We don't do formal - advice please

Oakville Princess

Yes, no problem, it's the formal areas of the ship like the champagne bar etc.

I'm sorry, but this is the kind of attitude that is creeping on now and totally dissipates the Cunard experience for the rest of us. The dress code is in the brochure, on the internet, on the forums - why would somebody who "doesn't do formal" book on Cunard?? And then for someone who is a seasoned Cunard traveller to tell them it's OK???

As for a clothes snob - that I am not! What I am is someone who appreciates the elegance of Cunard and who follows the dress code accordingly - as it is published by Cunard!

Thank you!

Here - here!! :rolleyes: I'll warrant that the great majority of them would not have the temerity OR intestinal fortitude to say anything aloud to a fellow passenger about their dress. God help them if they did dare! :p

Barry

Sorry, Barry I will/have admonished folks about the dresscodes. That guy in the wifebeater shirt & shorts(look for the post)during formal night is unacceptable. If the maitre D is too cowardly to say something, then I will. I'm not talking about a shirt & slacks on Formal night, I'm talking about a real slob,here.If you feel that type of dress is acceptable during formal night, then perhaps YOU should look for another cruiseline! Reasonably following Cunard's dresscodes is what helps keep it unique among lines. We don't need a Neville Chamberlain to spout "peace in our time". This one should ruffle a few feathers!

My advice is to take a different cruise. I have not taken your particular cruise, but on the cruise I was on (QV, Hawaii) the buffet was like a ghost town. The food was buffet food, but we were finished in half an hour and would have liked to have others to talk to.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I don't do formal, either. Here's how I handled it: I had dinner in the buffet part of Kings Court every night. The buffet has perfectly adequate food, cheerful staffers, and lots of seating. You'll have plenty of company, and they won't be dressed formally. This is an option Cunard makes available to every.single.guest who wishes to take advantage of this.

As to the remainder of the night, I didn't find it a particular burden to slap on a lace tunic and velvet trousers if I felt like wandering the ship. I did this the first few nights until I decided that most of the evening entertainment...wasn't..., and I was happier watching a movie in the cabin in my jammies.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I don't do formal, either. Here's how I handled it: I had dinner in the buffet part of Kings Court every night. The buffet has perfectly adequate food, cheerful staffers, and lots of seating. You'll have plenty of company, and they won't be dressed formally. This is an option Cunard makes available to every.single.guest who wishes to take advantage of this. As to the remainder of the night, I didn't find it a particular burden to slap on a lace tunic and velvet trousers if I felt like wandering the ship. I did this the first few nights until I decided that most of the evening entertainment...wasn't..., and I was happier watching a movie in the cabin in my jammies.

Excellent post, well said :) . Thank you.

Why is it that when a poster says they don't do formal the assumption is they will walk around the ship after 6 pm in wife beaters, shorts and flipflops?

There are so many degrees of dress and most people going on a cruise know they have to scrub up and look nice for the evening.

Unless the offenders are at your table it should not really bother you.

I am not condoning undress BUT I have seen some men in tuxedos that were bought at least 25 lbs less ago and so old and tatty, where do they fit in?

Why is it that when a poster says they don't do formal the assumption is they will walk around the ship after 6 pm in wife beaters, shorts and flipflops?

I've wondered about this as well. We participate in formal nights, but I do think there are many very experienced cruisers who no longer want to do formal nights but still dress very respectably.

We simply didn't feel like doing formal on a formal night, Instead, we went to Kings Court and had a relaxing, no pressure evening. I think the un official rule is casual is ok -if you stay off decks 2 and 3 after 6 pm. Commodore club is probably off limits for super casual after 6 pm

Cunard is not the right Line for you. You have options.. check out the Cruise Critic reviews and find the right cruise that fits your needs.

Or, they could simply find no-fuss ways to comply with the dress code, given that they are likely past final payment. They may find they like Cunard and that complying with the dress code isn't so hard after all. Give them a chance.

We simply didn't feel like doing formal on a formal night, Instead, we went to Kings Court and had a relaxing, no pressure evening. I think the un official rule is casual is ok -if you stay off decks 2 and 3 after 6 pm. Commodore club is probably off limits for super casual after 6 pm

I have only seen people stopped at the Britannia and only for stupid things like no jacket on elegant casual nights when it makes no difference. On the formal nights any male with a jacket, tunic, or similar covering and a tie (regular, bow, string, even saw a fellow with a giant gold medallion) will pass muster. Saw a fellow squeezed into a bright tomato red uniform of some sort as well. As well as all the kilts.

