How far from port is Phillipsburg

Looking at an excursion that drops you in Phillipsburg for shopping or takes you back to the ship.

How far is it from Phillipsburg to the dock area? Can you walk it with no problem?

Thanks

Front St is a pretty long street and it takes a good 30 minutes to walk through just the shopping area. That is with no stops. From the end of the shopping area it is about another 15 minutes to the pier where the ship docks. It is a flat easy walk and if you just keep walking with the water on your right hand side you will find your way to the pier with no difficulties. You can have the taxi drop you half way up Front Street and you will still have lots of stores to stop into prior to walking back to the ship. The taxis at the end of the shopping area were driving people to the ship for $3pp last year when we were there on a cruise stop.

Looking at an excursion that drops you in Phillipsburg for shopping or takes you back to the ship.

How far is it from Phillipsburg to the dock area? Can you walk it with no problem?

Thanks

After shopping take the water taxi back to the ship..no need to walk.

After shopping take the water taxi back to the ship..no need to walk.

Great idea. Perfect for taking pictures of the town behind you and your ship ahead of you. There is great shopping in the area where the water taxi leaves from in town so if you ask to be dropped off near the Front St pier(someone please help me as the name is escaping me) then you will know where to go to catch it for the return to the ship. How much is one way on the water taxi BTW?

Thanks

I wouldn't bother with a taxi for either part. It was a very easy walk and seemed very quick - plus we enjoyed watching the goats on the mountainside on the way. I think it was about a 15 minute walk? Very easy. I have heard, and it appeared likely from what I saw, that due to the narrow roads and traffic, it is quicker to walk than to take a taxi.

This was one of the easiest ports to just walk off with no plans and stroll to the beach and shopping - very nice.

The water taxi is $4.00 one way and $6.00 for an unlimited pass. Well worth it to take it into town and back. The walk from the pier to the town is not recommended by many people, but I haven't tried it.

I took a bunch of nice pictures during the ride.

The water taxi is $4.00 one way and $6.00 for an unlimited pass. Well worth it to take it into town and back. The walk from the pier to the town is not recommended by many people, but I haven't tried it.

I took a bunch of nice pictures during the ride.

I agree that there are great picture opportunities on the water taxi but if you like to get exercise the walk to town/ back to the ship is a very easy walk. I don't know of anyone who would not recommend it anymore since it has been fixed up with very nice sidewalks.

This was a very easy, flat walk along a wide walkway, somewhat shaded by palm trees at the beginning. The only thing that may get you is the heat. Took us between 10-15 min to get to the beginning of Front St. and we did not rush.

We stopped in a little shop in this beginning part and got frozen Dasani bottles. The guy said they would last the whole day and they did even though I was using them as cold compresses. $1.50 each. Wish I remembered his shop's name!

We walked a little more to http://www.best-stmartin.com/detail.asp?storeID=5137&catID=2&typID=16 I saw the cheapest liquor prices here. I got a Cointreau for $22 and they sent it to the ship (I paid cash) They also had Guavaberry Rum for $15. (by the ship it is $18).

Behind the courthouse, 1 street over, (Backstreet) we went to the bus stop and took the local bus $2 pp to Maho. Easy walk from the roundabout drop off point.

We took a taxi back because it was so hot out.

We think that St. Maarten has the cheapest booze of anywhere in the Caribbean.

I also recommend Friendly see the discussion in this earlier thread.

gary

So how does it work if you are flying in and out of st Maarten? Are you Llowed to bring liquor on the plane? Even a non direct flight?

Thanks Gary for all your help

If you have a direct flight, then you can put booze in your checked luggage if you purchased it before check-in, or carry it on if purchased after security (near the gate as you wait for your flight -- this will be a bit more expensive).

If you have a connecting flight, you can do either of the above, but at the connecting airport you will have to stuff any carry-on booze into your checked luggage after claiming and clearing customs. You can't carry it on to your connecting flight.

TSA allows up to five liters, but it has to be 140 proof or less -- no Bacardi 151. :)

gary

Archived