2015 Europe recommendations

Boatingmom

My family has always cruised the Caribbean. In 2015 my Son will graduate high school. He loves cruising and all things travel. I am considering a European cruise in June 2015 to celebrate his achievement. Can anybody recommend an itinerary?? We would be cruising with 15, 17, 55 & 54 year olds. It MUST include Italy. Am I crazy or what?:D

Personnally, I prefer the Eastern Med, but it really depends on what you and your family want to see. I would break Europe roughly into 4 areas - Baltic, British Isles, Western Med and Eastern Med. Some cruises hit more than one area. For instance the Grand Med cruises usually hit both the Eastern and Western Med.

Both the Eastern & Western Med usually include Italy. Western would mostly add Soain and France. While Eastern would include the Adriatic, Greece, Turkey and Egypt (not all on an itinerary).

So you need to narrow down you preference.

We took our 17 year old son on the Mediteranean Grand last summer. He loved all of the ports, but Barcelona was his favorite city! He also really like Monte Carlo. I like the fact that this itinerary combines Eastern and Western. Turkey is really historical, Mykonos is breathtaking but Florence and the Tuscan countryside was my absolute favorite.

Cruise Critic was so helpful when planning a trip that I knew nothing about. Good luck!

Many thanks. Now I know where to start. Maybe I'll be lucky enough for the new royal Pricess??? One can dream:D
The Royal Princess is doing the Grand Med (Barcelona/Venice) in 2013. When her sister (Regal Princess?) is launched in 2014 she might take over the Grand Med or the Ruby's itineraries.

I have to go along with the crowd and vote for Princess's Grand Med. How can you beat this itinerary: 2 continents, 5 countrys, 5 languages, 10 ports in 12 days? That being said, there are many things to consider. I for one prefer to start in Barcelona because the hotels are much more reasonable and touring on your own is cheaper. I find that 2 days pre-cruise is essential for my clock to get readjusted for a flight from the midwest or Florida. Ending in Venice gives you the option; travel home debarkation day or stay on a day or two.

I use to think I was crazy to start planing this far out, so I kept it to myself. That was before I knew about these CC boards. If you are about to spend $15 to $20k for a holiday, you'll want to get all the info you can so you can feel like you got your money's worth. I love Princess and the Royal would be wonderful but the fact is...........you'll be spending very little time aboard with you eyes open. So it may pay to shop especially cruising with 4 people. I know NCL Spirit does the same itinerary for 2012 and I'd guess it will do so in the future and for less. Only you can make that decision. The nice thing is you have time to get the cabin/ cabins of choice this far in the future.

And be careful about throwing those coins into Trevi Fountain...........I know......it cost me 3 trips to Italy.

What a wonderful thing to do! One last trip before the kids grow up and move out. IMHO, I suggest you start or end in Rome, then give yourself a couple of days to really see the city with a private guide.

On graduation from college we took our daughter on a 12 day Barcelona to Istanbul Grand Mediterranean cruise. She loved it. We overnighted in Barcelona to start with giving us an extra day there prior to the cruise day there. That cruise included Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Naples (Pompeii, Herculaneum), Venice (overnight stay), Athens, Kushadasi (Ephesus), and Istanbul.

However we've also had a cruise starting from Rome's port - and we got a bus tour of Rome on the way to the port due to very early flight arrival time.

Having been to Rome before it was a nice refresher, but a bit like window shopping - there were places we'd like to visit longer. Rome hotels can be quite expensive.

Archived