Luggage/Packing Recommendations?

tall-lady

My husband and I are doing our first cruise in less than a month and I'm starting to compile the pile of things that I'll think we'll need with us (and yes, many of the items come from suggestions of posts here!). But I find I'm still wondering about a couple different things.

1) For two people, how many suitcases should I pack? How many carry ons and any other particular types of recommendations for luggage?

2) We're booked in a balcony room on the Baja deck. What kind of clothes storage is there? I see a closet (extra metal hangers already set aside) and I've seen the recommendation for empty suitcases going under the bed, but are there any other drawers or areas to arrange clothes?

3) I've been planning on packing a small suitcase of soda/water/various amenities, but I've seen a lot of people saying just to slap a luggage tag on a case of water and soda and they'll go to the room with the rest of it all. But does luggage get taken from you at the curb, or will we have to haul it from the taxi all the way to somewhere else? If we do pack something with it, is there a cooler (collapsible or otherwise) that anyone has had particular luck with being easy to lug along?

4) We're trying to pare down on crazy things but for easy organization, here's the list of ideas I've picked up: metal hangers, over the door shoe organizer, extra pillowcases for dirty laundry, large ziplock bags, a small alarm clock and a handful of things like paperclips, post its, and the like.

Any other suggestions for this slightly nervous, very excited lady? I know I tend to overthink things, so I tend to make a list and then cut out at least a third...

Thanks!

There's a forum for first time cruisers

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

And a thread for the ultimate packing list

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=986205

You do not mention where you are going, for how long, flying or driving...

I NOW have cruised a bunch HAVE NEVER brought hangers...you can always ask for more..

Never an alarm clock either- we have phones for that OR wake up service...or order room service as a back up get the heck out of bed reminder!

Never brought walki talkies, even when we were a group of 6 last year...

BUT I do not travel without my favorite cough drops...SILLY I know...

I brought a case of water and slapped a luggage tag on it (they will not take it curbside without it) when we were a party of 6 for our 4 excursion days...

You can bring wine onboard, but not beer...or hard liquor...

The old adage take half of what you packed and twice as much money is a good adage...

Those packing lists you will see will make you feel as if you will be cut off from the entire world for a year...hahahaha

I read a woman's list who had like 12 different things listed for formal night...me- a dress, shoes, and a bag...

So take all the lists and decide what you really feel you NEED or WANT...

I am currently packing and "throwing stuff off the boat" (out of my luggage) as I decide it is not really necessary due to airline restrictions..

.(A HUGE Challenge for me as I had always driven to port before)

ENJOY your first cruise!

Bernadette

I should know better than to omit that info! We'll be going on an Alaska cruise on the Star Princess for 7 days, sailing out of Seattle. So I suppose I'm looking for the info for baggage loading for that port in particular :)

My husband and I are doing our first cruise in less than a month and I'm starting to compile the pile of things that I'll think we'll need with us (and yes, many of the items come from suggestions of posts here!). But I find I'm still wondering about a couple different things.

1) For two people, how many suitcases should I pack? How many carry ons and any other particular types of recommendations for luggage?

2) We're booked in a balcony room on the Baja deck. What kind of clothes storage is there? I see a closet (extra metal hangers already set aside) and I've seen the recommendation for empty suitcases going under the bed, but are there any other drawers or areas to arrange clothes?

3) I've been planning on packing a small suitcase of soda/water/various amenities, but I've seen a lot of people saying just to slap a luggage tag on a case of water and soda and they'll go to the room with the rest of it all. But does luggage get taken from you at the curb, or will we have to haul it from the taxi all the way to somewhere else? If we do pack something with it, is there a cooler (collapsible or otherwise) that anyone has had particular luck with being easy to lug along?

4) We're trying to pare down on crazy things but for easy organization, here's the list of ideas I've picked up: metal hangers, over the door shoe organizer, extra pillowcases for dirty laundry, large ziplock bags, a small alarm clock and a handful of things like paperclips, post its, and the like.

Any other suggestions for this slightly nervous, very excited lady? I know I tend to overthink things, so I tend to make a list and then cut out at least a third...

Thanks!

It would help if we knew where you are going! In general, there is plenty of storage in the cabin and you don't need to bring hangers, just ask the cabin steward. I also don't need the door organizer and I bring a plastic bag for laundry. We take one suitcase and one small carryon each and have learned to pack light. Oh, now I see you are going to Alaska, make sure you take a rain jacket and layers, less dressy/summery clothing.

