Victoria Butchart Gardens & Afternoon Tea

ShamrockFL

We just toured Buchart Gardens last Thursday -- we spent about 3 hours there. Since it was such a beautiful day we wore Bermudas.

Keep in mind that if you choose to go to the gardens first and then do the Evening Tea -- you can not wear shorts. Which would mean you would have to return back to the ship to change. It is expensive.

I've done tea at both Buchart Gardens and the Empress, but about 15 years apart so it's hard to compare. I seem to recall liking the food better at Buchart Gardens. The Empress was good, but so formal that I kind of felt out of place. I know some people like that, but for me, I felt more comfortable at the Gardens.

Then again, I'm not really into gardens in general and battle allergies. We only went there because my mother loves gardens and really wanted to go. I personally would probably not choose to go to the gardens, but if you do like gardens, Buchart is not to be missed. My mother LOVED it! I would rather go to the Royal BC Museum. Just my preference.

We just toured Buchart Gardens last Thursday -- we spent about 3 hours there. Since it was such a beautiful day we wore Bermudas.

Keep in mind that if you choose to go to the gardens first and then do the Evening Tea -- you can not wear shorts. Which would mean you would have to return back to the ship to change. It is expensive.

Why can't you wear shorts? I just checked the Empress Hotel website and it says no "short shorts"; knee length shorts are just fine.

I'm confused - where are you saying you cannot wear shorts - Butchart Gardens tea or Empress Hotel tea? And certainly one would not go back to the ship to change - I suspect if shorts were not allowed, then a person would simply move along. *shrug*

My DH and I have done what another poster suggested. We toured Butchart Gardens on our own and when we returned to the city we walked through the Empress Hotel. We bought a couple of postcards to remind us of the visit.

I really enjoyed the complete beauty of every part of Butchart Gardens - the flowers were absolutely gorgeous. Mark you, I may be prejudiced because my maiden name was Butchart and I come from the same part of Scotland as the original owners.

Sheila

Butchart Gardens is very large, and there is much to look at. If you love all kinds of plants and want to see a garden that has been artfully laid out with great thought, you would choose this.

The Empress does the same thing with the tradition of afternoon tea. It is artfully laid out with great thought, and it takes time to enjoy.

You will just have to choose one or the other, and then go back again, I'm afraid.

I am having a bit of difficulty wondering how you would make it to the Butchart Gardens for aft tea when the ship docks as late as 2:30? If the gardens are really important to you, I would go there on the bus and enjoy the scenery on the way. The gardens are really worth seeing.

I am finding this whole tread a bit hard to follow. But for the OP a taxi fare from the cruise terminal to Butchart Gardens is going to run about $50 each way. I would not depend on the driver to return for you however the gardens would certainly call one for you. The location of the gardens is a bit rural so you would likely have to wait a bit for a return cab.

For others, CVS Cruise Victoria does offer a hourly service to the gardens, you can take their shuttle from the Ogden Point cruise terminal to the Empress and then transfer to their shuttle that goes out to the gardens. For late afternoon and evening arrivals you best stick with a ships' tour you just don't have time.

Tea, Tea at the Empress is very expensive but there is only one Empress and the Tea is an event that people remember and talk about for rest of their lives. If only for that reason people seem to be quite happy to pay the price....for me it is beer at the Sticky Wicket.:D

I'm confused - where are you saying you cannot wear shorts - Butchart Gardens tea or Empress Hotel tea? And certainly one would not go back to the ship to change - I suspect if shorts were not allowed, then a person would simply move along. *shrug*

I beleive they (Krazy Kruisers), meant the Empress. I was under the same impression, i.e. that just "short shorts" were not acceptable, but others were OK. I hope spomeone can clarify. It's probbaly not likely that it will be shorts weather, but just in case, I would like to be able to wear them if the weather is appropriate. Being from Florida, shorts are virtually permanent attire. Maybe the Empress will respond!!!!

I beleive they (Krazy Kruisers), meant the Empress. I was under the same impression, i.e. that just "short shorts" were not acceptable, but others were OK. I hope spomeone can clarify. It's probbaly not likely that it will be shorts weather, but just in case, I would like to be able to wear them if the weather is appropriate. Being from Florida, shorts are virtually permanent attire. Maybe the Empress will respond!!!!

As I said in my earlier post, I did check the Empress website (see link below). If you scroll down there is a paragraph on Dress Code. The Empress won't respond because I doubt very much they have someone checking these boards.

http://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/dining/afternoontea/

Archived