Family Suite with perks worth loss of balcony?

donnas902

Would you consider a family suite and fore-go a balcony if the price was right?

I'll answer both posts! :D

When you are on deck 12 with those huge windows, you may find, as we did, that you don't miss the balcony. Walk outside into the hall and you are steps from the pool area. Go up one flight of stairs and you have the whole top deck complete with hot tub!

YES!

We had a SJ, the price was too good, the perks (ESPECIALLY the breakfast and lunch in Cagney's) were great, and the open decks were a just steps away.

The windows were floor to ceiling and we didn't miss the balcony.

Wish all other ships (not just Star and Dawn) have SJ cabins.

We have been in non balcony suites on two different cruise lines (Princess and Celebrity) and in October our first non balcony suite on NCL. We have never missed the balcony, and with all the open deck space just steps away, we don't anticipate missing one on NCL.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I would never consider a room without a balcony. One of my favorite things to do is to go out on the balcony in the early morning with my coffee and watch the sea go by. It is such a wonderful way to start the day!

I am booked on the Star in November in one of these new family suites. When I booked in January, I was going to book a mini suite with balcony. When I found the AMEX promo and looked at pricing, the Family Suite was only 250.00 more for pass. 1 and 2, so I am paying 500.00 out of my pocket and getting it back on the ship.

To me it was a no brainer. For the exact same price I am in a suite with ALL the suite perks. I am however, worried that I will miss the balcony very much. I am not willing to pay the $1000.00 pp additional now to go up to a balcony suite!

Everyone here on CC says the rooms are great. I am just glad to have the suite perks again! Also, cruising with or without a balcony, is better than sitting in my livingroom!

Enjoy!;)

That would depend on what is important to you.

I would miss the balcony. Like another poster wrote. We love to step out on our balcony in the morning with our fresh brewed coffee (we bring our own grounds for the inroom coffee maker), peacefully watching the ocean go by, binnoculars in hand just in case there are a family of dolphins or whales traveling with us & listening to the ocean.

Suite perks are not really worth it to me. I don't eat breakfast so Cagneys for breakfast is not a drawing card. Lunch I will eat anywhere that my legs carry me to, I like the food in the MDR or the grills for a hamburger. I don't need personal service such as a butler brings and am quite capable of picking up the phone to book my own restaurant reservations and don't need reserved seating for shows etc.

So if perks are important to you over the balcony, go with it. Love that NCL gives so many choices for everyone to make their vacation special in their own way.

I guess I am the minority as well

I love a balcony and wouldnt sail with out one

I love to open the door and listen to the sea. Or to just stand on the balcony and watch the stars twinkle by as we are moving towards a destination.

Well I've been marinating on this and am really afraid that coffee on the balcony, (or wine) with ocean sounds, breezes and stars is winning out big time.

Munchkin, please let me know what you think after sailing in the suite.

Ches, do you bring coffee filters as well? What kind of coffee makers do they have in the cabins?

Thanks so much to all for your responses.

Donna

Ches, do you bring coffee filters as well? What kind of coffee makers do they have in the cabins?

Thanks so much to all for your responses.

Donna

Yes I bring the 4 cup filters with me, they have the 4 cup hotel style coffee makers in balconies and minis. I believe the suites have some fancy coffee machines.

They do provide the packets for the 4 cup machines but I am very particular about my coffee and don't like coffee anywhere on the ship.

We were in family suite 12518 for the Pacific Coastal. It was our first cruise without a balcony and we didn't miss it. The wall of windows is really wonderful and we spent a lot of time enjoying the view from the comfort of our suite.

We didn't really use the concierge, didn't have any meals served in suite but Cagneys for breakfast and occasionally lunch and the fancy coffee machine are favorite perks for us. These suites are very spacious and the bathroom is truly wonderful - lol no stubbing your toes or nose on the wall when seated on the throne.

We have one of the family suites with balcony booked for caribbean January 2013 - giving up the murphy bed and some space in exchange for the balcony but we still have a wall of windows :) These suites really are perfect for families or friends who want to share a stateroom and have suite perks for a reasonable price.

• 2 years later...

Ok so we are a family of 8 - with 5 kids ranging from 6-18. I am looking to book a Thanksgiving cruise next year on the Star for all of us and my oldest will be 19. Because of the sweet promotion, we want to book a Family Suite and then an Interior on the same deck. From what I am reading, I won't be able to book my 19 year old and 15 year old in the interior right across the hall without an adult?

I want to be able to take advantage of the Ultimate Beverage and Dining for both adults booked into the suite. From what I understand I have to be on the interior booking....but can I switch once onboard to take advantage of the perks?

Edited by escentialssoycandles

I personally would not sail without a balcony if I had a choice.

Meaning I would not pay equivalent for a suite and lose balcony.

If I ever sailed without a balcony it would be because I could not afford balcony and I was dying to sail that particular cruise.

Hopefully that never happens:p

Seems the more I vacation the more spoiled I get with what I want. Back in the day I would take whatever room I could get to go. Now I want the ocean view(hotels) and the balcony rooms in the location I like;-)

Kerri

Edited by luv2gonow

The views in the SJ suite exceed those of pretty much everywhere else on the Dawn, unless you're physically standing by a railing (and only on certain decks, as many of them are covered in plexiglass).

I can see missing the ability for instant fresh air (especially in your pajamas!), or the combination of fresh air and view while standing on the balcony. And the sound of the sea is exciting, too.

But the views from the suite through the floor to ceiling windows far exceed what you'd see while sitting on your balcony.

There's a special treat in lying in bed with the ocean stretched out the length of the room beside you.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I would never consider a room without a balcony. One of my favorite things to do is to go out on the balcony in the early morning with my coffee and watch the sea go by. It is such a wonderful way to start the day!

Me too.....I look forward to drinking my coffee in private and comfort. My wife likes to sit out there in her robe and relax. It's all about what you enjoy. If you don't need the privacy of your own veranda, then definitely go for the larger cabin.

Choice is a great thing.

We are balcony lovers and sailed in an SJ on the Dawn in January and loved it! Sure, there's the down side of not being able to go out there whenever you want, but as others have said, it's a short walk (less than two minutes) to the pool deck and plenty of open space. In the mornings, there are plenty of people in their jammies out there as it's now one of the few places to smoke now that NCL has banned balcony smoking (no flaming or going off on a tangent, please!).

It's a great place to sit with a book and cup of coffee with the added benefit of waiters bringing you a Bloody Mary!

My wife missed it a little, but the perks made it very worthwhile!

Yes I bring the 4 cup filters with me, they have the 4 cup hotel style coffee makers in balconies and minis. I believe the suites have some fancy coffee machines.

They do provide the packets for the 4 cup machines but I am very particular about my coffee and don't like coffee anywhere on the ship.

Che. Can you email me at cole617 at aol

Geri

To put my 2 cents here regarding the SJ. Booked an SJ for November 1, 2015 on the Star. I'm so excited to sail in my first suite balcony or no balcony. I might have throught twice about it if the location was in a differnt place but seeing that it's so near the pool deck and everything else I'm all in