First time cruisers; maybe bringing kids

kren250

Hi guys! I'm in the midst of planning my first ever cruise. We aren't going until spring/summer 2014, and it will for sure be myself, my Mom, my brother and his wife. My husband and our three kids (11,11,10 when we sail) might also come--if I can swing the cost!!! Was quite surprised when I just did a price quote on Carnival; adding the kids to the trip made the costs increase signifigantly;).

Anyway, I have a few questions about cruising with kids:

1) Is there a lower rate for kids, or do they pay adult fare?

2) Better to get two rooms, or a family suite--which option is cheaper?

3) I see Carnival has some type of kids club, is there in extra fee for that, or is it included in the cruise cost?

Thanks for any and all replies; I'm really overwhelmed planning this trip. Just so much information out there.

Usually, it's the same fare for any person, whether child or adult. You'll have to price the cabin options to see which is less.....I'd rather have 2 cabins (connecting, if possible) than one suite...just more privacy in 2 cabins!

The kid's club has no fee...and kids love it!

Go to Carnival's website and order a cruise brochure...lots of info in there, as well as the deck plans...no charge!

Hi guys! I'm in the midst of planning my first ever cruise. We aren't going until spring/summer 2014, and it will for sure be myself, my Mom, my brother and his wife. My husband and our three kids (11,11,10 when we sail) might also come--if I can swing the cost!!! Was quite surprised when I just did a price quote on Carnival; adding the kids to the trip made the costs increase signifigantly;).

1) Is there a lower rate for kids, or do they pay adult fare?

2) Better to get two rooms, or a family suite--which option is cheaper?

3) I see Carnival has some type of kids club, is there in extra fee for that, or is it included in the cruise cost?

Thanks for any and all replies; I'm really overwhelmed planning this trip. Just so much information out there.

Best bet for items one and two is to cost is out. One thing to consider is to get two rooms with one being an inside cabin for the kids and the other being across the way with an outside for you. When you sign up you would have to list your husband in one cabin and you in the other with some kids in one and the other one in the other but once on the ship you can switch the assignments. If you don't feel the kids are older or mature enough to have their own room then look at adjoining cabins as well as a family suites.

THe kids club is included in the price of the cruise.

Keith

1) Is there a lower rate for kids, or do they pay adult fare? Persons one and two pay full fare regardless of age. persons three and up in the same cabin will pay a reduced rate. SOME cruise lines and itineraries will offer specials like kids sail free when Mom and dad pay full price, or will offer a greatly reduced 3rd and 4th person rate. Infants 6 mos to 2 years can sometimes get away with only having to pay port charges.

2) Better to get two rooms, or a family suite--which option is cheaper? depending on ship, itinerary and time.. either or. many prefer the 2 room option just to have the extra bathroom. and privacy..there are connecting rooms as well( interior door) that you can sometimes snag.

3) I see Carnival has some type of kids club, is there in extra fee for that, or is it included in the cruise cost? pretty much all mainstream lines have a club. it is included in the dare and there will be many activates for them to participate in. the only thing that costs extar is the nursery.

you really need to sit down and decide what your priorities are from top to bottom for the cruise.. is it destination? the ship itself? where you wanna leave from? budget. then inhale as much info as CC has to offer. or even find a good TA

When you are considering cabins, it depends on the ship. Many ships do not have cabins that will sleep five. On Carnival, The Fantasy class ships and others launched in 2000 and before (Destiny {she will b Sunshine by then}, Triumph, and Victory) allow you to add a fifth person to a quad cabin. Very crowded, but the kids will love the upper bunks. The Dream class have family ocean view cabins for five, with a split bathroom: shower and toilet in one, junior tub and sink in another. EM

You are not going to spend a lot of time in the room.The ship has so much to do almost 20 hours a day...

not necessarily.. if there are young kids who need a nap, then they will DEFINITELY want to factor that in.. maybe a balcony so mum and dad can relax out there. now granted the 10 YO won't need to nap.. but at the same time if they put the kids to bed early, and are not comfortable leaving them alone, they will need to hang out someplace comfy.

I think Keith stated earlier to cost out the various cabin configurations to see what works best for your group. This far in advance there should still be connecting cabins available.

Carnival used to price the third and fourth passenger in a cabin at a lower rate but their web site now gives the same rate per person for all in the same cabin, its just averaged. Some of the ships have trundle beds that can make a quad into a five guest cabin. Sure it will be cozy when all five are in the cabin at the same time but if your kids enjoy the youth program and participate daily there may be few times that all five are in cabin together.

The youth program is mostly no charge but if you use the after hours sitting or sign your kids up for a special late night kid party there will be additional charges.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Archived