What If....Mustard Drill FAQuestion!

Did you see the documentary on the Concordia disaster last week? Very interesting. They talked about the Muster drill and questioned why it didn't take place the first day of sailing. I would never skip muster even though tempted at times.

When and on what channel (station) did this air?

When we had our muster on the Dream last August, Butch the CD was like peeople in room blah blah blah, we see you on your balcony, you have to report to muster. If you just go and get it over with you will be fine. I feel its better to be safe than sorry.

I know there are the few crazies out there (I say that lovingly lol) who love muster but most people think it stinks and just put up with it. It can be hot and long and gross. In March on the Freedom it was very hot and a girl passed out had to get the medical team in and helped her away.

On my first muster I was early, because that's how I am, and I was pressed up against the wall and squished by people who were a lot taller than I was, it was hot and sticky and I got very claustrophobic on top of which I couldn't see or hear so apart from knowing where to go I missed all the other potentially lifesaving information.

Here's what I do now: I wait. I go to the stairwell area on my deck and wait just inside the hallway by the stairs. I watch all the other people traipsing down the stairs and when I see that it is really starting to taper off I go ahead and head down. I am usually in the first row or two and I get to see and hear everything, I am not forced into a claustrophobic situation and I get to get out of there faster when it's all done.

As a side note, in my experience: the cabin stewards check every room. They knock, open the door, and flag it with a little plastic red card that sits inside the key card slot. I guess you could technically hide in there somewhere but is it really worth it? I don't' think so.

There are people on a concordia ship that wish people took it more seriously.

Absolutely. Have always found muster drills to be taken seriously aboard every cruise line we've cruised with, EXCEPT CCL. Every cabin is accounted for on X, HAL, and Princess. Maybe we'll see a change when aboard The Breeze in December.

When and on what channel (station) did this air?

It was on the National Geographic channel last week sometime. It was on during the day so I had to dvr it since I was at work. There is also a program on CNN that was on last night and will be replayed on July 8th at 8 p.m.

The one I watched was really something. They focused on two groups of passengers and several crew. They also played the conversation between the captain and the Coast Guard captain. It was a really good program.

It was on the National Geographic channel last week sometime. It was on during the day so I had to dvr it since I was at work. There is also a program on CNN that was on last night and will be replayed on July 8th at 8 p.m.

The one I watched was really something. They focused on two groups of passengers and several crew. They also played the conversation between the captain and the Coast Guard captain. It was a really good program.

Do you by chance remember the names of the programs? I would be interested in watching but didn't find them on CNN or natgeo.

Do you by chance remember the names of the programs? I would be interested in watching but didn't find them on CNN or natgeo.

I just watched this documentary about the Concordia last night. I believe it was called "CRUISESHIP DISASTER" or something like that. It was a very informative and interesting documentary. Some personal video accounts as well as some "re-created stuff"

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would even consider skipping a mandatory safety drill. I don't care if you have sailed 100 times or been on that ship several cruises. Every disaster or emergency is different from another and it is what 15-30 minutes that could save your life if ever needed.

On the documentary they mentioned how the Concordia did not even have a Muster drill? really? I think it should be required before the ship is even abaly to leave the port. Emergencies can occur at any time even 5 miles out, so within 24 hours is still unexceptable if you ask me.

Those people that skip it will be the first ones complaining "WE DIDN'T KNOW WHERE TO GO OR WHAT TO DO" Wish they had a card swip or something accounting your presence. Then if for some reason there was a need to abandon ship those not accounted for at the safety drill will have to wait. I bet that would change some peoples minds.

It's only a waste of time, until you need to use the information.

you could end up like that one elderly couple and get kicked off...why risk it? its freaking 10 minutes (if people show up on time, otherwise were all standing there waiting for the people that try to skip it) is it really going to kill you? NO! just do it!

I just watched this documentary about the Concordia last night. I believe it was called "CRUISESHIP DISASTER" or something like that. It was a very informative and interesting documentary. Some personal video accounts as well as some "re-created stuff"

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would even consider skipping a mandatory safety drill. I don't care if you have sailed 100 times or been on that ship several cruises. Every disaster or emergency is different from another and it is what 15-30 minutes that could save your life if ever needed.

On the documentary they mentioned how the Concordia did not even have a Muster drill? really? I think it should be required before the ship is even abaly to leave the port. Emergencies can occur at any time even 5 miles out, so within 24 hours is still unexceptable if you ask me.

Those people that skip it will be the first ones complaining "WE DIDN'T KNOW WHERE TO GO OR WHAT TO DO" Wish they had a card swip or something accounting your presence. Then if for some reason there was a need to abandon ship those not accounted for at the safety drill will have to wait. I bet that would change some peoples minds.

It's only a waste of time, until you need to use the information.

Thanks!! I found it. Its called Cruise to Disaster. Its on 7/7 and 7/8.

I still have the one in my dvr from the Nat Geographic channel. I will repost this when I get home from work and I will let you know the name of it. It was something like Cruiseship disaster Costa Concordia.

I have never missed a Muster Drill but I have to say, I don't believe the drills give us much information. Please tell me what you get out of the drills other than learning where the muster station is (important, yes) and how to put a life jacket that anyone should be able to do.

I agree on this. The muster drill is not where you are told to go; you find that information on the card on the back of your door. It only tells you how to put on a life vest. And that never changes.

Andy.

I agree on this. The muster drill is not where you are told to go; you find that information on the card on the back of your door. It only tells you how to put on a life vest. And that never changes.

Andy.

I'm confused. For every one of our 14 cruises we had to report to

our muster station for the drill. This would also be where we would

go to be evacuated.

We were once allowed to sit in the lounge during muster rather than

hold our two grandchildren. Other families were there along with a

few elderly. The rest of the passengers were right outside the lounge

at their specific stations.

I think if you miss the Mustard drill your required to Ketchup at a later time. :D

Then I better, Relish in the glory and get my buns to the drill!...lol

Ahahahahahaa! I *heart* you both, well done!!!! :D

Archived