A quick tip about ATD (AnyTime Dining)

kwagmyre

We have done ATD and really like it...due to the flexibility. We did find on the Victory that they kept one area upstairs of the MDR as ATD seating...we could not sit downstairs even if someone didn't show for dinner at a table...however, we had great service, got to meet some great people. We did find that there were no large tables set aside for ATD...it was tables for 2 or 4...but all was good! We're on the Dream in Sept and we chose ATD again.

One night we wanted to get to a show...didn't have time for dessert...but came back after the show just for dessert....it was fine!

We've done anytime dining twice, both on the Miracle. We had the same waitstaff each night on both cruises (we requested them after first night). We usually arrived around 7:30. Only one time did we have to wait a few minutes. We always get a table for two. I agree with previous poster - flexible dining is a deal breaker for us. Won't cruise on lines with only traditional dining.

Who was the Maitre d' on the Dream?

I don't know the name of the Maitre D' in ATD. I only know he is Indian, and although pleasant, doesn't know squat. I say that because I asked him about the waitress we had on our first ATD cruise as she was wonderful. I gave him her name etc. and he said he didn't know her.

That shows how much he knows. If he doesn't know his staff, and I am talking staff of 6 months ago, who still had time on her contract, NOT years ago, he is next to worthless, to me.

I don't know the names of the Maitre D's in the Scarlett and Crimson dining rooms that are not ATD.

I've done ATD twice. Once on NCL's Pride of Aloha, back in 2005. It was a disaster. Meals took FOREVER.

We also did it on a family cruise on Carnival Spirit. There were 10 of us in the group, and exactly one 10-top table. We managed to get it a few times, but only if we were in line before the doors opened. So that's something else to consider- if you're in a group, I'd opt for a set dining time.

We just switched to ATD on victory for 6. I hope we wont have a problem sitting together.

You shouldn't have any issues. They move tables around to accommodate when necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse typographical errors.

You shouldn't have any issues. They move tables around to accommodate when necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse typographical errors.

Really? I thought the tables were all bolted down?

Interesting read. Had set times for all previous cruises, trying ATD on our next cruise, which is the Legend, and the Legend has not been getting great dining reviews recently, so this may have been a mistake. I have found that the food on the Fascination is by far better than the Legend anyway, the Fantasy ships do have better food, but we will, on our next Fascination cruise, not do set dining, we absolutely cannot stand the Maitre'd for the Fascination's rear dining room-don't know his name, but if sweet home alabama sounds familiar, run like hades!

To me, there were some important issues to mention:

The way NCL does freestyle is great... You make reservations, so they know who is going where and when.

ATD on Carnival is set up to fail, IMO. There is no way for them to know who is going where and at what time. And to me, it isn't even like regular restaurant dining where you just show up. At least when you do that, you tend to get a relaxing dining experience once you get your table.

Let's face it, you can't do bistro dining on a cruise ship.... It all needs to be coordinated so that each table in a section is roughly on the same course as the other tables for that waiter.

Our waiter, who I'm sure is an excellent waiter under good circumstances, kept forgetting things like our wine, bread, butter, etc. In other words, after the first night, we simply stopped asking for these things and we tried to bend to make it a more go with the flow situation.

If you are not a flexible person, I would recommend you do traditional seating. ATD is frustrating for the most flexible of people.

You do not make reservations for NCL's freestyle dining. You only make them for specialty restaurants not the MDR's. I'm looking forward to ATD on Carnival. For me is isn't necessary to have the same waiter and I don't want to have to eat at a specific time in order to eat in the MDR. Waiting for a while doesn't bother us either. It's just like a land restaurant if you don't have reservations.

We've had YTD a couple of times and haven't experienced any problems. We've been seated promptly and haven't been rushed or had issues getting our food. We've gone at varying times (never at the same time as traditional seating starts) and the service has been same each time. Maybe we've just been lucky. We'll see--we have YTD on our next three cruises. :D

If you eat before 7:30 P.M. you have no problem I love YTD

My first cruise ever is in Oct and we chose ATD. I don't like to plan when I'm going to eat (which is weird because I like to plan everything else in my life). I also don't mind waiting for a bit. But I don't know how often we'll eat in the MDR for dinner anyway.

We LOVE ATD and always try to get it. We are early eaters so we are pretty much going when the dining room opens and we have no trouble at all getting our table for two.

Also if we have a great wait staff we always ask for their area each night. Never had a problem with that request either.

Happy Sailing!!!

We are the same. Usually go right when they open.

We last cruised on NCL on the Star about 9 years ago. As I remember there were two up charge dinning venues then, I think one was $15 and the other was $25.

Thinking of doing another NCL cruise. What type and how much are the up charge venues now. Not sure what ship we will be on yet (not the Epic). Most likly out of Florida.

There are numerous restaurants available ranging from $10 a person to $25 a person. Children ages 12 and under eat for half price from the specialty restaurant menus and those under three are free. Also, 12 and under can choose to eat for free from the regular children's menu.

There are steakhouses, Italian, French, Japanese grill, Asian, sushi etc. Each restaurant varies depending upon the ship.

Archived