What Are the Benefits to Booking a Cruise...

cellyml12

I read a lot about people saying to make sure to book future cruises before leaving the cruise you're on. Can anyone explain the benefits to doing this, as opposed to waiting for sales closer to dates you want to cruise? Thanks!

With Princess there is no real benefit, as long as you buy the Future Criuse Credit (FCC) before you get off. This gives the same benefit for booking after the cruise thru either Princess or a TA as you coul get on the ship.

What I think most people are saying, is what Paul said above. You don't have to actually book a cruise, but you want to put down a FCC, or Future Cruise Credit. I just bought two on my last cruise, and don't have a cruise booked to go with them. (The two future cruises in my signature were booked with previous FCCs, so I still have two credits to use for future cruises.)

Your FCC will count as a deposit once you choose your cruise at some later point in time. Instead of paying the 50% deposit once you choose your cruise, you tell your TA that you have a FCC, and that counts as your deposit. Since the FCC is only $100, that is a great savings on deposit. Yes, you still pay the full payment when due, but you don't have all your money tied up early, especially when you book as far ahead as we do.

Also, the FCC is fully refundable. If you decide before final payment that you don't want to take cruise A, but want to take cruise B instead, just let your TA know, and the deposit is fully movable. It is also fully refundable back to your credit card if you don't book a cruise in 4 years.

In addition, with the FCC deposit, you receive a credit in your cruise account, of varying amounts based on the length of the cruise. For longer cruises, it's more than the cost of the FCC, which is really nice. This cruise credit is also in addition to stock credits, which is nice.

Some people do actually book their cruises on the ship, but I prefer to go through my own TA. The FCC allows me to do this, but with a lower deposit.

With Princess there is no real benefit, as long as you buy the Future Criuse Credit (FCC) before you get off. This gives the same benefit for booking after the cruise thru either Princess or a TA as you coul get on the ship.

Oh...ok. Thank you very much for the info!

If you plan to book while onboard, check your "My Princess" before you go so you will know the best rate Princess has to offer you. Also, check with a few TA's prior to going.

Buying the future cruise certs is good advice. Also, if you don't own 100 shares of Carnival stock, it is worth checking into BEFORE you go on this cruise.

In addition, with the FCC deposit, you receive a credit in your cruise account, of varying amounts based on the length of the cruise. For longer cruises, it's more than the cost of the FCC, which is really nice. This cruise credit is also in addition to stock credits, which is nice.

Some people do actually book their cruises on the ship, but I prefer to go through my own TA. The FCC allows me to do this, but with a lower deposit.

When I'm onboard, I always get an FCC because for me, it really pays to get one. As said, you don't have to book a cruise at the same time but rather use the $100 FCC as the deposit on a cruise at any time. If you see a cruise you want to take, just either call Princess or your TA and say you'd like to book and they'll apply the FCC as your deposit on the cruise. It's as simple and easy as that. If you cancel the cruise, the FCC goes back onto your account for use the next time you want to book. Here's a link to the information about how much onboard credit you get when you book with an FCC. Scroll down to "Future Cruise Consultant."

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/during_cruise/board.jsp

FYI, see the Consultant or fill out the form the first few days of your cruise if you plan to get an FCC. It gets very busy and crowded with people realizing what a great deal it is towards the end of the cruise. Also, the $100 is charged directly to the credit card on file for your onboard account, not to your onboard account, since it's technically a cruise booking and goes through a different accounting system. Just so you know.

On my last cruise, early June, I booked an upcoming cruise that I wanted to book anyway (round trip out of SFO to Hawaii), which was $100. I also bought a FCC for another $100 for some future cruise that is to be determined. I'd really like to do another Panama Canal or a different Alaska cruise, but something else may pop up that grabs my attention and won't let go.

With a view of eventually booking a cruise, which is offered in three segments, we purchased sufficient (6) FCC's to cover both of us. Each segment cabin is held with only two $100 FCC deposits and upon sailing; we each receive an On Board Credit for each segment or a total of six, which is a substantial return. But because there are other cruises to be had in our life we brought the FCC's up to ten in order to be prepared. We have been caught with no FCC's, but never again.

