What If....Mustard Drill FAQuestion!

This past January on Legend they announced several cabins that were missing and to please get to their muster stations.

Some of the ships officers went up and down the halls to EACH cabin and if they couldn't open the door with their "master key", they knew someone was in there.

Eventually those DEADBEATS did show up and everybody was booing them as it made us have to stay out in the heat for a longer time. Very inconsiderate.

Not thrilled that we will have to do it again on the 2nd leg of our B2B, but we will do it.

I read somewhere that John Heald said Platinum members don't have to attend.

Kidding aside... I can almost guarantee anyone posting on here saying they either don't go to the drills or have skipped; would be the first people in line to sue the cruise line should an actual emergency occur. Anyone agree?

If you miss or skip the muster dril:

Likely: you will have to make it up

Worst case scenario: you are removed from the ship and you lose your cruise.

Has it happened before on Carnival? I don't know but it did happen on another cruiseline as posted before an older lady refused to go to the drill and she was kicked off the ship which meant her husband was out of luck even though he went to the drill.

Eng23, I noticed this steerage.jpgat the end of your sig line and I am curious too what this is. Would you please enlighten? Thanks.:)

Eng23, I noticed this steerage.jpgat the end of your sig line and I am curious too what this is. Would you please enlighten? Thanks.:)

It's the only loyalty program where everyone can join, you never get kicked out, and the benefits are the same for everyone. It's kind of a running joke though with Royal Caribbean cruisers... Just think of Titanic and all the people that were travelling in "steerage" class. They welcomed anyone no matter wether you were rich or poor into their area and all had a good time.

It's the only loyalty program where everyone can join, you never get kicked out, and the benefits are the same for everyone. It's kind of a running joke though with Royal Caribbean cruisers... Just think of Titanic and all the people that were travelling in "steerage" class. They welcomed anyone no matter wether you were rich or poor into their area and all had a good time.

I love it! Thanks so much for replying.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but you are putting me at greater risk by not going. I want everyone around me to know what to do in an emergency. Not people running around without a clue of what to do.

I read somewhere that John Heald said Platinum members don't have to attend.

Kidding aside... I can almost guarantee anyone posting on here saying they either don't go to the drills or have skipped; would be the first people in line to sue the cruise line should an actual emergency occur. Anyone agree?

Well, I have skipped, and I'm not the sueing kind. Honestly, I skipped one time out of 6. It was the ONE cruise I didn't take my kids on...always go when kids are on board with me to make sure they know what to do.

Anyway, I really didn't think it was a big deal because we didn't hide or anything. We just sat on the Lido and enjoyed our drinks till it was over. No less than 10 crew members walked by and nobody said a thing to us. If they had, we certainly would have gone. I have learned better from reading here. I won't skip again. Scouts honor.

Well, I have skipped, and I'm not the sueing kind. Honestly, I skipped one time out of 6. It was the ONE cruise I didn't take my kids on...always go when kids are on board with me to make sure they know what to do.

Anyway, I really didn't think it was a big deal because we didn't hide or anything. We just sat on the Lido and enjoyed our drinks till it was over. No less than 10 crew members walked by and nobody said a thing to us. If they had, we certainly would have gone. I have learned better from reading here. I won't skip again. Scouts honor.

Hard to believe a crew member would see you on lido and not tell you to go down to muster drill. Bet nowadays you would be talking to security if you sat there for a length of time.

Muster drill is always frustrating for me in that it makes me really irritated to listen to people b*tch and moan about how boring and inconvenient it is to have to stand in the hot sun on Lido or where ever to be briefed on safety and what happens in the event of a disaster. And you know that if an emergency happens requiring evacuation to the life boats, those same people who b*tched about having to be in the drill will be the first people complaining that they don't know where to go and that the crew didn't make them aware of what to do in a disaster.

To be brutally blunt, the stuff they go over in muster drill could be the difference between life and death, so STFU and pay attention. It's 15 minutes of your time.....

I just watched this documentary about the Concordia last night. I believe it was called "CRUISESHIP DISASTER" or something like that. It was a very informative and interesting documentary. Some personal video accounts as well as some "re-created stuff"

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would even consider skipping a mandatory safety drill. I don't care if you have sailed 100 times or been on that ship several cruises. Every disaster or emergency is different from another and it is what 15-30 minutes that could save your life if ever needed.

On the documentary they mentioned how the Concordia did not even have a Muster drill? really? I think it should be required before the ship is even abaly to leave the port. Emergencies can occur at any time even 5 miles out, so within 24 hours is still unexceptable if you ask me.

