Do Carnival kids clubs have video games?

kwagmyre

I am researching for our next cruise, which will be a family cruise, and am mostly comparing Carnival to NCL. While it seems pretty obvious that NCL is putting more resources into their kids programs right now, one thing I noticed is that some of their clubs include Wii games, per their website.

I DO NOT like this. Without exception, every time I have had my kids in some sort of a camp/group/activity that had a game console, the end net result was that all the kids crowded around the console, ignored all the other activities, and the big kids hogged the console.

And, specific to my kids, even though they have a Wii at home, they don't get "unlimited" playtime, so I know they will be like junkies in an unlocked pharmacy if they get near something like this. It's not the same kind of gluttony as with food, which is inherently self-limiting. You binge. You purge. You learn. But electron intake is unlimited, yet with diminishing returns. Video games are the "meth" of the kid world.

And then, when they don't get enough playtime, fighting, tears, anger and frustration, all for me to deal with in the aftermath.

I can see it happening, plain as day. That light at the end of the tunnel? Yeah, that's a train coming.

So, my question is, does Carnival have a similar "offering"? The availability (or lack thereof) will probably be a major factor in my decision-making.

Yes they do, although the age groups (Older kids get their own areas on the ship) are separated. from what i remember the kids don't crowd around the video games and there are many activities for the to do.

My kids were in camp on the magic. 6-8 yr old had access to wii and computer games. 9-11 had access to ps3. Both played quite a bit while in camp...probably too much for your taste based on your post. We have them at home but they dont play much. Honestly, our wii goes weeks w/out being used. My kids played more the week of vaca then they have in months at home. Honestly, if someone despises video games as much as it sounds like you do, i wouldnt recommend camp for your kids. Like i said, my kids played everytime they went to camp.

Like others have said, they do have video games. My kids may have played them some when in CC, but they enjoyed the other activities much more, and they usually like to play Wii and DS at home. That being said, CC is not open 24 hours a day, and you can always limit the time your child spends at CC. There will be a schedule of CC activities everyday, and you could choose to send them when they are having swim time, scavenger hunt, etc.

sorry but...if you dont like it dont send them. They are your kids. You take care of them and entertain them then. No one is forcing you to send your kids to CC.

You must have read my mind to post that. Glad I'm not the only one that thought this too.

My experience is that both lines have the video games. My kids said that NCL limited each kid's time/access to the games. It also sounded like there was a separate area for video gaming. There was so much activity going on in the NCL club that they were well-occupied by other activities.

In the Carnival kids club, the kids were limited their video game time but unfortunately were not that entertained by the other activities going on, so much that they just complained that they didn't have enough time on the video games.

Hands down, if kids club is important to you, I would choose NCL. Plus they don't close down for lunch and dinner, especially important if you eat during non-traditional hours and the kids want to be at kids club during those times. However, if the kids club having video games is a deal-breaker, you will be out of luck because they will likely be on every cruise line!

sorry but...if you dont like it dont send them. They are your kids. You take care of them and entertain them then. No one is forcing you to send your kids to CC.

Not sure if you noticed this or not, but you failed to answer my question, which, basically, was whether or not Carnival also has video games at their kids camps. I didn't ask, "What should I do about this?" So, your response is basically off-topic, shows a lack of basic reading comprehension, and is completely uncalled for.

You must have read my mind to post that. Glad I'm not the only one that thought this too.

Uh-huh. Except that, I'm the guy who's spending his time researching for a cruise, to take his kids on, down to the level of detail of what specifically offered at the kids clubs, if they should express the desire to go, and attempting to mitigate what I perceive to be in their best interests, both from a standpoint of what should be included, as well as what IMHO should be excluded.

Yet, somehow, that is turned into a question of my parenting. Only on CruiseCritic. :rolleyes:

And yes, I am already fully aware that I can implement the exclusions myself. I'm all good on the parenting skills, thanks. But if at any point in the future I should feel that I need some parenting advice, I'll be sure to log onto a cruising website on the internet to get it.

It's ok though. I know it feels good to make snap judgements of people, make anonymous comments from behind a keyboard, and enjoy a temporary rush of superiority. I've been guilty of the same thing myself.

My experience is that both lines have the video games. My kids said that NCL limited each kid's time/access to the games. It also sounded like there was a separate area for video gaming. There was so much activity going on in the NCL club that they were well-occupied by other activities.

In the Carnival kids club, the kids were limited their video game time but unfortunately were not that entertained by the other activities going on, so much that they just complained that they didn't have enough time on the video games.

Hands down, if kids club is important to you, I would choose NCL. Plus they don't close down for lunch and dinner, especially important if you eat during non-traditional hours and the kids want to be at kids club during those times. However, if the kids club having video games is a deal-breaker, you will be out of luck because they will likely be on every cruise line!

Thank you very much for posting an actually useful response (seriously).

Now that I know that both CCL and NCL have this, as well as most major lines, I can at least know that these items (specific to the video games) cancel each other out on a comparison matrix, and is something I will have to contend with on any cruise line, just like chair hogs or long lines at tenders. I can handle working within a subset of defined parameters - it's the unknown that annoys the hell out of me.

As to the broader question of the kids clubs in general, I had already gotten the idea that NCL's seemed to be superior, your post is just further confirmation of that.

So, thank you again for answering my question.

At the first night's meeting you will get a weekly schedule, including gaming system activities. Just don't send the kids during those times. Many times only a few were on the machines and everyone else was doing something else.

The clubs are divided by age: 2-5, 6-8, 9-11, 12-14, 15-18.

Certainly Carnival has video games, I would imagine all cruise lines would as kids ENJOY playing them.

