How much evacuation coverage for a cruise to Med?

What is adequate if one or both of us need the insurance?

Insurance Companies that treat you fairly if something happens?

Really, I don't think you need a whole lot. The Med is a sufficiently developed place that you should be able to get adequate medical care wherever the ship docks. For transport home once you've stabilized (or, for that matter repatriation of your remains), it's not very expensive.

Really, I don't think you need a whole lot. The Med is a sufficiently developed place that you should be able to get adequate medical care wherever the ship docks. For transport home once you've stabilized (or, for that matter repatriation of your remains), it's not very expensive.

I find that the differences in finding policies with added evacuation coverage are not high. If you are at sea this could be key. Again, for the additional price, I think the protection is well worth it.

Keith

I find that the differences in finding policies with added evacuation coverage are not high. If you are at sea this could be key. Again, for the additional price, I think the protection is well worth it.

Keith

Who in the Med is going to evacuate you at sea? I don't know, but how far are you ever from a port?

Who in the Med is going to evacuate you at sea? I don't know, but how far are you ever from a port?

I have seen it happen. I've also seen it happen off the coast of England where we could have been in port within three hours.

As I said the price for the added insurance is not very large.

It all comes down to cost versus how much risk you want to take.

Ten years ago I didn't think of doing it but you know after taking four full world cruises plus one half of one I've seen enough that it is worth it to me no matter where we sail now.

On top of this you could be in port but want to be evacuated to another country after you are stabilized. There are certainly some places where I don't want to be there very long.

The same applies to how much of your trip you want to cover. Some people automatically insure 100%. Other don't insure any amount and only get the medical coverage. It comes

down to the cost of the insurance versus how much risk you want to take.

I don't want to mess with being cheap on the health portion and that includes evacuation.

Keith

• 2 months later...

Sister is having an issue right now. They are in Greece and DH was riding a moped hit some gravel and was slammed to the ground. He dislocated his collarbone, broke his clavicle and 4 ribs and punctured a lung. The doctors in the hospital have stated that he cannot fly home w/o medical assistance. This is not a cheap service. ALSO .... a note. If you plan on riding a moped which I discourage, GET the moped rider on the insurance! Since my sister did not buy that, they are not covering any of his medical treatment.:eek:

Sorry to hear this.

A moped is dangerous.

It is a good reminder of the importance of insurance.

I will error on the side of having too much when it comes to the medical side

Keith

Thanks. I too never leave w/o plenty of ins. ... just cause you never know!

Turned out that sister had also gotten insurance through Princess and it is covering most of the medical and their flight with a doctor back to the states!:D

Archived