You can also buy FCCs on the bon voyage experience. It's worth it if you live near a port that offers it. If you book a cruise within 3 months, the price of the BVE is credited to the cruise.

If you plan to book while onboard, check your "My Princess" before you go so you will know the best rate Princess has to offer you. Also, check with a few TA's prior to going.

The pricing on board will be the same as if you booked with Princess that day on land. In other words, no discount just for booking on board.

Whether you book on board or on land, you can transfer the booking to a travel agent if you choose to do so.

So, you buy a FCC for $100 and that can be used as a deposit on another cruise. Do you also get an onboard credit for some amount as a bonus?

Yes you get an OBC as well. The amount depends on the length of the cruise. I've only used my FCC's for 7 day cruises and the OBC was $25.

On March 15, we were on the Sapphire when Princess opened bookings for the new Royal. We bought two FCCs, booked the October 9, 2013 Maiden Transatlantic, and had the booking transferred to our TA for a substantial discount. All done through the Sapphire's Future Cruise Consultant.

So, you buy a FCC for $100 and that can be used as a deposit on another cruise. Do you also get an onboard credit for some amount as a bonus?

Yes, the OBC is the same as you would get for booking online

You can also buy FCCs on the bon voyage experience. It's worth it if you live near a port that offers it. If you book a cruise within 3 months' date=' the price of the BVE is credited to the cruise.[/quote']

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, how do I find out if they have a BVE?? And THANK YOU everyone!! I REALLY appreciate all the info you guys are always willing to give!! It's GREAT for new comers!!:D

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, how do I find out if they have a BVE?? And THANK YOU everyone!! I REALLY appreciate all the info you guys are always willing to give!! It's GREAT for new comers!!:D

Call Princess directly. :)

If SF is an embarkation port, they may offer a BVE. Best thing to do is to call Princess to inquire and book. Check ship itineraries for the ships and dates they'll be in port. You don't need a TA to book. The cost is $39/pp and once you have a booking #, you go to the Princess Personalizer and fill in your passport and credit card info, just as you would for a standard booking.

When you arrive at the pier, tell the rep you're there for the Bon Voyage Experience and they'll direct you to a desk where your name is checked off. Then, you go to check in and once that's done and you receive a temporary cruise card, you are directed to a seating area right next to boarding. A rep will come and get you to lead you onboard before any passengers. You will have a photo taken and then have free time or can take a tour. Lunch is at about 12:15pm in the dining room and is delicious. You then have free time to explore the ship but must disembark before Muster. You pick up your photos at the photo desk before leaving. The photos came out great, just like a professional photo.

I did this in May, had a great time and plan to do it again. We hung out in the Sanctuary (for free) for an hour or more and then headed to the International Cafe to check it out. I have since booked another cruise and the $39 will be an OBC on the cruise.

Thank You Pam!!!! I started a thread on it, in case nobody looked at this one again. I will call them to find out about it. We are going on an Alaskan cruise next May & since we are a short BART ride from SF, I thought maybe they had one of these, just to see what it's all about. I know over the next few months we'll have a few ships in port, so I will call to get info. Thank you for explaining the experience too. Now we'll know what to expect if they have one over here!

I've only used my FCC's for 7 day cruises and the OBC was $25.

Thanks for the info. I guess it's better than nothing but seems kinda chintzy when compared to Carnival & NCL (the only other lines I've purchased FCC from).

Thanks for the info. I guess it's better than nothing but seems kinda chintzy when compared to Carnival & NCL (the only other lines I've purchased FCC from).

Depends on type of cabin and length of cruise.

$25 would be an inside or oceanview cabin on a cruise of 7-10 days.

If you were in a balcony/mini-suite/suite on a cruise of 17 or more days, it would be $150.

This is per person with FCCs issued after mid-March, 2012.

Archived