Do You Want a Scale in your Bathroom on the Ship?

sail7seas

If you cruised 8-12 weeks a year, would that change your thinking? :eek: If you only vacation one or two weeks a year, I 'sort of' agree with you but some of us vacation many more weeks and it's not quite so simple.

If I wasn't watching what I am eating and drinking, I probably wouldn't be thinking of a scale. It's harder for some of us than others. When I was younger, it was not an issue. As I got older and developed 'conditions' weight control got harder.

I'm probably not that unique.

I'm only suggesting it would be welcome for some of us if scales were available upon request. Perhaps not put them in all cabins for a lot of good reasons but have a small supply available for those that want one???

You are right about that..I do only cruise a few weeks a year and I don't worry about my weight, (not that I shouldn't:eek:) Excuse me for posting as I wasn't thinking about those who cruise longer. But if I did cruise longer than 14 days, I would have no problem walking to the gym and using their scale. At times, I do have difficulty walking due to back issues, but I push myself.

I do think IMO, if the cruise line had to buy scales for personal use, the cost would be too high, also it would be one more thing to be cleaned and sanitized by the crew.

I'm only suggesting it would be welcome for some of us if scales were available upon request. Perhaps not put them in all cabins for a lot of good reasons but have a small supply available for those that want one???

I agree with Sail 100%. For those that want them, it would be nice if they were available so that, if you choose, you can get an idea of weight +/-.

I put on weight 10 years ago for medical reasons. I was always underweight until then. The last 10 years have been awful for how people have treated me to just going to buy clothes. Everyone assumes I eat too much but the reality is I eat less than 1200 calories/day and I was still 100+ pounds overweight.

I would love a scale as I have taken off 38 lbs in 11 weeks :) by cutting out all carbs and sugar and I would NOT want to add (much) back on. I would find it very calming to be able to use a scale in the privacy of my room to monitor my weight.

I've never tried it so don't know, but what is wrong with the scale in the gym? As long as you start with a baseline on day one or two you'll know whether you have gained or lost whether the baseline is the same weight as at home or not.

I do.

I try so hard to maintain/lose weight that I miss having a scale when we are cruising. I want that guide to be aware of whether I'm having a few too many treats. Yes, I usually can judge from my clothes but a 'weigh in' is important to me. (I have never found the scale in the gym to be of any use.)

If given the choice, would you request a scale or not?

I was thrilled with our hotel in Seattle. The five days we were there, I was happy to be able to step on the scale each morning.

Unless the cruise was for more than two weeks I would HATE to have a scale.

You are right about that..I do only cruise a few weeks a year and I don't worry about my weight, (not that I shouldn't:eek:) Excuse me for posting as I wasn't thinking about those who cruise longer. But if I did cruise longer than 14 days, I would have no problem walking to the gym and using their scale. At times, I do have difficulty walking due to back issues, but I push myself.

I do think IMO, if the cruise line had to buy scales for personal use, the cost would be too high, also it would be one more thing to be cleaned and sanitized by the crew.

Good point about another something to sanitize and yes, there would be a cost to purchase scales for 15 ships even if it was just for a small percentage of guests.

How about if they charge a use fee for the length of the cruise?

I agree with Sail 100%. For those that want them, it would be nice if they were available so that, if you choose, you can get an idea of weight +/-.

I put on weight 10 years ago for medical reasons. I was always underweight until then. The last 10 years have been awful for how people have treated me to just going to buy clothes. Everyone assumes I eat too much but the reality is I eat less than 1200 calories/day and I was still 100+ pounds overweight.

I would love a scale as I have taken off 38 lbs in 11 weeks :) by cutting out all carbs and sugar and I would NOT want to add (much) back on. I would find it very calming to be able to use a scale in the privacy of my room to monitor my weight.

Congratulations on such a wonderful weight loss. Good work!!! :)

I've never tried it so don't know' date=' but what is wrong with the scale in the gym? As long as you start with a baseline on day one or two you'll know whether you have gained or lost whether the baseline is the same weight as at home or not.[/quote']

Whenever I have tried the scale in the gym, it has been ridiculously out of whack. I would go on day one or two so I'd have a baseline by which to gauge a gain/loss but the numbers were so askew it was worthless, for me.

One needs to weigh themselves at the same time, preferably fresh out of bed in the morning and dressed or not dressed the same to get any kind of useful comparison. IMO

If you cruised 8-12 weeks a year, would that change your thinking? :eek: If you only vacation one or two weeks a year, I 'sort of' agree with you but some of us vacation many more weeks and it's not quite so simple.

If I wasn't watching what I am eating and drinking, I probably wouldn't be thinking of a scale. It's harder for some of us than others. When I was younger, it was not an issue. As I got older and developed 'conditions' weight control got harder.

It still wouldn't matter for me. I travel more than that every year, mostly business travel where there's a lot of entertaining of customers which is far harder to eat smaller portions and balanced meals than it is on vacations.

Good point about another something to sanitize and yes, there would be a cost to purchase scales for 15 ships even if it was just for a small percentage of guests.

How about if they charge a use fee for the length of the cruise?

