Portside or Starboard

We are currently booking on Voyager 3 segments from Istanbul Oct. 31- Bali Dec19 and wonder if anyone has a preference for either side of ship given this is basically an anti clockwise cruise.

Your question is quite difficult to answer. Regardless of which side of the ship you choose, in one port your views may be fabulous and on the next you will be looking out at a container port (not very pleasant). We enjoy looking out at the sea rather than the typically unattractive port. So, it may sound strange that we prefer "port" suites. The first time we were in Istanbul our "port" suite looked out at the sea with views of the Blue Mosque. The "starboard" side look out at an ugly port. Go figure:confused:

We now care more about which side of the ship the sun sets on as suites can get quite hot with the setting sun shining on your suite. The only way to get a reasonable idea of where your ship will dock is to do research and view the docking (or anchoring) area. Google will allow you to look at the port and give you a good idea of where your Regent ship will be.

Wish the answer were easier -- it just is a crap shoot (IMHO)

We are currently booking on Voyager 3 segments from Istanbul Oct. 31- Bali Dec19 and wonder if anyone has a preference for either side of ship given this is basically an anti clockwise cruise.
:) You will be making a North to South passage through the Suez Canal.....The Egyptian side of the Canal is by far the most scenic and therefore I would strongly suggest you ask for Starboard side accommodations.

I used to put a lot of energy into trying to decide whether to book port or starboard. But after being on a ship right next to a bunch of stinky tuna boats or next to the industrial side of a container port, I decided it didn't matter much. Pick a suite in the section of the ship that you want. There will probably be good and bad on each side.

This is one of the frequent questions.

:) You will be making a North to South passage through the Suez Canal.....The Egyptian side of the Canal is by far the most scenic and therefore I would strongly suggest you ask for Starboard side accommodations.

MOST sailing is frequently almost out of sight of land, in which case it does not make much difference. Instances, as mentioned above, are the exception. You must think about these cases.

I used to put a lot of energy into trying to decide whether to book port or starboard. But after being on a ship right next to a bunch of stinky tuna boats or next to the industrial side of a container port, I decided it didn't matter much. Pick a suite in the section of the ship that you want. There will probably be good and bad on each side.

At dock, it seems to be "luck of the draw". Tides, wind, and what might be also docked affect whether the skipper decides to sail straight in or whether he backs in. I've never kept statistics, but skippers may also alternate when they can to give each side dockside/seaside views. You simply make your best guess.

I found it's somewhat meaningless to worry about this.

I agree that the Egyptian side of the Suez Canal is the side to watch. However, I cannot imagine sitting on the balcony for hours watching it. Up on deck (or in the Observation Lounge), you can get a wonderful view of both sides. So, for me, this would not be a deciding factor. Even in Egypt where we had an incredible port-side view when docked in Istanbul 3 years ago was different this year. We docked further away -- was in a port suite but couldn't see much of anything (neither could starboard).

Yes, the egyptian side of the canal has more to see but you will probably be on an open deck or observation lounge for the more interesting part of the transit. As that is only one day, I would still go back to your history book and remember that "POSH" is an acronym for Port Outbound Starboard Home. The trip from England to India used to be a bit harsher than the Seven Seas Voyager. The preference for port on the outbound trip to India was to be on the shady side of the ship. Even with AC in the suites, I think you might prefer the port side as it will be a bit shadier and cooler on your balcony.

Marc

I agree that posh is the solution for a trip that doesn't have an orientation. We, however, are going SYD-HK all except one brief segment N-S. We, therefore, signed up for the port side since not all will be out of sight of land. We believe the side is itinerary specific. As an example on our SS Valpo-BA around the Cape we also chose port and are thrilled we did. Many sights would have been missing from starboard.

Archived