Mykonos, what's the likelihood ...

Dorset Cruiser

Over the years I've been reading Cruise Critic, there haven't been a lot of reports of cancellations due to winds on Eastern Med itineraries -- but with that said, the port most often affected does seem to be Mykonos. They experience the Meltemi winds there in July and August that can kick up considerably, as you can read here:

http://gogreece.about.com/cs/weather/a/meltemiwind.htm

This is one reason why the streets are built to be so winding in Mykonos town -- to protect from the winds.

I don't think it's possible to give an assurance as to cancellations. They don't happen too often, but they CAN happen, especially in July, August, and even into September, which is the prime time for these winds.

As the article says these regular winds come in the afternoon and we depart Mykonos just after lunch, I think I will take the risk as the resort looks very nice indeed and works out a lot less expensive than the ship beach transfer.

We have visited Mykonos before on a very windy September day so do not really want to stay around Mykonos town. The tendering process that day was interesting to say the least. The return tender had serious leakage problems and we returned to the ship absolutely soaked through and were given free laundry facilities. That was on Dawn Princess, so hope that the tenders on Crown Princess are more waterproof.

that our tendered cruise stop in August will be cancelled because of bad weather/rough seas? Looking to non-cancelable book day passes to Saint John resort. What are the odds I will lose my money?

Generally, in the Med, things are fairly calm in the Greek Isle areas at this time of the year. You can check http://www.wunderground.com

for more info and look at their historical data at that location for when you will be visiting Mykonos.

It could happen, but the betting odds are very much in your favor.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 92,806 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We have visited Mykonos before on a very windy September day so do not really want to stay around Mykonos town. The tendering process that day was interesting to say the least. The return tender had serious leakage problems and we returned to the ship absolutely soaked through and were given free laundry facilities. That was on Dawn Princess, so hope that the tenders on Crown Princess are more waterproof.

Does the itinerary definitely say you will be tendering or are you assuming that because you tendered there before? When we went on Emerald Princess a couple of years ago, we docked.

Check out the thread "St John Resort Mykonos"-one poster indicated they could not make their reservation at St John hotel because the ship could not dock/tender because of weather, and they were not charged on their credit card, even though the notice sent to the hotel was later than the 24 hour cancellation period posted by the hotel-this may give you some comfort! We are planning to book this hotel for our day in Mykonos in September-we are tendering from Splendour of the Seas.

Does the itinerary definitely say you will be tendering or are you assuming that because you tendered there before? When we went on Emerald Princess a couple of years ago, we docked.

Does say tender port. Would much prefer to dock after our last experience:eek:

Check out the thread "St John Resort Mykonos"-one poster indicated they could not make their reservation at St John hotel because the ship could not dock/tender because of weather, and they were not charged on their credit card, even though the notice sent to the hotel was later than the 24 hour cancellation period posted by the hotel-this may give you some comfort! We are planning to book this hotel for our day in Mykonos in September-we are tendering from Splendour of the Seas.

Thanks for that. We are going to book the hotel. It looks lovely. We have free internet on the ship so can let them know if a decision is taken to miss Mykonos.

I read on this board that only one ship can dock in Mykonos, that it may be first come, first served and that Princess says it's a tender port in case that's what happens. Not sure if this information is up to date. We docked when we were there three years ago but I can't put this into context.

Well, que sera. If we tender, we tender and if we dock, we dock and if Captain Nash decides to skip Mykonos, I will be very annoyed, especially as we are already skipping Rhodes:mad:

But Rhodes is being skipped due to "operational" reasons.

Which cruise are you on?

Crown Princess, 4 August Venice to Rome. Surely any time they skip a port, its 'operational':confused:

Sometimes they have a reason they are sharing with us passengers. For instance Princess has dropped Acapulco from our trip on the Grand next year and said it was due to safety concerns.

We have three cruises on the Crown in October. Hoping we will make Mykonos on at least one or two. :)

I read on this board that only one ship can dock in Mykonos, that it may be first come, first served and that Princess says it's a tender port in case that's what happens. Not sure if this information is up to date. We docked when we were there three years ago but I can't put this into context.

There are actually spaces for two ships to dock, I believe. At least that was the case on our last visit. Other than that, ships must tender. On the plus side, the tender takes you right into town. On the minus side, it can take a while on the larger ships.

that our tendered cruise stop in August will be cancelled because of bad weather/rough seas? Looking to non-cancelable book day passes to Saint

John resort. What are the odds I will lose my money?

This port was cancelled for us last month because of 50mph winds. Port Authority closed Mykonos to all ships...we were very disappointed! Apparently the port is not protected like the other islands. :( All our other stops were fine so you never know...

Generally, in the Med, things are fairly calm in the Greek Isle areas at this time of the year.

It could happen, but the betting odds are very much in your favor.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We were in Eastern Med In August 2010 & couldn't go to Santorini due to high winds:- we did have a few "windy" days in that area I must say:cool:

Archived