Doctors Cave next month..anyone been recently?

StacyB2011

Hey there..goin to Falmouth next month with my 11 year old and mother. Planning on just grabbing a taxi at the port to the beach. Is this safe for two woman and a child to do? I know it might be a silly question but just concerned about our safety. Also..when we leave the beach is it easy to flag down a taxi?

Hey there..goin to Falmouth next month with my 11 year old and mother. Planning on just grabbing a taxi at the port to the beach. Is this safe for two woman and a child to do? I know it might be a silly question but just concerned about our safety. Also..when we leave the beach is it easy to flag down a taxi?

i don't know about the trip over from Falmouth as far as safety, but we were at Dr's Cave back in March. We were two women and a man who acts like a child lolol. Because there is a private entry, you don't get all the hawkers on the beach as much as you would with a fully public beach.

As for flagging down a taxi, they are in abundance as soon as you step out of the building (that you have to pass through to get to the beach). You might want to talk to your taxi driver and see if he'll arrange to meet you at a pre-determined time to take you back to Falmouth if you feel more comfortable with that. But there are tons of people asking if you need a ride as soon as you hit the pavement.

Yes it's safe. My Husband and I were there a few weeks ago and are planning on going back with the kids when our ship ports there week after next. Just take a cab.

Also when leaving, Cab's are everywhere. You will not have a problem getting one.

Have fun :)

Very safe and free of vendors and patrolled regularly. Taxis are available just outside the gate, as well as a Margaritaville if you want a bite.

Beautiful beach and the bay has "character", one of our favs!

How much is the cab to get there, how much for the entrance fee and how much for drinks/food? Are there any activities? Just trying to compare between doing a tour or Jamaica for a day all inclusive beach day?

Thanks.

I have a co-worker who just went and I'll be there in a couple of weeks. It's about $5 pp each way in a cab (make sure to take a JUTA cab with the red plate) and then something like $6 pp to get in, and about the same to rent chairs and umbrellas. I think he said there were a couple of water toys such as trampolines. I can verify when I'm there and report back if that helps.

Mindy

Was just there 2 weeks ago. $6 each to get in, $6 for a chair or an umbrella. Very nice beach and safe. Reasonable food and drinks prices. the jerk chicken with rice and peas (really black beans) was really good for about $6. Drinks were strong...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello...

Doctor's Cave Beach is absolutely beautiful. My family just got back from the June 24th cruise on the Magic and we decided to do the 'Hop on and Off' shuttle at Montego Bay. It is inexpensive and it allows you to get around the island easily with one flat rate. We first went to Doctor's Cave Beach, it did cost to get it; however, it was worth it. We did purchase an umbrella, which I regret, because we wound up setting up under a palm tree which provided enough shade. The beach was very safe (I didn't have to worry about leaving all my stuff so far away from the water) and I went with my son who was five (and cannot swim) and my daughter who was 16 months and they both could play safely on the sand and in the shallow water (AND THEY LOVED IT)! There were some beggars, but if you talk them down you can get some nice stuff (we bought a sea shell from the bottom of the ocean that they had just dived and retrieved...). Once we were done at the beach we changed (had showers and a changing area) we then hopped on the shuttle to Rose Hall (shopping). It is VERY expensive there, but the drive was nice to see the 'real' Jamaica. We then made our way over to MARGARITAVILLE! I get a lot of 'OMG, you took yoru children to Margaritaville' lol but my kids loved it! My son LOVED the music (I had a lot of 'Mom, you have this song!') and they had balloons for the kids and the food was great! We did not do the craft market, but that is another option. So if I were you and just wanted to try out the island without doing an excursion, try the 'Hop On and Off Shuttle'. You get to see numerous places, all at your own pace (they always have one waiting at every stop)!

232323232%7Ffp73436%3Enu%3D32%3A%3A%3E969%3E%3A97%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A942649732%3Anu0mrj

Nice!!!! Love this thread as DH and I would like to visit the beach this August with D10 and DD 8 when we sail on the Valor, so we were really looking forward to hearing other' experiences. Will look into the hop on hop off trolley since we would like to do Dr Caves beach and possibly margaritaville as well. Thanks to all who've shared experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for sharing! I will be visiting Falmouth on the Allure with my best friend Sept. 9th!

quote=nickel1522;34731771]Hello...

Doctor's Cave Beach is absolutely beautiful. My family just got back from the June 24th cruise on the Magic and we decided to do the 'Hop on and Off' shuttle at Montego Bay. It is inexpensive and it allows you to get around the island easily with one flat rate. We first went to Doctor's Cave Beach, it did cost to get it; however, it was worth it. We did purchase an umbrella, which I regret, because we wound up setting up under a palm tree which provided enough shade. The beach was very safe (I didn't have to worry about leaving all my stuff so far away from the water) and I went with my son who was five (and cannot swim) and my daughter who was 16 months and they both could play safely on the sand and in the shallow water (AND THEY LOVED IT)! There were some beggars, but if you talk them down you can get some nice stuff (we bought a sea shell from the bottom of the ocean that they had just dived and retrieved...). Once we were done at the beach we changed (had showers and a changing area) we then hopped on the shuttle to Rose Hall (shopping). It is VERY expensive there, but the drive was nice to see the 'real' Jamaica. We then made our way over to MARGARITAVILLE! I get a lot of 'OMG, you took yoru children to Margaritaville' lol but my kids loved it! My son LOVED the music (I had a lot of 'Mom, you have this song!') and they had balloons for the kids and the food was great! We did not do the craft market, but that is another option. So if I were you and just wanted to try out the island without doing an excursion, try the 'Hop On and Off Shuttle'. You get to see numerous places, all at your own pace (they always have one waiting at every stop)!

232323232%7Ffp73436%3Enu%3D32%3A%3A%3E969%3E%3A97%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A942649732%3Anu0mrj

• 2 months later...

Have read that shuttles from the Montego Bay port are $5pp to Doctor's Cave Beach. Are the $5pp shuttles also available to return to the ship?

If you choose to return by taxi, what is the fare? Is it still per person or one fare for the taxi regardless of how many people?

I'll be in Falmouth on Feb 14th and DW and I are planning on going to Montego Bay, and then Doctor's Cave Beach for some snorkeling.

I've read up and the info says it's a great beach for snorkeling. I'd also like to try some parasailing there. Anyone got any tips?

I also thought about Margaritaville. I've seen pics and it certainly looks fun.

I know a couple of tour companies will take us, but I'd love some more info on prices for ride from Falmouth. Come on RCCL cruisers, help me out here!!!

Thanks

Please excuse my ignorance , but here goes: We are cruising to Montego Bay in November and would like to go to Dr. Cave Beach. So do you just walk off the ship and get a cab and tell the Dr. Cave Beach? Then you pay the fee and go in? So far no problem. One post mentioned Jerk chicken, which I love. Is the restaurant there at the beach? And for anyone who has snorkeled there, is it good. Where is the snorkeling area? Then at the end of the day will there be cabs to take us back to the ship? Thank you in advance.

Please excuse my ignorance , but here goes: We are cruising to Montego Bay in November and would like to go to Dr. Cave Beach. So do you just walk off the ship and get a cab and tell the Dr. Cave Beach? Then you pay the fee and go in? So far no problem. One post mentioned Jerk chicken, which I love. Is the restaurant there at the beach? And for anyone who has snorkeled there, is it good. Where is the snorkeling area? Then at the end of the day will there be cabs to take us back to the ship? Thank you in advance.

I'd love the answers to these questions also, plus: Is there snorkel equipment for rent at the beach?

Archived