But on the QV it was strictly tuxes, dinner jackers, and those weird vertical striped sports jackets on casual night. I felt like some sort of freak because I had a black tie instead of a bow tie.

Also one word of warning, brightly colored waistecoats may expose you to being mistook for a wine steward or barman.

There are so many degrees of dress and most people going on a cruise know they have to scrub up and look nice for the evening.

Unless the offenders are at your table it should not really bother you.

I am not condoning undress BUT I have seen some men in tuxedos that were bought at least 25 lbs less ago and so old and tatty, where do they fit in?

I do feel you should attempt to follow the dresscode. If not the pax should at least wear a decent shirt(dress/polo type)and decent slacks(nicely pressed khakis or the like)anything less than that really is unacceptable on Cunard. Shorts & tattered jeans(I've seen both)are ok during the day but not at night. If I want to see that style, then I'll go to Carnival

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I don't do formal, either. Here's how I handled it: I had dinner in the buffet part of Kings Court every night. The buffet has perfectly adequate food, cheerful staffers, and lots of seating. You'll have plenty of company, and they won't be dressed formally. This is an option Cunard makes available to every.single.guest who wishes to take advantage of this.

As to the remainder of the night, I didn't find it a particular burden to slap on a lace tunic and velvet trousers if I felt like wandering the ship. I did this the first few nights until I decided that most of the evening entertainment...wasn't..., and I was happier watching a movie in the cabin in my jammies.

Excellent advice.... if you don't mind the plagiarism I will post it every time someone takes the risk of asking a formal wear question.

...Saw a fellow squeezed into a bright tomato red uniform of some sort as well. ...

Was the entire uniform "bright tomato red" or only the jacket? If the latter then it is likely that what you saw was a serving, or former, member of an army regiment wearing his mess kit - something of which he would have been inordinately proud and something that should be welcomed and celebrated on any formal night, in any location, and in any company.

...But on the QV it was strictly tuxes, dinner jackers, and those weird vertical striped sports jackets on casual night. I felt like some sort of freak because I had a black tie instead of a bow tie.

The term "black tie" when used to define a form of dress, refers to a black bow tie. A regular black tie should only be worn at funerals.

J

...I am not condoning undress BUT I have seen some men in tuxedos that were bought at least 25 lbs less ago and so old and tatty, where do they fit in?

They ought to fit in perfectly. They are, after all, merely reflecting the traditional "look" of the English upper classes - dinner jacket handed down from father to son over five generations, and bearing traces of every meal ever eaten by the wearer. Perfection.

:D

J

We are going on our first cruise on the QE on 28th Aug to the Med. Quite frankly, I was quietly thrilled (and challenged - being a cuddly size 24 - 26 brings its own problems...) to have an excuse to buy a posh frock or two to wear for the formal nights, normally going around dressed like a sack of spuds tied in the middle. My daughters (16 & 27) will have the chance to wear the beloved prom dress & Uni graduation dress again and hubbie will be digging out his Tux and 'frilly' shirt from the back of the wardrobe. He has started the fruit and veg diet in anticipation. I may be wearing one dress 3 times with different accessories but who will be watching? We'll do the best we can and enjoy all that is on offer. It's a HOLIDAY not an internment camp. Keel hauling is banned now - isn't it?

We are in our early 30s and there's no way we wouldn't dress up on formal nights. It is part of the voyage, it is what Cunard is about! (although 6 is early for us who always chose 2nd seating)

We are in our early 30s and there's no way we wouldn't dress up on formal nights. It is part of the voyage, it is what Cunard is about! (although 6 is early for us who always chose 2nd seating)

Hi Matdard,

We had been on two Cunard’s world cruises and will be on the QM next years for 120 days. We always eat the first seating. The second seating has more European who dresses more formally.

On QE this year WC, a man wore jean with a difference jacket on formal nights. One couple wore bathrobe everywhere day after day. One day we were in the lift with them I asked” did you lose your luggage?” they did not say anything. I was disappointed that the staff let the people in the Lido with the bathrobe; it was disgusting.

Marie

BTW, I am from Lyon.

Archived