I believe in travelling light. If we are going for a week or more we have a suitcase each. For a mini cruise (4 nights) then one suitcase between the two of us.

In the suitcase are our clothes, toiletries, a couple of books and an MP3 player. That's it. Mobile phones in hand luggage along with money, tickets and passport.

No point in taking items you may or may not need. Most certainly have never entertained coat hangers, post it, paper clips etc. It's a holiday so don't make more work for yourself by taking too much. You've only got to unpack it all again when you back back home.

I should know better than to omit that info! We'll be going on an Alaska cruise on the Star Princess for 7 days, sailing out of Seattle. So I suppose I'm looking for the info for baggage loading for that port in particular :)

Have you not logged in to your "Roll Call" message board?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=309

Forget the hangers!!! There's always a good supply of hangers in the closet waiting for you, and if you need more, just ask your steward. They always seem to be able to scare up however many you need. Most of Princess' hangers are wooden, and some of them have clips for hanging pants.

I bring along a few pinch type clothes pins for hanging wet swimwear, or in case I need to hand wash a few items, on the clothesline in the shower stall.

Instead of using a pillowcase from home for soiled clothing, I use a collapsible mesh hamper that I bought at Walgreens several years ago for cruising. It has a metal frame and folds completely flat for slipping in an outside pocket of my luggage. The mesh is a better choice because it is free standing (I put it in a corner of the closet) and the mesh allows air to circulate through it (avoids those stale sweat or musty odors when clothes remain damp).

I also always travel with a few battery operated tealight "candles" to use as nightlights in the cabin, and especially in the bathroom. I hate to have to turn on the bright bathroom light if I have to get up in the middle of the night.

Love the Star Princess!! ..... have cruised on her twice.

Take as little as possible. It is a pain to drag luggage around.

We take two carry-ons (one each) and one extra suitcase and are in the process of exchanging the extra suitcase for a hanging bag for DH's tux so we don't have to check anything.

Acquire very lightweight, slinky, things that don't take up much room, i.e. a pair of Vanity Fair nylon pajamas that can be hand washed in your sink and dry almost instantly, or Chicos Travelers pants and tops. I take two pair of Chicos black Travelers pants, two Chicos Contemporary tanks and dress those up or down with various tops, scarves or jewelry. Nobody else cares what you wear.

Learn to layer. If you are going to Alaska, for instance, take a water-proof anorak with a hood, a fleece, and a lightweight silk sweater. That will get you through anything. I also take a pair of mini gloves to Alaska because it can get chilly out on deck while viewing the glaciers. You can always wear pantyhose under the Chicos Travelers pants for extra warmth. These would be the same pantyhose you wear on the dance floor with a slinky short dress in the evening.

Everything you take should be washable, and wrinkle-free. There is no reason to take fussy clothes while traveling, on a ship or otherwise.

Stick to one basic color so you won't need more than one set of accessories. I always go with black pants, tanks, shoes, and purses.

I recently acquired a four-wheel carry-on at Costco. It is very lightweight, almost pushes itself, and I love it. It looks smaller than my old carry-on but it actually holds more.

Freedom of a lot of luggage rules!

We're all different and we all have varying "what-ifs" to pack. Our list is pared down to what we want/need to bring, it took us several cruises before we got really good at it.

I'd nix the hangers and the over the door shoe holder, especially if there are only 2 of you in the cabin. There is plenty of hanging space in the closet, there are shelves in there as well. The bathroom has small shelves next to the mirror and a small counter, with another shelf below the sink. The only space you may need extra storage is in the shower, I've never had a problem with it, but many here state they take a shower caddy.

There is a nightstand on each side of the bed with 2 drawers and a small shelf, the desk area also has some shelf space.

We only take the number of suitcases that we can manage on our own. Much of the time you can find assistance, but for those moments you have to do it yourself, you will be glad you don't have numerous pieces. We typically take a large rolling garment bag, a medium suitcase, one rolling carry on and my large tote bag.

I noticed you asked for recommendations for luggage. You will get as many recommendations as there are brands, so it does get confusing. I sell luggage as a part time job and can tell you, there is all the way from budget sets to single pieces that cost twice the price as your cruise fare.

