Anyone went to Prudhoe Bay with cruiseline?

Stevie44875

I am just starting my research into cruise tours. My husband really wants to go to Coldfoot and Prudhoe bay. I did some research and DIY isn't really an option since most rental cars you don't and shouldn't take on Dalton. I haven't found a good tour at a decent cost to justify not doing the cruise tour instead of DIY. Has anyone did the cruise tour that went to Prudhoe bay? I have searched the boards and couldn't find any information. Thanks!

There are a couple of rental companies that specialize in cars outfitted for the Dalton Hwy. It's not cheap but neither is flying :). Arctic-outfitters is one vendor. Google 'Dalton Highway rental car' for others. You need 3 days.

There are several vendors who have fly in trips for the day or fly in/van back or van both ways. Northern Alaska Tours is one company. Google Dalton hwy tours and you'll find others. Or go to the Fairbanks forum on tripadvisor. I think there's a list under Top Questions. The smaller planes will give you a more scenic trip since they fly at a lower altitude. Alaska Airlines will give you more time in Prudhoe Bay since they fly faster and higher but not as scenic. Alaska probably has an package deal for overnight trips.

http://www.alaskaair.com/planbook/destinations/prudhoebay-alaska-overview

We tried the drive in a little rental car and quickly learned why mainstream companies prohibit the Dalton. We came across a couple of cars flipped over in a ditch and thought ' hmmm what would it cost to have a tow truck drive all the way out here from Fairbanks then drive back?" We turned back after 2 hrs. I'd like to try it again but in a properly equipped car. It's supposed to be an interesting drive. But I'd also like to get to Barrow one day which is a very interesting community.

By far you get a superior Prudhoe Bay tour, going with an independent tour company. I went last year.

The cruisetours, are limited where they can stop and pull over, it is endless scenery, also a large bus is less than ideal with the number of people. Add to the mix, the grossly unprepared people complaining. :) ( I have seen this repeatively at the Coldfoot Roadhouse. )

I have gone with Northern Alaska tours three times, and highly recommend them.

I have been at Prudhoe/Deadhorse when the tours came in for the overnight stay. Most of the women were very unhappy about.....everything. The accomodations are basic, the food is expensive and not fancy and the tour info is all technical.

In fact many of the women visitors talked so much during the presentations that no one could hear anything but them!

I have been at Prudhoe/Deadhorse when the tours came in for the overnight stay. Most of the women were very unhappy about.....everything. The accomodations are basic, the food is expensive and not fancy and the tour info is all technical.

In fact many of the women visitors talked so much during the presentations that no one could hear anything but them!

But, IF, you are a "certain" type of traveler. :) :) :) It is a superb place to see. I so enjoyed it.

But, IF, you are a "certain" type of traveler. :) :) :) It is a superb place to see. I so enjoyed it.

BQ. you are more than a tourist and more than a traveler. You go for the gusto!

i respect you for that and am very glad that I did a great deal of the same when younger.

Being at Prudhoe/Deadhorse and having people say 'how can you stand it?' when I was very happy,.......it hurt.

Thats just sad to hear about. I guess people should research where they are going because if they knew about Prudhoe Bay and Coldfoot they would know there is nothing around and you won't get Hilton accomodations. I would love to see what its like up there but really don't want to be stuck with people that don't care to see the area. Maybe will looking into private then.

• 4 weeks later...

Air Alaska had a tour to Barrow. You could go for the day or for an overnight. It wasn't cheap but it was great.

We left from Anchorage and had a stop in Fairbanks. When we left Fairbanks the pilot told us we couldn't land in Barrow due to weather but that we would go and see how it was when we got there. Fortunately the weather had changed and we could land.

We really did not expect to get off the plane on July 31 and see snow flurries but we did. Our guide and most of the kids we saw playing outside were wearing shorts and tshirts. We were all wearing heavy coats and gloves. It was 32F.

We were lucky in that the entire coast of the Artic Ocean was covered with pack ice and ice bergs. It was really beautiful.

It was something we will never forget.

Archived