CPAP Machine

I'm new to RCI & will be on both the Majesty & the Jewel in the next few months. On Celebrity, they have supplied distilled water & extension cords for my cpap machine, does RCI do the same? And should I ask in advance ? ( On Celebrity, I always asked in advance, but still had to ask the cabin steward.)

I do travel will extra cords just in case.

They have them. Just ask your steward. BTW, I'm not sure I would trust the water is actually distilled, so if it's important to you you should bring a small bottle with you. (A week is unlikely to make any difference, but that's just me)

My husband uses a cpap. I emailed the special needs Dept about a month before our cruise asking about bringing distilled water onboard EOS & whether there was an outlet near the bed. They emailed back that an extension cord & a gallon of distilled water would be in our cabin. They were there when we boarded. I don't have the email address handy but if you search special needs you s/b able to find if.

Also, be forewarned that there will be an oxygen is use sign on your door. I took it off & no one said anything.

They have them. Just ask your steward. BTW, I'm not sure I would trust the water is actually distilled, so if it's important to you you should bring a small bottle with you. (A week is unlikely to make any difference, but that's just me)

We have been on cruises at lot longer than 7 days on both RCI and Celebrity ships where they have supplied the distilled water. It comes in a full, sealed jug, clearly labeled as distilled water. We have never had a problem with DH's Bi-pap machine from using this water.

When it comes to a medical need, I just can't believe that RCI would take the risk of substituting something else for distilled water. Forgive me for thinking your statement is a bit silly.

We have been on cruises at lot longer than 7 days on both RCI and Celebrity ships where they have supplied the distilled water. It comes in a full, sealed jug, clearly labeled as distilled water. We have never had a problem with DH's Bi-pap machine from using this water.

When it comes to a medical need, I just can't believe that RCI would take the risk of substituting something else for distilled water. Forgive me for thinking your statement is a bit silly.

FWIW, my SiL uses a CPAP and on our last cruise they brought her a open, half used bottle of distilled water. It was probably fine, but, who knows since the bottle was open. OTOH, I'm probably just being silly by giving it a second thought...

I'm new to RCI & will be on both the Majesty & the Jewel in the next few months. On Celebrity, they have supplied distilled water & extension cords for my cpap machine, does RCI do the same? And should I ask in advance ? ( On Celebrity, I always asked in advance, but still had to ask the cabin steward.)

I do travel will extra cords just in case.

Yes a travel companion of mine always requests and receives it when we cruise RCI

Would the desalination process that the water on the ship goes thought not produce distilled water? I also use a CPAP and was planning on using the water from the bathroom sink. Maybe I should email the special needs department instead.

I use a CPAP. My TA orders the water and cord for me. One time it was not in the cabin, but I told the cabin attendant and it was there when I returned from dinner. I do bring my own small bottle of water and my own extension cord too, mostly to use when I stay in the hotel the night before the cruise. I have never had my extension cord confiscated, though I've read others have had theirs removed and returned the last night. Note that Carnival charges for the water -- $3 I think. RCI still does not charge extra.

Rdaniel is correct.

The tap water on the RCI ships is distilled water.

I always bring my own extension cord and just use the water out of the tap, which is distilled onboard from seawater.

RCI does an outstanding job providing a gallon jug of distilled water and an extension cord. Both at no charge. Carnival charged $4.95 for the distilled water. I'm sure the ships water supply is ultra refined but does not fit the description of distilled water. Also They did not put an O2 sign on our stateroom door.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

JD

RCI does an outstanding job providing a gallon jug of distilled water and an extension cord. Both at no charge. Carnival charged $4.95 for the distilled water. I'm sure the ships water supply is ultra refined but does not fit the description of distilled water. Also They did not put an O2 sign on our stateroom door.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

JD

Why would they? I thought CPAP uses room air and that's not the same thing as pure oxygen which is a combustible gas. Unless someone brings their own oxygen supply, putting an O2 sign on the door is misleading. Please explain if there's something I'm not understanding.

The tap water on the RCI ships is distilled water.

More precisely, the ship's water is mostly distilled.... When the ship docks at ports with potable water they will hook up a hose and fill up the tanks... You will see the blue hoses running from the dock into the ship.

I've been told that it's cheaper to buy city water than to distill it.

Aloha,

John

John

I use cpap and on my last cruise on Seranade of the Sea in Jan 2012 they brought me a new sealed gallon of distilled water but told me I had to go to guest services for the extension cord. Got a cord from guest services with a $15.00 deposit was told I could return the cord at the end of the week and get a return of the 15.00...I kept the cord as the line was long so I got a new 10' cord for $15.00....true story!!!!

On Celebrity and RCL I always sent an email to special_needs@rccl.com

re: distilled water and extension cord. I carry my own ext. cord for the hotel but in talking with ship personnel it's best to use their extension cord should there be an electrical problem of any sort and you had your own cord. I feel let them worry about their own equipment. Upon arrival to the cabin they never had ext. cord or dist. water there I always asked the cabin steward and usually before dinner it was delivered. I do understand the tap water on ship s also good to use in a CPAP chamber. If they delivered a bottle that had been opened I would refuse it, who knows where it's been, who used it before and with the crazies out there today who knows if anything could have been added?

Have had no problem here in the states or many trips in Europe. They have always been very helpful. Sometimes they had plugged the ext. cord in and taped it to the floor depending on how the cabin and electrical outlet by the mirror is located.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

JD

I once posted that I thought it was nervy or Carnival to charge for a medical necessity and got lambasted for it, but I still feel that a jug of water that no one can possibly want to drink and is solely used for medical purposes should not be a profit center.

More precisely, the ship's water is mostly distilled.... When the ship docks at ports with potable water they will hook up a hose and fill up the tanks... You will see the blue hoses running from the dock into the ship.

I've been told that it's cheaper to buy city water than to distill it.

Aloha,

John

John

Yep, always cheaper and less wear and tear on the distillation equipment.

Archived