My suggestion would be, if you possibly can, go in person to a luggage store to compare quality of brands. Most people don't purchase really expensive luggage, but you want a good enough quality that it will last a few years. If you have the budget to buy more expensive luggage, the investment is worth it in wear and tear, many better quality luggage manufacturers will cover even airline damage.

Online luggage stores are not cheaper than in store, if they are they will price match as long as it is a legitimate seller.

Immodium D or something similar if you have gastric issues from time to time. My husband was going thru a period of diarrhea during our last cruise (not unusual for him - for one thing we're very careful about what we eat at home and the type of food you're putting in your stomach (not to mention the amounts at times)can change considerably on a cruise or any vacation. Anyway when he asked for this "over the counter" med, he was immediately placed on quarantine and confined to his room. Although he understood the ship's precautions, he was not a happy camper :) !

Re: the over the door shoe bag. We swear by this and use it heavily. But we usually go on longer cruises (more than 3 weeks). We're going for 14 nights in August and will leave it, and a lot of other things at home. For anything less than 2 weeks, a lot of suggested items just seem like overkill.

Forget the hangers; I have one but never used a shoe organizer (I put toiletries I'm not using every day in Ziplocs and stick them on the shelf under the sink); and line your suitcase with tall kitchen trash bags (much lighter than a pillowcase) and use those for laundry bags (they're also good for packing dirty clothes at the end of the cruise).

Even if I'm going to be gone almost a month, I bring one 28" suitcase and a rolling backpack as my carry-on. The porters will be with you almost immediately to take your bags.

Pack half the clothing you want to bring. There's a big difference between need and want, and you don't need a lot. For Alaska or where there'll be climate changes, pack clothes that layer, nothing heavy or bulky. I put out all the things I think I'd like to bring and then the next day, I ruthlessly remove a lot of it. And, I still have clothes I haven't worn by the end of the cruise.

Cross pack with your partner's bag. In other words, pack half of each person's clothing and half of yours in one bag, halves in the other.

Make sure there are ID tags on each bag and something stuck on it or tied to it so you can quickly identify it from a sea of similar bags. A few years ago, we cruised with a friend and her sister-in-law. When we were disembarking in Southampton, we waited 45 minutes outside the terminal for the sister-in-law to find her black bag. She didn't know what it looked like. Turns out it was right in front the whole time.

I've sailed out of there before. At that time, there were no people taking things at the curb. You had to carry things yourself to the x-ray machine. They took it from there.

On the number of suitcases you need question. It is best to take as many suitcases as required to put all your stuff in. For instance, if you start with 2 suitcases and find that you fill them completely and still have more stuff, you should add a 3rd suitcase. I know some people have said you should get rid of a suitcase at this point, but that is wrong. It is the opposite of what you do. Also, if you get done packing and find that some of the suitcases are completely empty, you do not need to bring them. While bringing them will not hurt anything, it will not help either.

Congratulations one your cruise. Like everyone else has stated, bring half of what you planned. For a one or two weeks cruise we each bring a roll on. We do wash out things as needed, but seldom spend much time in the lundry. ONE MORE suggestion. When flying, cruising or traveling. We take a picture of our cases, several angles, print out and write down the brand name and size and keep it on our person. If they are ever lost it helps with reports and finding the case, and is much better if there is a language problem.

We bring all hang up clothes on metal hangers- inclkuding my tops- I hate those wooden ones you get.

I want a battery operated clock so I know what time it is.

We each bring a carry on size suitcase we can carry on if we want to. We've been cruising since 1984 and we still will bring something we don't wear!

A man does not need pants for each night. My husband brings 2 or may be 3, including his tux he only wears on 1st formal night, who is going to realize he had those pants on night before last?

The ships water is usually very good. No need to bring your own. Also, we use water from melted ice bucket, That is vey good also. They sell bottled water on board but that is a lot of $$$$.

We have never has a need for an over the door shoe organizer. I get 2 or 3 mugs or maybe glasses from the buffet. One wiill have tooth brushes, tooth paste, mouth stuff in it. Other has razor, shaving cream and combs. Other stuff goes in 3rd one.

You will get a paper bag for dirty laundry and can ask for another if and when that gets full. We usually end up putting it on the empty bottom shelf in the shelf closet. Then toss all in one suitcase.

Both of you can have a carry on. I have seen people just carrying on soda, not packing it.

What are you going to do with paper clips, a lot of post its?

They say to put everything on your bed then get rid of 1/2 of it!

Watch out! You're going to become hooked on cruising!!!

Archived