Those people that skip it will be the first ones complaining "WE DIDN'T KNOW WHERE TO GO OR WHAT TO DO" Wish they had a card swip or something accounting your presence. Then if for some reason there was a need to abandon ship those not accounted for at the safety drill will have to wait. I bet that would change some peoples minds.

It's only a waste of time, until you need to use the information.

Concordia did have a muster drill, they then picked up more passengers the day the accident happened, those passengers would have had muster the next day.

Muster drill or not, in an emergency I don't think it would work anywhere near that smoothly unless you had plenty of time.

That used to be one of the best pictures of the cruise with the life jackets on. Miss those but not all the dopes who let the belts drag on the ground after being told repeatedly not to.

i think its law now they have to perform muster drill b4 the ship leaves the pier.. so if you skip than can kick you off then not the 1st port date.. btw wouldnt it be a shame to hid out in the bathroom skipping muster than be kicked off the ship and miss a wonderful cruise..

i think its law now they have to perform muster drill b4 the ship leaves the pier.. so if you skip than can kick you off then not the 1st port date.. btw wouldnt it be a shame to hid out in the bathroom skipping muster than be kicked off the ship and miss a wonderful cruise..

those room motion sensors work wonders!

Muster is not as easy to skip as some are making it. My wife is special needs and doesn't attend but we always notify someone ahead of time and she is given a "sheet" explaining procedure (I never miss and she is always with me) AND she tells me that on every cruise the cabin is always checked by the room steward. Why would you want to skip anyway. In an emergency there would be enough confusion without idiots that skipped the drill not knowing what to do or where to go?

Hard to believe a crew member would see you on lido and not tell you to go down to muster drill. Bet nowadays you would be talking to security if you sat there for a length of time.

Yeah, like I said, I wouldn't do it again. I learned better. It never even occured to me at the time that missing it was a big deal. I had been to several and figured I was an expert by then. Also, I firmly believe that no ship would dare to sink with me on it.:D

I think the people who skip or complain about the muster drills are the same people who put their giant overweight bag in the overhead bin on the flight to the cruise port. The drill looks simple in the bright light of day with no panic. If it were dark, smoky, or the ship was listing to one side it would be a totally different scenario.

My 2 cents

It is NOT optional.....you are required to attend. The stateroom stewards go room to room to make sure you are not hiding out in your room.

A few weeks back a couple on Holland America refused to go to the Muster Drill and they were kicked off the ship.

Make sure that your cruise doesn't start out without you

It is NOT optional.....you are required to attend. The stateroom stewards go room to room to make sure you are not hiding out in your room.

A few weeks back a couple on Holland America refused to go to the Muster Drill and they were kicked off the ship.

Make sure that your cruise doesn't start out without you

it's no fun watching the sail away from the pier

On both legs of my recent B2B on the Miracle they did count passengers at the muster drill.

Same when I was on the Miracle. They counted and the Hotel Director walked through each Muster Station and checked the count with the crew.

I find this surprising as well as I have always seen Crew walk around and clear people from lounges and open decks as well as stewards checking every room and placing the red card in the slot..... HOWEVER my good friend who has cruised about 25 times told me that he was extremely surprised that when he sailed the Valor in December that all the Pax who were sitting in the Sports Bar watching the football game STAYED and watch the game during Muster. NO One asked to leave and go to their stations. He said there were a bunch of people in there watching the game and both he and his son were very surprised that they were not asked to clear the bar.

I DO NOT think that would happen now.

Until this thread, I had never heard of a "2nd, or make up" muster drill for the ones who missed the 1st one. I dont understand how anyone can say they "didnt know" the muster drill is mandatory. Especially when the loud speakers repeatedly TELL everyone to get to muster, and that it is mandatory. On our last cruise, in May, the rooms were all being checked to make sure no one was hiding out. And, they did head counts to go find ones that were missing. It could save yours or someone else's life one day!! Just go! Also, I have read recently of more than 1 couple being thrown off cruise for not attending.

Until this thread, I had never heard of a "2nd, or make up" muster drill for the ones who missed the 1st one. I dont understand how anyone can say they "didnt know" the muster drill is mandatory. Especially when the loud speakers repeatedly TELL everyone to get to muster, and that it is mandatory. On our last cruise, in May, the rooms were all being checked to make sure no one was hiding out. And, they did head counts to go find ones that were missing. It could save yours or someone else's life one day!! Just go! Also, I have read recently of more than 1 couple being thrown off cruise for not attending.
they had them when we boarded late due to a delayed flight bought thru the cruise line

Archived