That's what cruising is all about - relaxing and enjoying yourself. Not having someone standing over you with a stop watch ready to call out - TIME!!

I heard that in Circle C they only have video games during after dinner-midnight when there isnt another activity. The only other time they usually turn on them is during specific video game hours. I have also seen kids socialize and make friends while playing video games with others, which can in turn lead to the new friends hanging out doing other things then video game

Not sure if you noticed this or not, but you failed to answer my question, which, basically, was whether or not Carnival also has video games at their kids camps. I didn't ask, "What should I do about this?" So, your response is basically off-topic, shows a lack of basic reading comprehension, and is completely uncalled for.

I thought the comment was off topic too

I am researching for our next cruise, which will be a family cruise, and am mostly comparing Carnival to NCL. While it seems pretty obvious that NCL is putting more resources into their kids programs right now, one thing I noticed is that some of their clubs include Wii games, per their website.

I DO NOT like this. Without exception, every time I have had my kids in some sort of a camp/group/activity that had a game console, the end net result was that all the kids crowded around the console, ignored all the other activities, and the big kids hogged the console.

And, specific to my kids, even though they have a Wii at home, they don't get "unlimited" playtime, so I know they will be like junkies in an unlocked pharmacy if they get near something like this. It's not the same kind of gluttony as with food, which is inherently self-limiting. You binge. You purge. You learn. But electron intake is unlimited, yet with diminishing returns. Video games are the "meth" of the kid world.

And then, when they don't get enough playtime, fighting, tears, anger and frustration, all for me to deal with in the aftermath.

I can see it happening, plain as day. That light at the end of the tunnel? Yeah, that's a train coming.

So, my question is, does Carnival have a similar "offering"? The availability (or lack thereof) will probably be a major factor in my decision-making.

Ok I am going to try to explain this in the most helpful manner possible, yes both lines have game systems, not just Wii, but also PS3 and Xbox, from everything I have seen, they have kids take turns, do they moderate this with a timer-no, however they don't allow any one child to "hog" it. They also don't allow games with any more explicit rating than than an E-10 and that's in Circle C. From your post I am not really sure if your problem is so much the games, as maybe your children not getting enough time on it. I see you have never cruised with kids (maybe you have, I am going by your current identity) but, the job of the club counselors is to see that your children have fun activities and are entertained to the best of their abilities. They do not provide education, moderation or a moral compass, as that is your job. Any child in Circle C or above is able to sign out of the club at anytime (hence the band of ice cream carrying adolescents). When you come on here and ask a question in such a verbose manner with huge red shouty capitals, you invite snarky replies. People on this forum are very helpful, but you will get what you give, regardless of coming back with individual replies filled with 50cent words. Try calming it down a notch. While I applaud your research efforts, you are inviting trolling with your opening comments. Good Luck on your cruise. :)

Thank you very much for posting an actually useful response (seriously).

Now that I know that both CCL and NCL have this, as well as most major lines, I can at least know that these items (specific to the video games) cancel each other out on a comparison matrix, and is something I will have to contend with on any cruise line, just like chair hogs or long lines at tenders. I can handle working within a subset of defined parameters - it's the unknown that annoys the hell out of me.

As to the broader question of the kids clubs in general, I had already gotten the idea that NCL's seemed to be superior, your post is just further confirmation of that.

So, thank you again for answering my question.

Oh - I just read your Liberty review - we are on Liberty in November. Loved your review - especially like how you handle the CC grumps and the "dude, its 2012" comment was awesome. ;)

I definitely recommend NCL for its kids club, and dining too. You're more a "foodie" than I am, though I thought your observations of Carnival's offerings were about par with mine.

If you haven't tried NCL, the dining choices are great... We sailed the Dawn 9 day Southern Caribbean itinerary. Good luck on picking your next cruise!

-Tiffany

Playing video games is a form of gluttony? Wow, why do you hate video games so much? Your post is offensive to fans of video games. And yes, I am an adult. By the way, after playing video games for a long time, a person's eyes and fingers can feel tired, and as with any activity, you feel bored after a while and decide to do something else. Even as a kid I knew when it was time to turn off the video games. My parents didn't time my video game play and somehow I turned out to be a straight A student involved with lots of activities and friends. You know, video games aren't all bad. Besides being fun and relaxing, they promote problem solving and perseverance.

Playing video games is a form of gluttony?

No, but you're not the first respondent in this thread to have a problem with my big words so here, let me help you out:

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gluttony)

Gluttony (n):

1. Excess in eating or drinking

2. Greedy or excessive indulgence

So, I would be using that in the context of definition "2". Video games are, obviously, not inherently a form of gluttony, but excessive use of them is.

Your post is offensive to fans of video games.

I can live with that.

And yes, I am an adult.

Awesome!

My parents didn't time my video game play and somehow I turned out to be a straight A student involved with lots of activities and friends.

I'm sure mom and dad are very proud.

Oh - I just read your Liberty review - we are on Liberty in November.

-Tiffany

Have a great time on the Liberty. She's a beautiful ship, with a top-notch crew. Definitely on the short list for my next booking as well.

Haven't cruised Carnival but just wanted to say that in my experience with kids clubs especially our last couple cruises (ds was in the older kid room) was even though they have video games the kids can't play them all the time. Usually the kids can use them between activities, kind of like the board games as a filler before the next activity starts. They do however have activities like: guitar hero or wii bowling competitions which will be listed in the daily paper.

I almost want to say when we were on Princess they didn't have video games at all in the room. I know there was no arcade which was surprising we usually give them $20 to spend there. Don't know if it's all the ships or just the Caribbean Princess which we were on.

Archived