MTD: Ins and Outs

We will be doing My Time Dining for the first time this October. Can someone PLEASE explain the ins and outs? Do you just "show up" anytime the MDR is open? I just read in a review about the person's "reservations" for MTD...Huh??? :confused:

We will be doing My Time Dining for the first time this October. Can someone PLEASE explain the ins and outs? Do you just "show up" anytime the MDR is open? I just read in a review about the person's "reservations" for MTD...Huh??? :confused:

We normally just show up and are seated quite promptly. Some prefer to set a specific time when they will eat, and if that time doesn't coincide with the times established for traditional dining, selecting My Time Dining and making reservations for a specific time or times each evening is an excellent alternative. Either way (with reservations or without) MTD provides the flexibility that traditional dining lacks. You can eat at the same time or a different time each evening and if you find a particular team of servers that you enjoy, you can request to be seated at one of their tables and the staff will do their best to accommodate you. Obviously this could require you to adjust your dining schedule to match theirs but probably not by a lot. We were skeptical of My Time Dining after less than satisfactory experiences with Princess' Anytime Dining and NCL's Freestyle, but were very pleasantly surprised at how well MTD and Celebrity's Select Dining worked for us.:)

Last month we had MTD and we essentially used it as a first seating time. I would usually make a reservation when we got back on the ship from shore. When I showed up for dinner, I would ask for a specific table #. Since it was early enough that table was usually available. If it wasn't I simply asked to be seated with our waiter. I know you can also simply show up and there was only one night we did this. There wasn't a line and we still ended up with the same waiter. It was nice for the few nights we had something to do we weren't rushed to dinner at a set time. We really enjoyed MTD and are using it on our cruise next year.

We are trying MTD for the first time in Feb on FOS. Is there a specific cut off time when making reservations? If I called at 4pm for a 6pm reservation is that ok? Or would that be too late to call?

It is confusing because it is called MTD but you do also have an option to reserve or not. Yes, you just show up. We had MTD and loved it. Booked all our shows and then dined around those times. We were a party of 6 and never waited. :)

We are trying MTD for the first time in Feb on FOS. Is there a specific cut off time when making reservations? If I called at 4pm for a 6pm reservation is that ok? Or would that be too late to call?

The only problem you would have is if you can reach anyone & availability. I don't remember the times, but the reservation desk is open for a couple of hours in the morning & afternoon so if you don't stop or call during those times, you've got a problem.

I initially made reservations online & then adjusted them once we were onboard. That way I had a time that I was pretty sure would work.

I second Phoenix1181 sentiments.

I pre-booked my MTD dining times through the website about a month before the cruise (first RCL cruise). Then the day we boarded we went to the dining room desk to verify our reservations (again first time cruising in ages, just wanted to be safe). The gentleman was able to tell us the show times for the rest of our cruise off the top of his head so we tweaked our reservations accordingly with no issues.

I'm the type of person who enjoys having their vacations planned out. Many many others prefer a more relaxed style (Ohh I so wish I could do that, but I just can't ). MTD (in my opinion) is great. Its the best of both worlds. If you want reservations (other than the standard early/late seatings) you can make them. If you just want to eat when you are ready, you can with no/minimal waiting.

As a rule, we show up when we feel like it, never make reservations. The only time we made reservations was on Oasis when we had a couple of shows that we had to make. Otherwise, never. That is what we love about MTD, flexibility. Rarely, if ever, do we have to wait, and when we do, it is never more than a couple minutes.

We always get the same waitstaff, and the service is fantastic. We like eating at our own pace, have found we really enjoy just eating alone. We talk about the day, talk about the next day, etc. We meet so many people on the ship, that not having dinner with anyone but ourselves has proven to be very enjoyable for us.

This is a strange question related to MTD....Is it possible to "ask" to be seated with another couple that is around our ages. For example, can my wife and I share dinner with anothe 20-30something couple/group? Does the head waiter have that kind of information?

This is a strange question related to MTD....Is it possible to "ask" to be seated with another couple that is around our ages. For example, can my wife and I share dinner with anothe 20-30something couple/group? Does the head waiter have that kind of information?

Better yet..Go to ihe meet & mingle and find some new best friends to dine with for the next week...;)

Better yet..Go to ihe meet & mingle and find some new best friends to dine with for the next week...;)

I only asked the question because I am used to cruises with LARGE groups (family/friends).

We are signed up for the M&M and hope to do that. With that said, it apprears that the roll call for our sailing date is among the slowest on the boards. Not many views/comments.

In attempts to cast a wide net, we are saling on FOS 09/09 Eastern.

Archived