CCL new TA Guidelines- Hopefully RCI will not follow

From my TA

"Carnival has just announced that effective 8/1/12, they will not allow travel agents to give ANY cash equivalent value-adds (i.e shipboard credit, pre-paid gratuities, gas cards, airline miles, reduced airfare; free or discounted travel insurance, hotel nights, or shore excursions) and will be limiting any booking incentives to a $ 25 pp non-cash equivalent item (like a tote bag, hat, beach towel, memory book, sunglasses and Carnival gifts delivered onboard (Bon Voyage items)). This new policy applies not only to advertising, but all forms of communication, including in-person, phone or any other means. If any travel agent is caught violating the policy, (whether big, small or even a home based agent belonging to a host agency) their commission can be eliminated and they can be put on a "no book" status. "

RCI turned the screws years ago when they stopped allowing TAs to discount cruises. Those discounts were usually far more valuable than the "perks" that are offered these days. Back when RCI did that Carnival's only restriction was that TAs could not advertise discounted prices. But you could still get them when you called.

RCI turned the screws years ago when they stopped allowing TAs to discount cruises. Those discounts were usually far more valuable than the "perks" that are offered these days. Back when RCI did that Carnival's only restriction was that TAs could not advertise discounted prices. But you could still get them when you called.

In 2000, we took a western Med cruise out of Barcelona. Our TA did not discount our cruise at all. In fact, all she gave us was a picture frame. I wouldn't have cared, but I found out how much less our table mates paid for their cruise (from United States also) and I was really mad about it, especially since my parents had been using her for a long time for their cruises. She lost a good customer because of it.

Archived