because we learned from the experience of others that it was so slow as to be unusable.

But with this announcement of improved speeds, we'll buy a package on our September Riviera cruise. Just want to let Oceania know that by increasing speed, at least a couple passengers will spend more to take advantage of it. Thanks!!

I second, third and fourth that emotion! As Hondorner mentioned earlier, my understanding was that Skype and other videoconferencing programs were supposed to be blocked as a matter of policy, but somehow, despite all of the complaints about slow internet speed, those rules have not been enforced. :mad:

The maddening part of it is that most people don't seem to realize how much capacity those programs use.

I definitely would like to see SKYPE blocked to everyone, not just passengers; however, I think some of the crew would not be thrilled about that. Our butler SKYPED his girlfriend every night (and we were not in port, so he was doing it from the ship). I doubt that he was the only one doing that.

I definitely would like to see SKYPE blocked to everyone, not just passengers; however, I think some of the crew would not be thrilled about that. Our butler SKYPED his girlfriend every night (and we were not in port, so he was doing it from the ship). I doubt that he was the only one doing that.

Given the length of time that the average passenger is on the ship versus the length of the average Employee contract, I don't think that it is unreasonable that the crew retain some ex parte privileges in that area, just as Airlines waive their baggage weight restrictions for persons in the Armed Services.

These crewmen and women work tremendously difficult schedules, with very little time off, for months at a time; and are away from family, friends and everything familiar.

Archived