Oh my...an extra fee for a scale...I don't even want to look at one :eek::D

I suppose that would work, have you ever mentioned that on their comment cards? I wonder if anyone ever packed a scale....when you think about some people packing coffee makers etc. Even I once brought my magic bullet to make frozen drinks...but then again I am a nut:D

Sail, go to the Medical Center once every other day or so and weigh yourself:) IF you are that concerned buy a lightweight bathroom scale (if there is such a beast) and take it with you.:)

I believe if HAL provided scales for everyone that thought they needed/wanted/ one, the cost of the cruise might have to go up to make up for these... They have to make money off someone anyway, they could rent them to you for a week or 2 or however long your cruise is:cool:;)

Joanie

Congratulations on such a wonderful weight loss. Good work!!! :)

Thanks so much.

For the record, in April when I went to buy my first electronic scale I saw one with the Weight Watchers logo that was made small for travel. It was about $20. I think I would go back and purchase it if/when :D;) I am able to book some of the longer cruises I dream about.

Wow, thanks for the heads up about a Weight Watchers scale for travel.

I'll have to look into it. It is something I care enough about to do a bit of research.

I do admit I'm not sure I'll give up too many pair of shoes if the weight of our suitcase becomes an issue. :o

Thank you. :)

[quote name='1of4'].....
I would love a scale as I have taken off [COLOR=red]38 lbs[/COLOR] in 11 weeks :) by cutting out all carbs and sugar and I would NOT want to add (much) back on. I would find it very calming to be able to use a scale in the privacy of my room to monitor my weight.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't just sticking with the same diet you use at home work the same when you were at sea?

[quote name='IRL_Joanie']
[B][SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Sail, go to the Medical Center once every other day or so and weigh yourself:) IF you are that concerned buy a lightweight bathroom scale (if there is such a beast) and take it with you.:)[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]

[B][SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]I believe if HAL provided scales for everyone that thought they needed/wanted/ one, the cost of the cruise might have to go up to make up for these... They have to make money off someone anyway, they could rent them to you for a week or 2 or however long your cruise is:cool:;)[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]

[B][SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Joanie[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/quote]

[B] I'm not obsessed with the notion of having a scale but obviously would like it.

I don't think I'll use suitcase weight to lug my own but if HAL were to offer a scale to those who wanted it and they charged a fee, I would pay a reasonable amount in order to have use of one in our cabin.

Just something I would like.
Obviously if some fine hotels offer this amenity, there must be some 'call' for it. Our very nice hotel in Seattle had a digital scale in every one of their rooms and I appreciated it. Certainly, the bathroom was huge and by comparison to some ship cabins, may have been as large as some of the smaller cabins. :eek:

I would like this to be an option and as I say have no problem paying a reasonable fee.

I certainly do not suggest they should be in every bathroom nor should anyone but those who want them have to pay for them.

[/B]

[quote name='kakalina']I see absolutely no need for a scale in the cabins. We usually lose weight on a cruise due to the extra exercise and choosing good healthy meals most of the time.

A scale would make me so aware every single day that I feel I wouldn't enjoy myself as much. Right now I weigh twice a week, I have lost 45 pounds since March 1st. When I do take our next cruise in 3 months I won't worry excessively about weight gain. If I do gain any weight on the cruise I will worry about losing it when I get home again.[/quote]
CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss!! Have fun on your next voyage.

[quote name='mudscraper']CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss!! Have fun on your next voyage.[/quote]

Thanks Rich. It is so true it is harder to take off as the years go by. :( It's a lot of work but well worth it.

[quote name='IRL_Joanie'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]
Sail, go to the Medical Center once every other day or so and weigh yourself:) IF you are that concerned buy a lightweight bathroom scale (if there is such a beast) and take it with you.:)

I believe if HAL provided scales for everyone that thought they needed/wanted/ one, the cost of the cruise might have to go up to make up for these... They have to make money off someone anyway, they could rent them to you for a week or 2 or however long your cruise is:cool:;)

Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Joanie, can you go into the Medical Center to weigh yourself without a fee? I'm guessing most of the medical centers are low and likely midships and the scales there are quite well maintained.

Roy

On a 72 day cruise a man at my dinner table lost 30 pounds! He was an inspiration that it is possible. At dinner he ate primarily the fish entrees and one other course (app, soup or salad) and never dessert or alcohol. He also walked a lot and looked great at the end of the cruise. Now if I could just develop half the will power he had.

[quote name='wander']On a 72 day cruise a man at my dinner table lost 30 pounds! He was an inspiration that it is possible. At dinner he ate primarily the fish entrees and one other course (app, soup or salad) and never dessert or alcohol. He also walked a lot and looked great at the end of the cruise. Now if I could just develop half the will power he had.[/quote]
I could dedicate myself to good habits on a 72 day cruise. But, it's impossible for me on 7 or 14 days. Of course, I don't need to lose more than about 5 lbs anyway - so there is that.

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

Watched the documentary "Weight of the Nation" on the weekend...we North Americans are in terrible trouble...within a few decades we may need a scale on every street corner,never mind cruise ship staterooms

The facts presented certainly gave me food for thought (pun intended.).so much so, I walked to work today. LOL Give it a peek folks ,if you take the message to heart, you may never need a scale again.

Archived