Reentering the US and Customs Inspection..

M5M

Sorry, but I can't find a good place to post this question, so I'm putting it here......we're coming back from Belgium to US from an August cruise and are ready to book airfare. Trying to decide on the exact return flights to choose based on connections between flights. We will fly Brussels to probably Newark, on to Houston, then on to our small home town. Where will we undergo customs? Newark or Houston? That will be the airport where we want to have the most time for connection. Thanks for the help!

Newark.

As stated, Customs and Immigration will be at the first place you touch U.S. soil.

Allow adequate time between your connections.

You must claim your luggage, process through Immigration and Customs and then recheck your bags.

Sorry, but I can't find a good place to post this question, so I'm putting it here......we're coming back from Belgium to US from an August cruise and are ready to book airfare. Trying to decide on the exact return flights to choose based on connections between flights. We will fly Brussels to probably Newark, on to Houston, then on to our small home town. Where will we undergo customs? Newark or Houston? That will be the airport where we want to have the most time for connection. Thanks for the help!

you should ask this on the cruise air forum. while you usually do this upon arrival in the US, that is not always the case. for example, when i was coming back from china via canada, i did this in toronto.

there are several 'million mile-ers' that regularly post on the cruise air forum. they may even be able to help with the best routings.

you should ask this on the cruise air forum. while you usually do this upon arrival in the US, that is not always the case. for example, when i was coming back from china via canada, i did this in toronto.

Toronto is one of the Canadian airports that does US pre-clearance. I don't know about Brussels but I do know that Budapest and Frankfurt don't do this. My guess would be that Brussels most likely doesn't either.

Ahh, thanks to you all.....I will check Cruise Air, didn't think of that section last night when posting, but that is a good idea. The good news is maybe my airfare is dropping as of this AM. Time to get busy!

No need to check elsewhere for a simple question such as this. It's only a couple of Canadian airports that have the US Customs presence (Vancouver is another). But even for those, it's your first stop in north america that will do customs checks.

No need to check elsewhere for a simple question such as this. It's only a couple of Canadian airports that have the US Customs presence (Vancouver is another). But even for those, it's your first stop in north america that will do customs checks.

WRONG. there are others. i am not going to list them - but some flights from europe to the US clear customs and immigration also at the point of origin also. i always ask the experts on the cruise air board.

WRONG. there are others. i am not going to list them - but some flights from europe to the US clear customs and immigration also at the point of origin also. i always ask the experts on the cruise air board.

I've flown back to the US from London, Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels, Frankfort, Munich, Berlin, Madrid, Rome, Florence, Amsterdam and Athens in the past few years - at none of these airports is there a US Customs check. So, please, do post your list!

I've flown back to the US from London, Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels, Frankfort, Munich, Berlin, Madrid, Rome, Florence, Amsterdam and Athens in the past few years - at none of these airports is there a US Customs check. So, please, do post your list!

things change rapidly. posting data based on experiences several years old is irresponsible at best.

things change rapidly. posting data based on experiences several years old is irresponsible at best.

Could you be any more rude if you really tried?

All of this experience is within the past 2 years.

I asked, politely I thought, for this supposed "list" you have of European pre-clearance airports. If you can't produce it, should we assume it doesn't exist?

The list as provided by Customs and Border Protection is here

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/preclear_locations.xml

Most of the locations are in Canada, several in the Caribbean, and Ireland

Rich

Thank you, Rich. This confirms what I and the others all said - there is no pre-clearance in mainland Europe.

Thank you, Rich. This confirms what I and the others all said - there is no pre-clearance in mainland Europe.

but there are several where the OP may have connections through. we just don't know enough about the OP's flights. they could be on a connecting flight through ireland, for instance. that was pretty much the essence of the OP's question - they were trying to figure out the connections and time between. asking that on the cruise air board will get them up-to-date information and even suggestions for the best routings (and sometimes pricing). the very experienced posters over there don't just throw out generalizations willy-nilly.

but there are several where the OP may have connections through. we just don't know enough about the OP's flights. they could be on a connecting flight through ireland, for instance.

????

What part of "We will fly Brussels to probably Newark, on to Houston, then on to our small home town." suggests they might change plans at Shannon???

While not Europe, Bermuda always did Customs/Immigration pre-check. Do they still?

Every time we flew home from Montreal, we had Customs pre-check in Montreal but we never had it in any European airport.

Yes it does Tampa Girl, unless there is some kind of Customs special enforcement action at the first U. S. port. The plane itself, however must report and clear Customs at the first U. S. Port where the plane is officially entered and the cargo is manifested.

While not Europe, Bermuda always did Customs/Immigration pre-check. Do they still?

Every time we flew home from Montreal, we had Customs pre-check in Montreal but we never had it in any European airport.

Bermuda is on the list mentioned above from CBP last updated 3/8/12

After my recent relocation cruise from FLL to Montreal I stayed in Ottawa for a few days. I flew out of Ottawa and did the preclearance. Easy proceedure and only check I had to go thru

Rich

EWR or Newark will be your customs and immigration. Allow 2 hours for this.

After customs you will still be in the secure area and not need to go through security again.

When finished with customs, there will be a desk for your air line and you re check the bag... super simple,. The put it on the belt and you, still in the secure area, walk to the gate or waiting area for your next flight.\Your bag will arrive and be checked through to your final destination

Vancouver was the only exception... it was a nightmare where after customs and immigration, you has to exit and re check in as though you had never flown ! Then go through security, then US customs. Actual connection time in Vancouber was 4 hours to do all this

EWR or Newark will be your customs and immigration. Allow 2 hours for this.

After customs you will still be in the secure area and not need to go through security again.

When finished with customs, there will be a desk for your air line and you re check the bag... super simple,. The put it on the belt and you, still in the secure area, walk to the gate or waiting area for your next flight.\Your bag will arrive and be checked through to your final destination

Vancouver was the only exception... it was a nightmare where after customs and immigration, you has to exit and re check in as though you had never flown ! Then go through security, then US customs. Actual connection time in Vancouber was 4 hours to do all this

Thanks for the heads up.

Vancouver just went on my never fly into or out of or deal with airport list.

Seattle is just about on that list now. ;(

Other than the fact I really love that city, I am not particularly fond of their airport experience. We found it a less than fun experience both coming and leaving.

To the OP, I'd advise allowing at least 2 hours for your connection at Newark. You'll have to clear customs & immigration; you may have a terminal change; and from our experience & knowledge you'll have to go through security again, though depending on the terminal you may have a dedicated security area for international connections. (there is a compelling reason for security procedures after customs, as passengers would have had access to their luggage and thus any items that would have been permitted in checked luggage but not in a carry-on (e.g. knives, liquids, etc))

Archived