Riviera Entertainment

aunteemom

Can you please give me a rundown on the Riviera entertainment? Do they have major productions every night? Do they have more than one show per evening?

It is difficult to answer the question that you ask because in some areas of the World, Oceania's itineraries are so port intensive that the entertainment is scaled back slightly, while on something like a Trans-ocean Voyage, the bar is raised.

There is a Show in the main Showroom (the Riviera Lounge) every evening, but I would not call every show a "major production". Some are rather simple affairs (a classical soloist comes to mind).

If there is a "name singer" performing, for example, the ships own troupe of singers and dancers may or may not be involved.

Similarly, if a particular act is thought to be a tremendous attraction, a second show will usually be scheduled. That second show might be a "late show", or it could be on another evening entirely.

The Orchestra almost always plays dance music for an hour before showtime. and there is always dance music up in Horizons, either played by a combo or a DJ (dependent on the passengers musical tastes).

In short (although it may be too late for that), the entertainment varies widely, and you'll just need to check your daily program. :D

On our recent cruise, there were two "production shows", a magician, Jerry Blaine playing movie themes, singers Enrico Cifiello, Kelsey Youmans and Antonio Salci. Plus a first-night Welcome Aboard show in the Rivieria Lounge. The shows started a little late for us. I think the earliest was 9:00. The usual time was 9:45.

The band usually played between 6:30 and 8:15 p.m., depending on the port Jerry Blaine and the String Quartet played at different times in the evenings throughout the cruise.

Weeeeellll-------I guess it depends on what you compare the show to. I thought is was o.k., but then I have seen Phantom and Cats on Broadway and at the Kennedy Center. The production shows on other cruise lines still have O beat, but you can't say that they aren't trying.

• 3 weeks later...

I presume there's a pianist in the lounges, like the piano bar, before and after dinner? And presumably they are sometimes vocalists as well? Are they usually entertaining and engage the audience, or do they just tinkle away in the background?

Any chance of some more lively music once in a while? Is there an orchestra, for example?

I presume there's a pianist in the lounges, like the piano bar, before and after dinner? And presumably they are sometimes vocalists as well? Are they usually entertaining and engage the audience, or do they just tinkle away in the background?

Any chance of some more lively music once in a while? Is there an orchestra, for example?

Wendy, piano player in the Martinis bar, never a vocalist that I've seen (unlike Regent in that regard). If you are fotunate enough to have Jerry Blaine the piano playing will be beyond expectations; however I never paid much attention to the other piano players. Jerry does the most entertaining "Name That Tune" competition on occasional evenings after the show, usually around 10:30 PM or so. There is always a ship band, and always a string quartet, sometimes excellent, always pleasing. Occasionally the string quartet and band get together to form a 12 piece orchestra for an evening show. Occasionally two or three members of the band form a small combo. There is a DJ for late night entertainment in Horizons lounge, but I've only made it there once in about 120 nights or so, and that was just as they were closing for lack of audience. That was on Insignia; I think there might be more late-nighters on Marina or Riviera (late night on an Oceania ship might mean Midnight :eek:.

There is an orchestra in the lounge before the show... after the show they play in Horizons

String quartet in the GDR Bar area in the evening ...specific times listed in the CURRENTS, They also play during tea time

Piano player in Martini's bar in the evening ...if you have Jerry Blaine ..yes he engages the audience

Thanks guy, sounds good. By vocalist I just meant a piano player who also sings sometimes.

I have heard Jerry sing on occasion but not sure about the other piano players:D

I should make mention here of the incomparable Jerry Blaine, who was performing on the Riviera when we left her at the end of May, and stays with her, I believe until the end of the year.

163453.jpg

Jerry is the finest musician that I have ever met personally, and with apologies to Messieurs Feinstein and Lang his musicianship puts the current crop of performers to shame. Jerry can, and does, perform virtually every song ever written at a moments notice, and his arrangements are perfection. I can never get through his "Tenderly" dry eyed.

Johnnie-Ray-Greatest-Hits-377628.jpg Jerry also hosts Name that Tune once or twice per week, and his patter is smooth and anecdote filled, perhaps developed during his years as Conductor of Johnnie Ray's stage show, when the entire world of big name show business passed through his dressing room door.

Ask him, if you have the nerve and twnty minutes free, about the night that Phyllis Diller kissed him!

• 2 weeks later...

We are just back from Riviera's Barcelona-Istanbul.

Team trivia was limited to 4 per team.

Big O point items no longer have the over the shoulder tote.

Trivia was held in Martini's, although we didn't get there- too busy.

Archived